best budget f class scope ?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: best budget f class scope ?

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

scotty87 wrote:What about the weaver T series, like the t36, or is a variable better for f class?

The Weaver t24 was the 2nd link in my last post. Would be just fine. For starting out, too much magnification can make every little movement look massive and put you off. I'm no 'gun' (pardon the pun) but can get a few Xs with my 17x scope.

edit: 600yd max at this stage.
Last edited by Gwion on 02 Jun 2016, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

Chronos wrote:Tony I've got a bushnell tactical 5-15 mildot scope here I could let you have for a load of your in Sydney. It's not getting used for a while and it might let you decide whether or not you want to buy something better.

Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Chronos

I'd be jumping on that loan offer, Tony. Good luck and have fun, mate. It is all a bit addictive!!! :crazy: :wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tony308 » 03 Jun 2016, 5:48 pm

everything I have looked at for under 500 bucks is crap over 12 power,like looking through the dirty fish tank,the fixed 10 power bushy was best out to 600
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 Jun 2016, 6:14 pm

Fixed power probably isn't a bad way to go.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 03 Jun 2016, 7:49 pm

Gwion wrote:Fixed power probably isn't a bad way to go.

2nd that. If you're looking at scopes around or below the $500 mark you'll most likely get better glass and repeatability if you give up the variable zoom feature. 10x is plenty to get you out to 5-600
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tony308 » 04 Jun 2016, 5:15 pm

cheers guys
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 04 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

It's embarrassing, especially for a Yank, but I had to look up "F Class."

I'm more of an F Stuff Up Class kinda mate. Bring your appliances, tin cans, or anything that blows up or catches on fire.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by NuZo » 05 Jun 2016, 9:21 am

Chronos wrote:Without knowing how much the op wants to spend it's difficult to suggest anything but here goes

A mate bought a Tasco 10-40X50 target varmint used and fitted it on an Omark. The whole package cost around $500.

I told him it was a waste of money and to buy something better. Every time he shoots it it seems to shoot around 1/2 Moa. On the weekend he shot it next to my rifle and did quite well. I offered him a few shots from my gun. He put 3 shots into 1/4moa and one of his first comments was how clear my scope was.

Jut my humble opinion but spend as much as you can afford on a scope. You put a lot of money and energy into shooting competitions, it's be a shame to have a sub standard scope hold back your development or worse, let you down by failing during a comp.

Chronos

Ahem, The scope was bought new for $240 :D

Chronos is totally right though. The quality difference between his NF and my Tasco is out of this world. I could clearly see his five 6mm holes all tightly grouped together but when looking through my scope it looked like one big blob of a hole. Not to mention his scope handles the mirage much, much better than mine.

"You get what you pay for"

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 06 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm

When it comes to optics ( compared to firearms ) ...

"you get what you pay for" is very sage advice.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Press » 14 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

tony308 wrote:everything I have looked at for under 500 bucks is crap over 12 power,like looking through the dirty fish tank

Great description :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 14 Jun 2016, 4:03 pm

I was sighting in my F-Class rifle today. The group in the middle (the red centre bull) were shot off a Caldwell Rock front rest, no name rear bag and Bushnell Elite 6-24 x 50. I've got a 4.5-30x50 to try out next week. Rifle was an Interams Mark X that's about 60 years old with a Black Mountain barrel. 100 yard group.

20160614_154852.jpg
.308 165gn HPBT, 100yds.
20160614_154852.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6539 times
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics