best budget f class scope ?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

best budget f class scope ?

Post by tony308 » 01 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

howa 1500,308cal :crazy:
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: best budget f class scope ?

Post by Gwion » 01 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

One persons 'budget' could be $300; another's may be $3000......

What is your "budget"?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 01 Jun 2016, 7:20 pm

I think you miss the ( O.P expectations ) point, Gwion.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jun 2016, 7:35 pm

The definition of budget varies immensely for each person based on disposable income and as Gwion quite rightly asks the OP's idea of budget. So to the O.P, what sort of money are you looking to spend on a scope? Some of the members who shoot F Class on here have probably spent anything from a few hundred up to and over 4 thousand on scopes. If by budget you're looking for something on the cheaper side that will get you started then the Vortex range is probably you're best bang for buck, I'll let others recommend a model as I don't shoot F Class and don't own any Vortex rifle scopes.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 Jun 2016, 7:37 pm

Maybe. But best scope under a price is easier to discuss.

My Sightron is a budget scope for some but the best I could afford. I don't personally think you'll get a scope suited to f-class for under $700 odd or more.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 01 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm

... we all know where the O.P. was starting / coming from ...

Why try and f**k with him / her ?

( I always want to encourage new chums to the game )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

Not trying to screw with anyone. Honestly want to know a budget range. I went through this last year trying to choose a scope for f-class.

Instead of having a go at me why not make a suggestion to the OP?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jun 2016, 6:18 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 8663 times

Vortex, XLT, Banner, Nikko Stirling. They are at the bottom end but useable. Then moving up to Nikon, Meopta, vortex again, redfield.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 Jun 2016, 7:09 am

Besides a Bushnell Banner I bought for my first Sako ( when a kid ) ... I've always used Leupold.

I consider the Leupold range to be good quality, which covers most budgets.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Jun 2016, 8:19 am

Without knowing how much the op wants to spend it's difficult to suggest anything but here goes

A mate bought a Tasco 10-40X50 target varmint used and fitted it on an Omark. The whole package cost around $500.

I told him it was a waste of money and to buy something better. Every time he shoots it it seems to shoot around 1/2 Moa. On the weekend he shot it next to my rifle and did quite well. I offered him a few shots from my gun. He put 3 shots into 1/4moa and one of his first comments was how clear my scope was.

Next is suggest stepping up to one of the sightron Siii scopes in 6-24 or 8-32. I did own a Siii 10-50X60 but wasn't overly impressed with it over 36X so an 8-32 would make more sense IMHO

Third step up in budged is suggest a Nightforce BR model in 8-32 or 12-42. I use a 12-42 on my rifle and they me up used for around $1100 and new we're as low $1500 a few years ago. You see dozens of BR's on the firing line at a F class or 500m fly shoot and with good reason.

Jut my humble opinion but spend as much as you can afford on a scope. You put a lot of money and energy into shooting competitions, it's be a shame to have a sub standard scope hold back your development or worse, let you down by failing during a comp.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 8:38 am

Chronos has some good points above.

Consider that in disciplines like F-class, you want reliable turret tracking for both elevation and windage. I started with my Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. While i could see the bull at 5-600, after a few months, the frequent dialing for wind and elevation showed the turret tracking limitations of this sort of scope for that application when it would not go back to the same zero for 100yd after shooting 500 & 600, etc.. I still use it for set and forget hunting rifle but stepped up quite a bit to get good, reliable tracking. The Vortex DB is around $250-350, depending on mag and options, yet the other Vortex sitting on a clubs rifle is a PST and has held zero and been dependable for tracking for 2 years and they start at about $800 and go up to around $1100. They also do a very similar scope called the HST, which comes in at around the $700 mark.

In all honesty, this is the base budget price that i would start looking at scopes for this application. I don't have much money, so i would go cheaper if i could.

Can anyone name a scope under $500 (or even $700) that can reliably deal with regular adjustments to elevation and windage from shot to shot and return to a reliable zero at the end of the shoot?

There are a couple of Weavers and Clearidge scopes that would do the job well, but again, think they are around the $700 mark.

(all prices in US$ so add about %38 for exchange currently)
http://theopticzone.com/product/weaver- ... te-800363/
http://theopticzone.com/product/weaver- ... te-849976/
http://theopticzone.com/product-categor ... flescopes/
http://theopticzone.com/product-categor ... flescopes/ (cheapest on this list)
http://theopticzone.com/product/sightro ... tte-63040/
http://theopticzone.com/product/sightro ... tte-26006/ (what i ended up buying)
http://theopticzone.com/product/vortex- ... e-vhs4308/
http://theopticzone.com/product/vortex- ... pst416s1a/
http://theopticzone.com/product/nikon-m ... atte-6774/ (varying reviews on tracking when dialling regularly)

Anyway... good luck: but just remember, it's cheaper to buy a $800 scope than it is to buy a $400 scope and then a $600 scope and then a $1000 scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Jun 2016, 12:20 pm

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 on my .308 Howa varmint. Very good scope and fairly repeatable adjustment can be had for around $1000-$1100 you can get lower powered ones with similar features for less money!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tony308 » 02 Jun 2016, 1:05 pm

cheers for all the input guys,i found a bushnell banner 6-24x40mm for a song so I will see how it fares,im not expecting to much from it,but we will see
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Jun 2016, 1:19 pm

Hope it goes well for you. Beware though if you haven't bought it yet that is Bushnells BOTTOM line. more suited to a set and forget at X-amount of meters rifle rather than a target rifle that needs to be adjusted up down left and right regularly. If you are keen for a look there is a thread on Bushnell scopes and you will find info on others experiences with them. Essentially there are 4 grades of Bushnell scopes. Their TOP Elite line (with 4 sub lines 3500/4500/6500/Tactical)
Next best is the Legend HD Line
After that is the Trophy Line
And finally their entry level Banner Series
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tony308 » 02 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

cheers mate,maybe the bushnell elite 3200 fixed 10 might be a better choice,till I can step up
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Jun 2016, 6:20 pm

Tony I've got a bushnell tactical 5-15 mildot scope here I could let you have for a load of your in Sydney. It's not getting used for a while and it might let you decide whether or not you want to buy something better.

Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 02 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

What about the weaver T series, like the t36, or is a variable better for f class?
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 02 Jun 2016, 8:19 pm

I've been using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on my Creedmoor, and it tracks really well, however I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to one with target turrets that I can adjust a bit easier. The current Viper is around the $700-$800 mark.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

scotty87 wrote:What about the weaver T series, like the t36, or is a variable better for f class?

The Weaver t24 was the 2nd link in my last post. Would be just fine. For starting out, too much magnification can make every little movement look massive and put you off. I'm no 'gun' (pardon the pun) but can get a few Xs with my 17x scope.

edit: 600yd max at this stage.
Last edited by Gwion on 02 Jun 2016, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

Chronos wrote:Tony I've got a bushnell tactical 5-15 mildot scope here I could let you have for a load of your in Sydney. It's not getting used for a while and it might let you decide whether or not you want to buy something better.

Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Chronos

I'd be jumping on that loan offer, Tony. Good luck and have fun, mate. It is all a bit addictive!!! :crazy: :wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tony308 » 03 Jun 2016, 5:48 pm

everything I have looked at for under 500 bucks is crap over 12 power,like looking through the dirty fish tank,the fixed 10 power bushy was best out to 600
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 Jun 2016, 6:14 pm

Fixed power probably isn't a bad way to go.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 03 Jun 2016, 7:49 pm

Gwion wrote:Fixed power probably isn't a bad way to go.

2nd that. If you're looking at scopes around or below the $500 mark you'll most likely get better glass and repeatability if you give up the variable zoom feature. 10x is plenty to get you out to 5-600
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tony308 » 04 Jun 2016, 5:15 pm

cheers guys
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 04 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

It's embarrassing, especially for a Yank, but I had to look up "F Class."

I'm more of an F Stuff Up Class kinda mate. Bring your appliances, tin cans, or anything that blows up or catches on fire.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by NuZo » 05 Jun 2016, 9:21 am

Chronos wrote:Without knowing how much the op wants to spend it's difficult to suggest anything but here goes

A mate bought a Tasco 10-40X50 target varmint used and fitted it on an Omark. The whole package cost around $500.

I told him it was a waste of money and to buy something better. Every time he shoots it it seems to shoot around 1/2 Moa. On the weekend he shot it next to my rifle and did quite well. I offered him a few shots from my gun. He put 3 shots into 1/4moa and one of his first comments was how clear my scope was.

Jut my humble opinion but spend as much as you can afford on a scope. You put a lot of money and energy into shooting competitions, it's be a shame to have a sub standard scope hold back your development or worse, let you down by failing during a comp.

Chronos

Ahem, The scope was bought new for $240 :D

Chronos is totally right though. The quality difference between his NF and my Tasco is out of this world. I could clearly see his five 6mm holes all tightly grouped together but when looking through my scope it looked like one big blob of a hole. Not to mention his scope handles the mirage much, much better than mine.

"You get what you pay for"

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 06 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm

When it comes to optics ( compared to firearms ) ...

"you get what you pay for" is very sage advice.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Press » 14 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

tony308 wrote:everything I have looked at for under 500 bucks is crap over 12 power,like looking through the dirty fish tank

Great description :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 14 Jun 2016, 4:03 pm

I was sighting in my F-Class rifle today. The group in the middle (the red centre bull) were shot off a Caldwell Rock front rest, no name rear bag and Bushnell Elite 6-24 x 50. I've got a 4.5-30x50 to try out next week. Rifle was an Interams Mark X that's about 60 years old with a Black Mountain barrel. 100 yard group.

20160614_154852.jpg
.308 165gn HPBT, 100yds.
20160614_154852.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6542 times
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics