Cheap scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Cheap scope

Post by Mongrel » 29 Jul 2016, 11:09 am

GCCA wrote:http://www.buyusedguns.com.au/nikko-stirling-6-24x44-lrx-nighteater--3231.html

Cheers mate. Well that is pretty cheap makes me wonder why.
I will do some research on it and go from there.

Thanks again
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sakoBC » 29 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm

It seems that others are having a good experience with Nikko Stirling. If they sell enough of them there are bound to be a few less than perfect examples. My experience with Nikko Stirling in the last two years has been positive (they gave me a full refund) and negative (two scopes failed).

I had an illuminated model on my 30/30. After a few months the illumination stopped working. The LGS sent it away and was advised that they had been authorised to provide a full refund.
Gave them another go with the refund money and purchased a Diamond model 3-9x for a .243. After a few months the turrets stopped working. I turned the turret and there was no clicking noise and no adjustment. Back to the LGS, followed by a full refund.
For scopes in this price bracket it is probably cheaper for them to offer a quick refund than try to fix the scope. Quality control could have improved by now.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jul 2016, 2:02 pm

Hey Mongrel,
If you need some work done on your scope you might want to try

Malcolm Eames in Brisbane
opticalrepairs.com.au
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 29 Jul 2016, 4:39 pm

sakoBC wrote:It seems that others are having a good experience with Nikko Stirling. If they sell enough of them there are bound to be a few less than perfect examples. My experience with Nikko Stirling in the last two years has been positive (they gave me a full refund) and negative (two scopes failed).

I had an illuminated model on my 30/30. After a few months the illumination stopped working. The LGS sent it away and was advised that they had been authorised to provide a full refund.
Gave them another go with the refund money and purchased a Diamond model 3-9x for a .243. After a few months the turrets stopped working. I turned the turret and there was no clicking noise and no adjustment. Back to the LGS, followed by a full refund.
For scopes in this price bracket it is probably cheaper for them to offer a quick refund than try to fix the scope. Quality control could have improved by now.

Good to hear there after sales support is great but having 2 scopes fail is kinda discouraging.

Wm.Traynor wrote:Hey Mongrel,
If you need some work done on your scope you might want to try

Malcolm Eames in Brisbane
opticalrepairs.com.au

Dont think mine needs work mate, it is what it is. It gets me to the range and im thankful for that. I have started saving for a scope and then this one will go on a 22 as that will be my next gun :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bobnob » 02 Aug 2016, 4:07 am

If you can up the ante to a couple hundred the Weaver K6 are great for the money.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 02 Aug 2016, 6:35 am

I was harrasing one of the dealers I buy from who mentioned a cheapie scope on fleabay that were circa $150-200 that are up to 24x zoom. I'm yet to buy one, but, he reckons the glass in these are just as good as the more expensive.

For this person to suggest these, when he had a cupboard full of the label one's tells me something.

Beware of counterfeit Leopold "target scopes." The dodgies are getting very good at this....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 02 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

bobnob wrote:If you can up the ante to a couple hundred the Weaver K6 are great for the money.

I have heard a couple pple say weaver are pretty good :)

bluerob wrote:I was harrasing one of the dealers I buy from who mentioned a cheapie scope on fleabay that were circa $150-200 that are up to 24x zoom. I'm yet to buy one, but, he reckons the glass in these are just as good as the more expensive.

For this person to suggest these, when he had a cupboard full of the label one's tells me something.

Beware of counterfeit Leopold "target scopes." The dodgies are getting very good at this....

Cheers mate, im sure there all didgies out there of most brands :evil:
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 08 Aug 2016, 2:06 pm

bobnob wrote:If you can up the ante to a couple hundred the Weaver K6 are great for the money.

Worth looking at.

Sometimes adding that little extra cash really gets you a lot more scope that'll last you forever. (or at least ages).

Works out cheaper than the false economy of buying cheap and replacing it that people fall into.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics