New Tikka 3x low mount to fit vx1 3x9x40?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

New Tikka 3x low mount to fit vx1 3x9x40?

Post by Cooper » 22 Aug 2016, 8:45 am

I have a new Tikka 3x (lite) on order and was going to a Leupold VX1 3x9 x40. I was thinking about using a DNZ one piece mount in Low to fit it? Anybody know if this will work? I was thinking about ordering a medium mount to be safe. But would prefer to mount the scope as low as possible. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: New Tikka 3x low mount to fit vx1 3x9x40?

Post by Tank » 22 Aug 2016, 10:20 am

Cooper wrote:I have a new Tikka 3x (lite) on order and was going to a Leupold VX1 3x9 x40. I was thinking about using a DNZ one piece mount in Low to fit it? Anybody know if this will work? I was thinking about ordering a medium mount to be safe. But would prefer to mount the scope as low as possible. Thanks

Yeah mate,
Got a T3 Super Varmint with standard pic rail Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm tube) and Warne low mounts. It's a good fit.
Regs,
Tank.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4979 times
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Aug 2016, 10:55 am

I've got a 4-12x44 Vortex Crossfire II on a Tikka T3 lite using the standard supplied mounts, works OK for me.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 22 Aug 2016, 11:53 am

RoginaJack wrote:I've got a 4-12x44 Vortex Crossfire II on a Tikka T3 lite using the standard supplied mounts, works OK for me.

The new Tikka T3X doesn't come with mounts. I was going to order a DNZ game reaper one piece mount separately as I already have the scope. Was pretty sure it would work fine. Just double checking. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 22 Aug 2016, 12:24 pm

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Get the bell diameter, ring height etc and the link above will say how much clearance you have between bell and barrel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Aug 2016, 4:02 pm

Cooper wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:I've got a 4-12x44 Vortex Crossfire II on a Tikka T3 lite using the standard supplied mounts, works OK for me.

The new Tikka T3X doesn't come with mounts. I was going to order a DNZ game reaper one piece mount separately as I already have the scope. Was pretty sure it would work fine. Just double checking. Thanks

Bummer!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Pom » 02 Dec 2016, 9:22 am

I reckon nearly all rifles will come without mounts in time.

Half of us toss them anyway for aftermarket stuff, only a matter of time before they start leaving them out to save money.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 02 Dec 2016, 10:04 am

I ended up getting DNZ mount in medium to be safe. I like the one piece mount. So easy to install and looks pretty solid.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ilc » 18 Dec 2016, 8:39 am

How much clearance did you end up with? I'm going through the same exercise and would like the scope as low as possible.

The low mounts are 3mm lower, in retrospect do you think these would have been OK?
ilc
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 19 Dec 2016, 7:43 am

ilc wrote:How much clearance did you end up with? I'm going through the same exercise and would like the scope as low as possible.

The low mounts are 3mm lower, in retrospect do you think these would have been OK?

I'll measure it tonight and post up. I reckon the low would have worked. I'll double check the measurement and let you know.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 8:34 am

I went with the Leupold mounts on my T3x with a 3-9x50 objective it's a nice fit (might have been medium height rings) can't remember now but will try and have a look at the pack. I did try the T3 rings they gave me but they were just a little low unfortunately.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Monty » 19 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

Perfect fit there :thumbsup:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2016, 1:17 pm

Monty wrote:Perfect fit there :thumbsup:

Yep suits this blokes fat melon well. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 19 Dec 2016, 7:11 pm

Cooper wrote:
ilc wrote:How much clearance did you end up with? I'm going through the same exercise and would like the scope as low as possible.

I'll measure it tonight and post up. I reckon the low would have worked. I'll double check the measurement and let you know.

I have over 6mm clearance. So 3 mm lower will be no problem!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ilc » 19 Dec 2016, 9:34 pm

Cooper wrote:
Cooper wrote:

I have over 6mm clearance. So 3 mm lower will be no problem!

Thanks for checking! I'll go ahead and order the low and post my measurements for any others looking at similar setups.

Cheers!
ilc
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ilc » 22 Dec 2016, 7:48 am

So I mounted a Leupold 3-9x40 with the DNZ low mounts without any problems. There is 5mm clearance at the objective, and about 3.5mm where the taper starts down to the main tube because of the barrel profile (see bigfellascott's photo.) The rings are perfectly aligned and lapping probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
ilc
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics