Rifle mounted torch?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Rifle mounted torch?

Post by Browning » 16 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

Keen to hear people's recommendations on a rifle mounted torch.
It's only for a 22lr and smacking bunnies at night.
I've got a LED lenser and while it's ok, I'm looking for something better.
I hear Wolf Eyes are pretty good?
I currently just use one of those double brackets that just tightens on beneath your barrel. Happy to stay with this method as it's easy to take on/off.
What's the brightest you guys have seen used?
Thanks
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Rifle mounted torch?

Post by combo12 » 16 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm

Happy with Wolfeyes Nitehunter on my Savage M24 for after-dark walk-around foraging for bunnies. Use the under-barrel clamp and it stays put, not a problem.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 16 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

Have a look at Jaycar. You'll find what you are looking for for under 30 bucks.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wannabustbunnies » 17 Oct 2016, 3:51 pm

I use a Uniquefire UF1407 (aka T38) on my .22lr. It is adjustable from flood to spot and I have no troubles with it. It is an updated T20, if you google T20 or T38 torch you will see lots of comments, reviews etc.
I got it with a 3 mode, low, med, high white LED "pill" and also the 3 mode red and green pills. Changing them is easy as they just screw out.
I also have a Uniquefire UF1503 aka T50 but with an IR pill. It is pretty much the same but with a bigger lens. You can get them with awhite, red or green LED also
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Nov 2016, 4:28 pm

Zeus have 2 rifle mounted and one handheld, all under $100, and the one in this link is now available as a scope mounted version.

http://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20As ... tlight.htm

A pic of the rifle mounted below, this will throw a tightly collimated beam over 200m with ample peripheral fill. It's also lighter than it looks and tough as nails. Will run for about 2-2.5hrs on a charge. Made in the USA as well.
Attachments
IMG_3269.jpg
IMG_3269.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 9395 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 11 Nov 2016, 4:55 pm

I run the Wolf eyes, night hunter, on a 17 hornet as well and it is fine. For a .22LR it is more than enough.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Browning » 11 Nov 2016, 5:53 pm

Just bought the Olight M3x. Has a magnetic attachment for your barrel....
Bloody awesome distance for a small torch and I've found it the perfect torch for what i need....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 11 Nov 2016, 7:21 pm

I use a ultrafire from deals extreme they are knockoffs of the expensive ones use the same led arrays etc just as bright and bulletproof at around quarter of the price. they take a while to get to oz though allow 4 weeks
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 11 Nov 2016, 7:57 pm

I have the O Light M3X, with the scope mount and pressure switch, I use it mainly on my 22 Mag, but have had it on my 257 Weatherby Magnum, and it is the best I have seen, great out to 200 mts.

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 11 Nov 2016, 8:29 pm

I ended up getting a Klarus FH10 for my 22 and will use it on my 243 as well... they are on ebay for $150.
The two big advantages it has over every other torch i could find was that it had an adjustable focus AND a white, red and green led on a slider.
Be careful about lumens values. The Klarus FH10 is only 700 lumens but it has a noticeably better range than a friends 1020 lumens M2X. Lumens is more a measure of how it lights up the room as i understand it.

I have copied my review below. On the 22 I prefer to use the red light as it disturbs animals less and their eyes stand out better. You can adjust the beam width depending on how far you are searching.

EDIT I was also considering the M3X but its brightness drops from 1200 to 720 lumens after 5 minutes.
For a 22 a pretty cheap Chinese torch would also do the job plus you could have a second one for when you are just spot lighting.

----------------------------------------

My Klarus FH10 torch turned up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it is very well built, compact and not too heavy (300g with battery). It works great on a 22LR and would be equally at home on a centrefire. There are dual springs on the battery so recoil should be fine on a centrefire.

The red, green and white LEDs are on a slider and the light can be focused in and out as required. At the tightest the beam is about 0.6m wide at 10m while the widest the beam is about 2.7m wide at 10m.

The white LED, as a spot light, lights up the hill 280m away and there would be no problems identifying a roo or deer at this range without a scope. At 280m the beam is about 15-20m wide (square edges) with no spill. Usable hunting range (white LED) is probably about 330-350m max.

The red LED let's you identify targets at around 100m but would show eye reflections a lot further. The green LED lets you identify targets a bit further but eyes don’t light up as well as on the red LED.

There is an on/off button at the back plus a tail switch to toggle between low, medium and high beams. Klarus claim 2.5 hours run time on max with the white LED using the standard 2600mAh battery. The bigger 3400mAh battery I ordered should push that to 3.3 hours.
Last edited by wade06 on 11 Nov 2016, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 11 Nov 2016, 8:31 pm

Another method i use is the headlight 400 lumen torch if im on my own. fix it at 20 degrees off centre on your head perfect when you bring your head down on the scope then dim it down for general spotting and walking around .
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 09 Dec 2016, 9:52 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:A pic of the rifle mounted below, this will throw a tightly collimated beam over 200m with ample peripheral fill. It's also lighter than it looks and tough as nails. Will run for about 2-2.5hrs on a charge. Made in the USA as well.

Man that's massive.

It doesn't bother you having such a big thing sitting on your scope as you carry it around?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 20 Dec 2016, 1:47 am

Browning wrote:Keen to hear people's recommendations on a rifle mounted torch.
It's only for a 22lr and smacking bunnies at night.
I've got a LED lenser and while it's ok, I'm looking for something better.
I hear Wolf Eyes are pretty good?
I currently just use one of those double brackets that just tightens on beneath your barrel. Happy to stay with this method as it's easy to take on/off.
What's the brightest you guys have seen used?
Thanks

I bought the Klarus XT20 XM-L2 gun kit a couple of weeks ago for my Savage MKII FVSR (.22LR), it mounts on top of the scope nicely. 2000 lumens, double LED, 340 metre throw. Sweet for bunnies and foxes.

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/klarus-xt20-rechargeable-gun-kit-1550-ansi-lumens-300m.html
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wildcard6 » 28 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm

I recommend you have a look at Wolfeyes X-beam torches. They put out all the white light you'll ever need on a .22 rimfire and they offer one alternative color as well in the same torch. I chose white/red combo and even set to red light, I can target animals out to 100m. I also recommend a scope-mounted option rather than barrel mounted. Wolfeyes sells a plastic clamp, but the best type is to mount a scope ring with attached picatinny rail on the torch itself and simply mount an upside down mount on the scope. That way, the torch, when attached to the scope, is rigidly mounted. Wolfeyes also offers these things, but they can be sourced cheaper directly from China [postage free] from DealExtreme. It takes around three weeks for it to arrive, but for around $7.00 US, it's cheap and effective.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by twoforty » 28 Feb 2017, 2:27 pm

ebr love wrote:It doesn't bother you having such a big thing sitting on your scope as you carry it around?

That would annoy the s**t out of me :lol:
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Luvmadaysoff » 06 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

Dereelight XSearcher. Runs on 18650 batteries x 1 or 2. Comes with multiple brightness levels. Spotting foxes on dairy laneways on clear nights at over 300m was very easy. Purchased from Aussie retailer in Victoria. - Torchworld. Was about $165. Heard great things about the wolf eyes also.
Luvmadaysoff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WolfKing » 22 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

Have an Olight M2X-UT Javelot. fantastic light for the money, good out to 300m, fills the scope with light when on lower power zoom at 100m. the only thing that i think would be of great benefit is having the colour adjust option mentioned earlier. the white light is good, but i get the feeling it scares some animals away ad is a bit too cool/bright at closer ranges. i mount it on my scope, and works really well there!
WolfKing
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm

I had to click on this thread for sure. Expecting to read about adding some sort of flame throwing device being attached to SMLE or something... Oh well what's the saying? "Two peoples separated by a common language."? And there it is asking about putting a 'light/flashlight" on a gun. Sort of a let down.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Scopes, sights and optics