Scope with cutout for barrel on the bottom

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope with cutout for barrel on the bottom

Post by padaro » 18 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

Hi guys,

I don't know the proper name for this style of scope, so sorry for the crappy description.

Obviously if a lens is bigger, the rings need to be higher so that it clears the barrel and everything.

There are scopes though which have a semi-circle cut out of the bottom, so you can sit them lower on the action.

I thought Nikon did one but I searched there rifle scope website and couldn't find anything to link a picture, I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about though....

Questions is, why would you bother with one of these?

Real limited range of them and I remember them being expensive when browsing in shops.

What does having the scope 1cm closer to the barrel do for you?

Why would you limit yourself to so few scopes for this instead of just getting higher rings and having any scope you like?
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Scope with cutout for barrel on the bottom

Post by Hardcast » 18 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

Hi padaro,

I see no one is having a go at this, and I'm by no means the expert, but I'll make a start and let someone correct me.

The higher the scope is mounted from the center of the barrel, the more it interferes with the visual trajectory of the projectile.
Obviously, when the barrel and scope are set to intersect each other at any given distance, (the point of impact), it means that
the scope and barrel are not parrallel, otherwise the bullet would hit the target high at the same amount as the scope is mounted
above the barrel. Provided the bullet shoots flat for that distance.

Some reloading manuals will state a 'trajectory' for 'X' calibre, at 'X' speed, with a 1 inch scope mount'.
They say that because if the mount were a different hight, the trajectory would be different.
I used to wonder why my rifle, with the same loads as my mates, would always have a higher trajectory than his. Say, 1 1/2" at a hundred yards
for spot on at 225 yds, where his was always less, say 1" high at a hundred for spot on at 225 yds.
I always use high scope mounts on my rifles, I just like the feel and that's the reason.

It is explained properly, by experts, on one of the American Forums, might be Chuck Hawkes, not sure, but it's worth while every shooter
reading it.

I hope I've explained it right, I tend to get tongue/finger tired and can't explain as well as I should.

Feel free to straighten this out, anyone. :lol:
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brisb » 18 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

They're more expensive because it's harder to make that bizarre shape bit of glass focus the same as a round bit.

Personally I wouldn't bother with one.

Once you're sighted in at 100 or whatever you know where your point of impact is going to be. Then work out the drop for your rifle... Don't need a fancy scope for that.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 18 Nov 2013, 1:17 pm

Scope mount height can have an effect on your point of impact if your rifle is rotated at an angle at all.

If you imagine looking down the inside of your barrel, it doesn't matter if the rifle is rotated because you're always looking at the same spot.

If your scope is an inch high and you rotate the rifle a little in either direction but are still looking straight down the scope, you're angling your barrel slightly away from the crosshairs so you change your point of impact.

It's only slight, nothing you'd notice for regular shooting, but if you were going for ultra accuracy it could be a factor.

The higher the scope goes the more your little movements effect your POI in this way.

Hopefully that makes sense :D

On the subject of whether or not you'd get one, I wouldn't bother. Just buy the scope you want/need.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 18 Nov 2013, 2:43 pm

Lorgar wrote:On the subject of whether or not you'd get one, I wouldn't bother. Just buy the scope you want/need.

Exactly.

There are hundreds of scopes that are regular spherical lenses, not tear drop or whatever this ones are called. (I think that's the name, could be wrong.)

If there was that much of an advantage to having your scope 1cm lower everyone would be making them.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hardcast » 18 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

Is this what you're asking about.....

• The cresent shaped lens allows for the lowest possible mount height, and still provides you with the classic round site picture!
• Leupold’s Light Optimization Profile™ provides the low-light performance advantages of a large objective riflescope, without the high mount.
• The VX 3L scopes all feature Leupold’s Second Generation Waterproofing. Using proprietary Argon/Krypton gas blend, Leupold has changed the state of the art in scope waterproofing.
• VX-3L scopes also incorporate an Index Matched Lens System™ . Simply put, this system maximizes light throughput and provides an unheard level of brightness and clarity.

Large objective, low mount.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 18 Nov 2013, 4:33 pm

They make it sound like a slightly higher mount is this huge problem though.

All I know is I shoot high ring and low ring scopes, and the rifles all hit the bullseye. So, meh?
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Hardcast » 18 Nov 2013, 9:24 pm

Yeah I think what they're saying is for some people, a lower mount is more comfortable.

I agree, know your rifle, nothing else matters.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Old Fart » 19 Nov 2013, 6:22 am

Hardcast wrote:Yeah I think what they're saying is for some people, a lower mount is more comfortable.

I agree, know your rifle, nothing else matters.

I'd say the same.

For me I find 50mm scopes or larger are a fraction too high for my liking.

They shoot just as well as a lower scope mount of course, but for my personal preference a bit lower is the ticket.

Any not everyone wants to strap an extra pad for cheek weld on their stock.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by kram » 25 Nov 2013, 5:05 pm

what's the expression? art for arts sake? but if you got the bucks,why not?
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 25 Nov 2013, 8:33 pm

kram wrote:what's the expression? art for arts sake? but if you got the bucks,why not?

Left over money to spend on another shooter ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by kram » 29 Nov 2013, 6:13 am

Monty wrote:
kram wrote:what's the expression? art for arts sake? but if you got the bucks,why not?

Left over money to spend on another shooter ;)

true, but if you have the cash for that sort of gimmick,you can probably just get another shooter whenever you like. Having said that I can see the merits of having the scope as close as possible to the barrel and also when I'm trying to get my rifles back into my too small safe.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by paps » 29 Nov 2013, 6:47 am

kram wrote:Having said that I can see the merits of having the scope as close as possible to the barrel and also when I'm trying to get my rifles back into my too small safe.

Yeah that's the problem.

A "5" gun safe, except the guns have to be little 22's and all arranged like Tetris pieces to fit.
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by kram » 08 Dec 2013, 12:09 am

Yeah. I'm becoming a master at fitting too much rifle and scope into a tiny safe, so I went out to my LGS and checked out these low mount scopes and I have to say I can now see it's merits both for space saving, cant angle error and cheek weld/head position.

I am now an advocate of these scopes and will be putting one on my next rifle for sure.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Press » 08 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

You missed having an excuse to buy a bigger safe.

Then filling it would give you an excuse to buy more guns :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics