Holographic vs red dot on bolt action rifle

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Holographic vs red dot on bolt action rifle

Post by Sockeye » 31 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

So I have got a sporterised old girl rifle made by china in early 50s after russian Mosin carbine.

It is old, rough and everything in between, but shoots under 1 MOA. It ha been prepared to be a walk around gun for sizeable pests in the range of up to 100 meters or so. As such, I have been toying with the idea of mounting zero parallax site in frontal position. In particular, I had a Eotech available and used it on the range as a proof of concept.

It is working allright, but somewhat bulky on the rifle. I was thinking about replacing it with the decent quality smaller sized red dot able to handle the recoil.

What would be difference as far as user experience concerned?

In fact, the question could be broader and expanded to the overall differences between holographic and red dot sights.What do I gain from more expensive Eotech compared to a good quality red dot?

Thanks

Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Holographic vs red dot on bolt action rifle

Post by AusTac » 31 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

I've been toying with the idea of buying a vortex razor red dot, so i'll follow this with intrest, that eotech is massive on that mosin lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Browning » 31 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

Sorry, but that Eotech looks like a 3 story building on your rifle.
I use an Aimpoint Micro on one of mine and it's bloody awesome... Small, obscure and tough as nails.. Love it!
A mate of mine uses a Burris Fastfire3 and it's also really good. It's tiny and handles the rough and tumble just as well....
I'd highly recommend either of these, having used them both a lot and on your rifle will be a great addition comparable to the wheelie bin you currently use....
ps. the battery life on the Aimpoint is crazy. Someone else might know better than me but I think you can run it non stop for 5 years or something if you wanted...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm

I have to agree with Browning on this one.

I've looked at similar holographic sights in the pats ... now that I've seen how big they are I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

I had a Bushnell red dot on one of my shotguns for a while. It worked well but I found it difficult to use in low light because of the reflections from light behind me and they are almost impossible to use at night.

It's almost a shame to put something with zero magnification on a rifle capable of sub moa.
Have you considered an illuminated reticle scope with low magnification ? They can be great for quick target acquisition and still good for head shots out further.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Medic » 03 Nov 2016, 2:48 pm

My LGS has a few Bushnell AK or AR can't remember, 25mm red dot sights that are about 120 bucks. I have one on my 223, they are really small and are excellent optics, easily shoot clays at 100 meters with them. They are red dot through tube, so just fine during the bright daylight. Holographics I don't like so much, hard to see in daylight.

Look for
BUSHNELL TACTICAL
AK OPTICS
RED DOT SIGHT
1X25MM - 3 MOA
Fantastic little, low profile piece of kit.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Homer » 04 Nov 2016, 7:00 am

G'Day Fella's,

Sockeye, here is an image of an Aimpoint, on my Ruger MkII in .350 Rem Mag (Rifle is For Sale).
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (374.86 KiB) Viewed 3271 times

It works a treat!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Scopes, sights and optics