Having a hard time deciding on a scope...

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Having a hard time deciding on a scope...

Post by drizo » 04 Nov 2016, 12:34 pm

Hey, I'm a new shooter and about to pick up my first rifle tomorrow (tikka t3x varmint .308) and finding it hard to decide on a scope. I've thought about the Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP but the price keeps making me 2nd guess the decision.

I only shoot at the range maybe once every couple of months, so would you think I should shell out for that expensive scope or would it make more sense to get a cheaper $400 scope like a Vortex Crossfire II.

I know this ultimately is my decision, but i'd just want to know, would you have been happy if you just got a $400 scope to begin with?
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Having a hard time deciding on a scope...

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Nov 2016, 2:20 pm

I reckon Nikon are worth looking at, great value for money.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by drizo » 04 Nov 2016, 2:27 pm

I'd love to know your thoughts on the NIKON P-308 TACTICAL4-12X40 ?
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Squiddy » 04 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6500 series - made in Japan.

Vortex - made in the Philllipines
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

drizo wrote:Hey, I'm a new shooter and about to pick up my first rifle tomorrow (tikka t3x varmint .308) and finding it hard to decide on a scope. I've thought about the Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP but the price keeps making me 2nd guess the decision.

I only shoot at the range maybe once every couple of months, so would you think I should shell out for that expensive scope or would it make more sense to get a cheaper $400 scope like a Vortex Crossfire II.

I know this ultimately is my decision, but i'd just want to know, would you have been happy if you just got a $400 scope to begin with?

Why do you need a FFP variable scope?
Every variable scope I've ever owned I only ever used it at minimum and maximum zoom, never in between. Minimum when I'm walking and shooting close ranges, maximum when I'm shooting longer ranges. All the FFP does is keep the reticle the same size regardless of your zoom level.

I've now got four Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 scopes, and I will be getting more of them. They're under $300 a piece. I've owned and used more expensive scopes, but these do everything I need and do it very well at a great price.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by drizo » 04 Nov 2016, 6:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:Why do you need a FFP variable scope?.

I don't have a specific need for a FFP scope, but if im paying over 1k then I guess it's something that would be better to have than not. :unknown:

Thanks everyone whos posted so far.. now it's a toss up between the Nikon p-308 $419 or the Bushnell 4.5-18x40 AR $280... I watched a few youtube reviews of the Bushnell and mostly good but some negatives too like turret marks not lining up, and the eye piece being too large on a bolt gun.. I guess i'm kind of leaning towards the Nikon but still undecided.. :roll:
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

drizo wrote:

I don't have a specific need for a FFP scope, but if im paying over 1k then I guess it's something that would be better to have than not. :unknown:

Thanks everyone whos posted so far.. now it's a toss up between the Nikon p-308 $419 or the Bushnell 4.5-18x40 AR $280... I watched a few youtube reviews of the Bushnell and mostly good but some negatives too like turret marks not lining up, and the eye piece being too large on a bolt gun.. I guess i'm kind of leaning towards the Nikon but still undecided.. :roll:

I think you'll find that the FFP is the reason the scope is a grand or more.
If you don't need FFP don't pay the price for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 6:54 pm

drizo wrote:I watched a few youtube reviews of the Bushnell and mostly good but some negatives too like turret marks not lining up, and the eye piece being too large on a bolt gun.. I guess i'm kind of leaning towards the Nikon but still undecided.. :roll:

Don't know what the "turret marks not lining up" is about, not something I've noticed.
I don't know about other rifles but on the Ruger Americans I mount the Bushnells with the objective lens 7mm above the barrel and the bolt handle clears the eyepiece by 6mm - no problem at all. I could lower the scope by 6mm and it would still clear just fine. A short-throw bolt is worth having on a rifle regardless though - the Ruger is 70-degree bolt throw.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 04 Nov 2016, 7:56 pm

If you are only shooting during the day at the range you don't need an expensive scope. Some blokes will always tell you that more expensive is better.

I have shot at the range with $1000 scopes and with $150 scopes. Both allow me to shoot groups under 1 Moa. Clarity is a little better on expensive scopes but only noticeable when viewed back to back. The real benefit of expensive scopes is low light performance. If you are shooting at static targets during bright sunshine most of the advantages of an expensive scope are negated.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 04 Nov 2016, 9:31 pm

i would save your money and look at the vortex viper HS-T its the same as the PST just it doesnt have a reticle that lights up stay away from the crossfire 2 series they dont give enough eye releif even though .308 aint even kick that bad but its up to you go look through as many as possible and make your decision after looking through some
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 04 Nov 2016, 10:23 pm

drizo wrote:

I've got a couple of the FFP vortex scopes. They aren't that much more than the SFP and I much prefer them.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2016, 6:12 am

nightforcenxs wrote:i would save your money and look at the vortex viper HS-T its the same as the PST just it doesnt have a reticle that lights up stay away from the crossfire 2 series they dont give enough eye releif even though .308 aint even kick that bad but its up to you go look through as many as possible and make your decision after looking through some

A mate and I did a comparison a while back using his new Leupold VX6i I think it was (can't remember mag but around max 14-16x I think) anyway we compared it to my Nikon Prostaff during daylight, late afternoon and absolutely last light and the only really noticeable diff was the field of view, the Leupold had around 2-3m winder field of view at around 300m, other than that there wasn't some magical amazing diff in scope performance that one would have imagined for a scope that cost around $2200 compared to the $150 Nikon at the time.

Not the first time I've done comparisons with that scope and the Euro stuff (Swaro, Zeiss, S and B to name a few and honestly there wasn't this big amazing diff between them either, slightly better sharper image at best, nicer to look through for longer periods I guess but I could still see everything they could at diff times of the day and night/low light and again didn't see this huge amazing diff I was expecting from scopes that cost what they did. :unknown:

The way I view scopes is if you are going to be fiddling with turrets all the time (ie long range shooting etc) definitely buy quality as they usually have better optics for the long range type work, better turrets etc etc, but for the average hunting rifle where you aren't adjusting turrets and taking 1km plus shots I really don't see any great benefit to owning one to be honest, nice scopes don't get me wrong but I really do wonder where the extra $$ are in them at times.

I used that little Nikon a while back at around 8.20pm I think it was to remove a bunnies head at just over 300m shooting off the bonnet with some sandbags for a rest, a few mins later it was pitch black so on came the spotlight to finish the rest of the hunt with.

Even my mate who owns lots of top end euro glass was surprised how well the little Nikon went in comparison to his stuff after we did some side by side comparisons - we are both in our 50's now so maybe that has something to do with it I don't know but certainly had me surprised to be honest. :unknown:

Anyway just buy what you can afford and are happy to look through, if it ain't right you can always sell it and buy something else :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2016, 5:58 pm

I've got a meopta for sale in the classifieds if your interested
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hadoku » 07 Nov 2016, 9:12 am

Squiddy wrote:Bushnell Elite Tactical 6500 series - made in Japan.

Very clear :thumbsup:
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by drizo » 07 Nov 2016, 9:47 am

You guys are great, thank you all for the great input :)
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics