Bushnell rimfire scopes? Any good?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell rimfire scopes? Any good?

Post by Cooper » 07 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

Thinking about a new rimfire scope for my CZ452 it just has fixed 4X on it at the moment.
Think there is a new range of Rimfire scopes from Bushnell. With replaceable turrets in 22lr and 17hmr? Comes in 3 sizes 3x9, 4x12 and 6x18 starting at $229 through to $279 at Maganum Sports.
Haven't been able to view one in the flesh. I image the glass would be pretty similar to the AR optics range from Bushnell? Which I consider the glass is ok for the price but they are pretty heavy. Which I an worried might be to heavy for my little .22?? Hoping someone has tried them? Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Bushnell rimfire scopes? Any good?

Post by OODAH » 07 Nov 2016, 9:59 am

Just bought myself the RIMFIRE OPTICS 3-12X 40MM from Magnum sports for my CZ 452 22lr. Though I haven't used it yet I like it. I've only fitted it and bore sighted, hope to get to the range in the next week or so.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 22 Nov 2016, 8:31 am

Have you tried the scope yet Oodah? I thinking the 4x12 will work best for me. It only for a .22. Keen to know what you think of it though. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by albat » 22 Nov 2016, 12:45 pm

I have the bushnell banner 4-12 on my cz 455 i also have the ar 223 optic on another rifle the glass is about the same the banner scope on the 455 is plenty good enough for a hunting rimfire just make sure your mounts are high enough to clear that annoying bolt lift on all the cz's
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Nov 2016, 2:17 pm

Also make sure the paralax is set at 50m for the Rimfires (assume this would be the case for this model if it is specifically for rimfires but best to check to be sure (I don't think it matters too much if its for a hunting outfit but for targets it would). I think the Bushnell stuff is ok, they warranty service is usually pretty go from what I've been told by my mate who works in a gunshop - bushnell are also agents for the Tasco range and no doubt a few others too.

Also remember the higher the mag the more your movement is detected through the scope (ie heartbeat/breathing etc) so something to be mindful of and also the higher mag scopes generally aren't as good on the higher mag in low light conditions - from memory more lenses equals loss of light due to the small percentage of light transmission loss through each lens.

For hunting I prefer a fixed 4 power scope or 6x fixed - I haven't found a need for higher mag for the average hunting situation.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Swarm » 30 Nov 2016, 3:24 pm

I'm not really sold on the fixed stuff.

You could get a 4x or a 6x.

Or get a 3-9x and have them both and more.

Personal preference is all good, that's just me.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by OODAH » 01 Dec 2016, 11:23 am

Cooper wrote:Have you tried the scope yet Oodah? I thinking the 4x12 will work best for me. It only for a .22. Keen to know what you think of it though. Thanks

Used it for the first time at the range and it was clear and sharp and did every thing i wanted it too. After a quick bore sight it was easy to get it perfect with adjustments.I'm pretty new to the sport but I give it two thumbs up and can't wait to get out into the field again! :drinks:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Dec 2016, 9:41 am

Happy days :mrgreen:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 24 Jan 2017, 6:11 pm

Well I got the 3x12 Bushnell rimfire scope the other day. Ended up fitting to my CZ455. While the scope is a bit bulky. It is very clear and good value in my opinion. I will try out the bullet drop turrets which were supplied for 22lr and 17hmr. I in a bit of .22 shooting mood at the moment so might be awhile before I put the 17hmr barrel back in the cz455!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bobnob » 27 Jan 2017, 1:25 am

Gents any chance you could post some pics of those scopes on your rifles?

You've got me interested.

I'm running a Sightron SIH TAC MilDot on my CZ452, in 3-9x40.

With the 25moa rail I can get out to around 375y on the elevation turret. I think those Bushys have more elevation in them however.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 27 Jan 2017, 6:21 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (672.13 KiB) Viewed 5888 times

The mounts are Sports Match and pretty sure they would be high.

The scope is quite bulky around the problem area on CZ's being high bolt lift.
Also the 22lr drop compensating turret technically starts at 75 yards to a max of 150 on the dial. I haven't played with it too much yet. The 22 barrel in my CZ 455 wouldn't even have 200 rounds through it. I like the scope. I'll probably end up putting this one on my CZ452 (with same high mounts) and buy the 6x18 version for CZ455 and put the 17hmr barrel back in.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 28 Jan 2017, 5:51 am

I'm looking at buying one of the Bushnells, but in 2-7x. Let us know how it goes once you shoot using it.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bobnob » 28 Jan 2017, 7:17 am

Thanks Coop. Not a bad looking scope. Looks like you might get away with slightly lower rings on that one too, mediums?

The ocular doesn't look as bulky as the one on the AR Optics Bushy which is a good thing.

I'd be keen to swap out those CDS turrets for a straight MOA turret for shooting further but that's just me.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 28 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

bobnob wrote:Thanks Coop. Not a bad looking scope. Looks like you might get away with slightly lower rings on that one too, mediums?

The ocular doesn't look as bulky as the one on the AR Optics Bushy which is a good thing.

I'd be keen to swap out those CDS turrets for a straight MOA turret for shooting further but that's just me.

Yeah it comes with a standard MOA turret. I put the .22lr turret on hoping to tryout. Being a bit hot. But will get around to it.
I agree I probably could get away with a medium ring set. I measure and check.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bobnob » 29 Jan 2017, 4:55 am

Ok didn't know they come with a MOA turret. Best of both. Let us know how it goes?
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 10 Jun 2017, 3:49 pm

Any updates on these rimfire scopes. I want one for my cz452
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 10 Jun 2017, 11:08 pm

scaredyet wrote:Any updates on these rimfire scopes. I want one for my cz452

I'm happy with mine. The 3x12 version for $215. I reckon the 3x12 is almost perfect on a 22lr. I'd buy the 6x18 version for a 17hmr. Be nice if the magnification started at 4 though.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2017, 4:04 pm

My personal experience,, I reckon they are cheap and nasty.

Bought one for one of my .22 rf rifles,,,, Never Again
:thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 19 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Put my 17HMR barrel back in and tried out the supplied ballistic turret. Doesn't work. Would have thought all 17hmr ammo was around the same velocity except that new A17 stuff. Bit disappointing really. But other than that the 17hmr was shooting quite well.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics