REDFIELD SCOPE

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

REDFIELD SCOPE

Post by OODAH » 08 Nov 2016, 6:48 am

REDFIELD REVOLUTION 4-12X40 4-PLEX - Thinking about this scope for my .308 hunting rifle. Most hunting is dusk/dawn or with spotlight. Range would be 50m out to 300m. I have been using a 3-9x40 Tasco (fell to bits) but was thinking a little more distance would be nice at times. I'm open to suggestions but wouldn't mind keeping it around $500 as it's going to get knocked around in the scrub.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: REDFIELD SCOPE

Post by happyhunter » 08 Nov 2016, 8:51 am

The Redfield has good glass and performs well in low light for the cheap price, but if you want something that can take a knock and hold zero for around 500 bucks the Bushnell elite range might do the job or a Lupy VX2.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 08 Nov 2016, 9:39 am

Leupold VX2 gets my vote and if you shop around you can get the 4-9x40 within your $500 budget. The lifetime warranty in my opinion justifies the extra expense and all I use on the hunting rifles is VX2's.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 08 Nov 2016, 10:41 am

brett1868 wrote:Leupold VX2 gets my vote and if you shop around you can get the 4-9x40 within your $500 budget. The lifetime warranty in my opinion justifies the extra expense and all I use on the hunting rifles is VX2's.

So after a little research, I found the Redfield to be made by Leupold in the same factory in the states. Same scope as the VX1's with out the gold band and a full lifetime warranty.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 08 Nov 2016, 11:02 am

If your budget extends to $500ish i can highly recommend the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42... they also do a 4-16x42. Super clear glass, excellent build quality and side parallax knob.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Nov 2016, 11:44 am

I have a redfield. Good clear glass, same glass as leupold, same warranty as leupold. Very similar to vx2 (I think of them as a vx1.5 as they sit closer to a vx2 than a vx1, 1/4 moa turrets that click).
They seem to hold up to recoil well enough and light transmission is good. Eye relief is also good.
They're not expensive european glass, but they do the job well enough for me.

Truth is, though, that you're spoiled for choice for decent hunting glass around that price range these days, and there are quite a few good selections such as vortex, bushnell, nikko, etc.

Ultimately, take a look through a few, find something with a lifetime warranty and you can't go too far wrong.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bosbefok » 08 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm

I have just purchased a second hand lupy vx2 6-18x40 with target turrets for $500 including postage... Something to think about. With a lifetime transferable warranty you can't go wrong.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 2:05 pm

Redfield is sort of ok but I find my Nikons better and cheaper - if I wanted a cheap but great scope for the $$ I'd definitely go a Nikon again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 08 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

wade06 wrote:If your budget extends to $500ish i can highly recommend the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42... they also do a 4-16x42. Super clear glass, excellent build quality and side parallax knob.

Yes I have seen these but I'm unsure if I want an adjustable objective in the field. Just one more think to fiddle with before the shot. Or am I completely wrong and its not such a big deal?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 6:25 pm

OODAH wrote:
wade06 wrote:If your budget extends to $500ish i can highly recommend the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42... they also do a 4-16x42. Super clear glass, excellent build quality and side parallax knob.

Yes I have seen these but I'm unsure if I want an adjustable objective in the field. Just one more think to fiddle with before the shot. Or am I completely wrong and its not such a big deal?

You r correct.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 08 Nov 2016, 6:59 pm

oodah, certainly not critical for hunting but I do like having sharp focus at all distances. This is more noticeable at the shorter distances on a 22.

To start with I would sometimes forget to adjust but now the side focus is second nature before I take a shot.
It is certainly a lot easier than an end AO.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 08 Nov 2016, 8:07 pm

OODAH wrote:

I never mount adjustable AO scopes on my light hunting rifles. It's a distraction you don't need.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 8:27 pm

You can just set the AO to 100m which will be ok for most hunting situations I guess. I never really found it a major issue with the ones I have that have AO but I do prefer to not have to worry about it - I'll be putting my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 204 and putting my 3-9x50 Nikon on the 308 when I can pick it up.

The 204 is more for longish range work at stationary targets so no issues there, the 308 will be for same/similar and running targets etc so the none AO will suit that fine I reckon.

I guess it all comes down to the mag range you are looking at and whether that means an AO is part of the deal, I never found a 3-9x50 a real issue shooting bunnies in the head around 300m, it was fine for that but a little extra mag would have made things a little easier but it didn't stop me to be honest so don't think for a minute you really need a high mag scope to hunt most things with, for precision target work well that's where high mag and AO would come in handy for sure.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 08 Nov 2016, 8:38 pm

The 204 is more for longish range work at stationary targets so no issues there, the 308 will be for same/similar and running targets etc so the none AO will suit that fine I reckon.

I got adjustable focus on the 204 but it's side focus and that rifle is shot off the bipod 90% of the time. The AO scopes where you reach forward to twist the bell to set are a pain in the backside, although if I was target shooting I could live with the inconvenience.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by OODAH » 09 Nov 2016, 7:19 am

So I've come up with a short list, but what I want to know is.... If on my old Tasco had a eye relief of 3.5 and I had to sit the scope way back in the rings (towards the butt) to have a full view through the scope. I would want a higher number eye relief so i can have better adjustment in the rings so i can set it to be more natural when I bring the rifle up to shoot? (so i don't have to bring it up look and and reset rifle and cheek to get a clear view) Is it as simple as that?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Nov 2016, 9:18 pm

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not but your Tasco probably has a lifetime warranty on it, so send it back to Bushnell (they are the distributors from memory) and they will repair or replace it for free.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 10 Nov 2016, 7:32 am

bigfellascott wrote:I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not but your Tasco probably has a lifetime warranty on it, so send it back to Bushnell (they are the distributors from memory) and they will repair or replace it for free.

Thanks. I might flick them an email and find out. After looking through my new Bushnell I bought for my .22 I'm pretty keen to upgrade from the tasco it's like looking through frosted glass compared to it.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 10 Nov 2016, 7:37 am

Not life time only one year Manufacturers: Covers manufacturing defects for 1 year after the sale of the item.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2016, 6:24 pm

Not trying to start the old debate but a 3-9 or 4-12 is ample for a 308 hunting rifle for what you described. I've got a Vortex 4-12 on the 243w and only use the 12 end at the range.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 10 Nov 2016, 6:51 pm

Depends what you are shooting but I often wish for a bit more zoom. 4-16x is a good range but the FOV can even vary a lot between scopes with similar specs.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 11 Nov 2016, 7:21 am

RoginaJack wrote:Not trying to start the old debate but a 3-9 or 4-12 is ample for a 308 hunting rifle for what you described. I've got a Vortex 4-12 on the 243w and only use the 12 end at the range.

I completely agree. But I want a little more then 9 mag for the range and its only a few more bucks to go from 12 to 16 mag I don't see why not. What do they say, “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Nov 2016, 2:04 pm

yeah, becomes a bit of a personal choice. I just don't like lugging big scopes around the scrub.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics