A scope for my 22

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

A scope for my 22

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

I've been working hard for weeks now, trying to decide on a new scope for my new CZ455. The old one, a Swarovski, is out of focus and a rehab trip to Austria (?) seems pretty exxy to me.

I have come up with the following list but would appreciate opinions. Criteria is low cost now that I am a pensioner but a big field of view for running shots, is an attraction :) High power does not interest me. It's a 75 yard rifle at best and with the stubby, 16.5" barrel a big scope would look Odd :huh:
So here they are:-
Weaver Classic 1-3x20 matte DualX reticle $580
Nikon Monarch3 1-4x40 M R4B German #4 reticle Price?
Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 matte Duplex reticle $ 445
Vortex Crossfire 2 2-7x32 Vplex reticle "Rimfire" $275
Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Vplex reticle "Rimfire" $330

"Rimfire" according to the blurb, means that the Vortex has its parallax adjusted down to 50 yards.
A decent warranty would be an attraction BTW as with these prices, I don't expect them to be everlasting ;) :) So thanks in advance everyone: am very keen to hear from you all :)

3:48pm I did not make it clear that I prefer an uncluttered reticle; no dots, hashmarks, circles or illumination :)
Last edited by Wm.Traynor on 27 Dec 2016, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: A scope for my 22

Post by pete1 » 27 Dec 2016, 12:40 pm

Bushnell have improved there waranty and not bad for the cheaper end of scopes, may be worth looking at
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Michael64 » 27 Dec 2016, 3:51 pm

Consider the Leupold VX2 3-9x33

I have it on my CZ 455 and it's fantastic!
CZ 455 Classic .22lr - Leupold VX2 3-9X33
Sako 85 Hunter .308 Win - Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 BT
Beretta Silver Pidgeon 1 12 Gauge
Michael64
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 27 Dec 2016, 7:07 pm

Criteria is low cost now that I am a pensioner but a big field of view for running shots, is an attraction

For that, I have an old Japanese made fixed 4x40mm Nikko Stirling gold crown. The wide field of view and clarity what keeps it on the rifle. I'd be looking for something in 4x40mm in whatever brand suits your budget.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2016, 8:15 pm

Have a look at the Nikon Rimfire range too.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/niko ... c-150.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Dec 2016, 9:38 pm

Definitely consider a fixed power scope. 4 or 6 power X 40 or something to that effect.

Honestly, though, surely postage back to Swaro would be cheaper than a new scope and better scope than one of the others listed!?!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

I don't own one but the Vortex crossfires were pretty decent to look through instore, most models come in at sub $300.
I've used the Diamond Back 4-12x40 on my mates 308, I sighted it in for him and it is nice scope for a bit under $350.
I've got the Diamond Back HP 3-12x42 on my 223 and it's my favourite and I think I'll mount the same scope on my 308, it was around $520......excellent warranty on the Vortex too.
I've got a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 on my 22 and I can't fault it either, nice and clear night and day and helps me put the shot where I need it , I also have the same scope in 4-12x42 on my 243, again, very nice for the price, really simple reticle as you've described as your preference, I think they were around $380 and $420 give or take.....Zeiss do a 2-7x32 in the same series, for whatever reason it is a bit dearer than its two bigger brothers.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm

I put a Bushnell 3x9 on my 455. It ran me around $20US-$25US, I probably have another $10US invested in the rings.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 28 Dec 2016, 5:56 am

bigfellascott wrote:Have a look at the Nikon Rimfire range too.

Probably the best value for money around.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2016, 9:27 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I put a Bushnell 3x9 on my 455. It ran me around $20US-$25US, I probably have another $10US invested in the rings.

Yep... But this ain't the US.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Dec 2016, 9:36 am

Gwion wrote:Definitely consider a fixed power scope. 4 or 6 power X 40 or something to that effect. I am. Leupold makes a 4X :)

Honestly, though, surely postage back to Swaro would be cheaper than a new scope and better scope than one of the others listed!?! Years ago, the Kahles dealer sent a scope back to Austria for minor work. It came back completely refurbished inside and out. Cost me more than I paid for the scope. Big communication breakdown. Not doin' it again.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Dec 2016, 9:50 am

bigfellascott wrote:Have a look at the Nikon Rimfire range too.

After reading on this forum where people were singing the praises of the Prostaff, I had no doubt in my mind that that was what I would get. But in the Google Search above left I read about the Monarch line which led to a review on Youtube where I happened to notice a review of the Prostaff and it was Terrible. That was the end of that.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Dec 2016, 9:53 am

Pythonkeeper wrote:I don't own one but the Vortex crossfires were pretty decent to look through instore, most models come in at sub $300.
I've used the Diamond Back 4-12x40 on my mates 308, I sighted it in for him and it is nice scope for a bit under $350.
I've got the Diamond Back HP 3-12x42 on my 223 and it's my favourite and I think I'll mount the same scope on my 308, it was around $520......excellent warranty on the Vortex too.
I've got a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 on my 22 and I can't fault it either, nice and clear night and day and helps me put the shot where I need it , I also have the same scope in 4-12x42 on my 243, again, very nice for the price, really simple reticle as you've described as your preference, I think they were around $380 and $420 give or take.....Zeiss do a 2-7x32 in the same series, for whatever reason it is a bit dearer than its two bigger brothers.

Crikey, I never imagined that a Zeiss would be That cheap :o Gunna look into that :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2016, 9:54 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Years ago, the Kahles dealer sent a scope back to Austria for minor work. It came back completely refurbished inside and out. Cost me more than I paid for the scope. Big communication breakdown. Not doin' it again.
[/quote]

Sonuvabeech! I'd think they'd do cost price repairs. I have heard good things about Euro brand after market service. Have you considered contacting the manufacturer directly?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Dec 2016, 9:58 am

OK, to sum up, I'm going to look at Bushnell (pete1) and Zeiss.

Thankyou everyone for your help (so far? :unknown: :) )
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2016, 1:03 pm

Weaver K series, 4x 38mm..... Online, <$150US.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

I think the Zeiss Terra is a chinese made job or something like that that's why no one rates it and most are disappointed in it from the reviews I've read.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think the Zeiss Terra is a chinese made job or something like that that's why no one rates it and most are disappointed in it from the reviews I've read.

A 4-12x42mm Zeiss Terra is "Designed by Zeiss" "Made in Japan" is what mine says on the Scope and Box. I don't believe what most reviews say since you have no idea if the person writing it has one clue what they are on about.

Since I have a number of very expensive March Scopes, I think if I was to find something wrong with my Zeiss Terra Scope I would have found it by now. Mine cost me $500 a few years ago and replaced a 3-9x50mm Zeiss Conquest. It normally resides on my Brno Model 2 .22LR unless it goes 200 yard competition target shooting and is then replaced with an 8.5-25x50mm Leupold VX-3 Target to give me the elevation adjustment I need for the .22LR plus a better view of the tiny target.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by colsta » 28 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

ive got a burris for sale on here
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

Thanks for that Lindsay, I knew it was one of the Asian countries that was building em. Plenty of people not happy with them from what I've read but good to hear yours is working fine. My mate has a Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44 I think it was and it was crap at night, so much so I reckon there was something wrong with it because the other scopes we were using (Leupy and Nikon and Tasco were working fine in the low light conditions (8.30pm +) this thing was completely unusable (ie completely black image) my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 works fine in low light so I would say this one has issues.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Gwion wrote:Weaver K series, 4x 38mm..... Online, <$150US.

I am now trawling through US sites and Boy what a difference compared to the Aussie Weavers :shock:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2016, 7:37 pm

Yep. Worth going a US import for this sort of thing. No ITAR restriction and cheap postage.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

The Zeiss Conquest is a multi cultural animal. Glass made in Japan (not sure if that includes making the actual lens), then the rest is Made in Mexico, then it's all shipped just over the border to the USA and Assembled in the USA (as is stamped on the scope).

The smaller 3-9 Zeiss Terra I don't know about or seen one to check. Also I'm not sure if there are or not Chineese knock offs of Zeiss Scopes floating around like the Leupolds have.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 7:46 pm

Gwion wrote:Yep. Worth going a US import for this sort of thing. No ITAR restriction and cheap postage.

Gee, I don't know about that.... You still have to get stuff passed through Customs / X-Ray in the USA for a start. Maybe fine for anything that is not ITAR listed.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Dec 2016, 8:04 pm

Apollo wrote:The Zeiss Conquest is a multi cultural animal. Glass made in Japan (not sure if that includes making the actual lens), then the rest is Made in Mexico, then it's all shipped just over the border to the USA and Assembled in the USA (as is stamped on the scope).

The smaller 3-9 Zeiss Terra I don't know about or seen one to check. Also I'm not sure if there are or not Chineese knock offs of Zeiss Scopes floating around like the Leupolds have.

Yeah read somewhere that the Glass was done in the Cech Republic but who knows honestly, as we know a lot of things are made here there and everywhere these days and assembled somewhere else, either way I really don't care where they are made at the end of the day they just have to work well, if they do that I'm happy to use em if not they get sold on and replaced with something that suits my needs. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2016, 8:26 pm

Apollo wrote:
Gwion wrote:Yep. Worth going a US import for this sort of thing. No ITAR restriction and cheap postage.

Gee, I don't know about that.... You still have to get stuff passed through Customs / X-Ray in the USA for a start. Maybe fine for anything that is not ITAR listed.

Some things are definitely not worth it and some sites just won't post to Aust.. You really have to weigh up exchange rate and postage but I have ordered a few things from the US that have been worth the wait to save significant dollars.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics