Wrong size rings !

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Wrong size rings !

Post by colinbentley » 07 Apr 2017, 3:49 pm

Just got well and truly caught out. Bought a beautiful new scope, a Bushnell AR optics 4.5-18x40 for my Ruger 77 mark2. I didn't want to stuff up so I researched and researched and researched to the point where I could almost write a book of fitting a new scope.But I did stuff up because the rings are too low and the bolt won't close. I'm on my way to see if my friendly gun expert has the appropriate higher rings. I am so annoyed at myself for getting caught out this way.Is this common or am I the only dummy in shooting circles.?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Wrong size rings !

Post by Gwion » 07 Apr 2017, 4:01 pm

You won't be the first or the last, mate!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Apr 2017, 4:10 pm

I always take my scope and rifle with me when buying rings - best way I know to avoid what happened to you.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2017, 4:22 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I always take my scope and rifle with me when buying rings - best way I know to avoid what happened to you.

Yep, like boots, never buy them of the www.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 07 Apr 2017, 6:03 pm

Where I live buying off the net is about the only option.Local gunstore never has a thing I need. Rings ? They'd probably send me to a jeweler !!!!!!
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 Apr 2017, 6:28 pm

Rings for rugers are not equal in hight ask for ruger rings you will see the difference and make sure back goes on back
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 07 Apr 2017, 6:42 pm

Ruger mk2 have two different ring heights front and back, The back ring is always taller, If you need to go higher you move the rear ring to the front and buy a new rear ring. This is why Ruger rings are usually sold individually. If you have the standard rings that came with the rifle it will probably have a #3 on the front and a #4 on the rear so move the #4 to the front and buy and fit a #5 on the rear.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 07 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Being a ruger rings clamp on a dovetail of sorts, how would that possibly stop the bolt closing?

Chronos

edit: Oh wait, you mean the chunky bushnell eyepiece interferes with the bolt handle?
Last edited by Chronos on 07 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

colinbentley wrote:Where I live buying off the net is about the only option.Local gunstore never has a thing I need. Rings ? They'd probably send me to a jeweler !!!!!!

Yeah that would be a PITA alright, I hate buying things off the net unless I know exactly what they are like and anything that is size sensitive I generally don't bother as I usually f*** it up! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by colinbentley » 07 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

Chronos, correct. The eyepiece is fat and stops the bolt handle from sliding in. I've left it with my "gunsmith" whom I'm sure will solve the problem.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Apr 2017, 9:40 pm

I've made this mistake several times myself and have a nice sized box of rings & bases, including a couple sets of expensive sako optiloks. Might have to buy another Sako so those rings don't go to waste :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 08 Apr 2017, 8:55 am

brett1868 wrote:I've made this mistake several times myself and have a nice sized box of rings & bases, including a couple sets of expensive sako optiloks. Might have to buy another Sako so those rings don't go to waste :D

Must be tough having to endure such hardship ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 08 Apr 2017, 6:55 pm

My friendly "gunsmith" has saved the day. Fitted a larger set of rings and kept my old ones for $50, which I think is a fantastic deal . Great guy, his name is Rohan Morgan in Red Cliffs in Victoria.This is only the second time I have dealt with him but cannot speak highly enough of his customer service.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 10 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

Went to the range today to site in my new scope.I must admit I approached the exercise with a certain amount of trepidation, but needn't have worried .In spite of a very gusty wind I managed MOA at 100 metres. There was a shooter a few benches away firing a 50mm . I was a few benches away but the noise almost blew off my earmuffs. He told me factory ammo is about$10 a shot. Gee that would make a hole in my pension.Any members have much experience with this caliber?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 4:15 pm

colinbentley wrote:Went to the range today to site in my new scope.I must admit I approached the exercise with a certain amount of trepidation, but needn't have worried .In spite of a very gusty wind I managed MOA at 100 metres. There was a shooter a few benches away firing a 50mm . I was a few benches away but the noise almost blew off my earmuffs. He told me factory ammo is about$10 a shot. Gee that would make a hole in my pension.Any members have much experience with this caliber?

Message Brett, he owns most of the .50's in Oz :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics