Bushnell Banner or Tasco

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Banner or Tasco

Post by colinbentley » 14 Apr 2017, 3:21 pm

Just considering replacing the scope on my 222 Remington. Looking at a Bushnell Banner 4-16x40, or a Tasco 4-16x40. It will be used strictly for bench rest target shooting. Any thoughts., Both are around the $240 mark.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Bushnell Banner or Tasco

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Apr 2017, 4:16 pm

Both are owned by the same company.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by colinbentley » 14 Apr 2017, 7:41 pm

That may well be, but they are different scopes. the little research I have done so far seems to lean towards Bushnell.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Apr 2017, 8:21 pm

colinbentley wrote:That may well be, but they are different scopes. the little research I have done so far seems to lean towards Bushnell.

I personally wouldn't be buying either - buy better quality http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monar ... ildot.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 14 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

I have a Bushnell trophy like it, not a high end scope but like it and it does the job. Looking through them you may find ones suits you better, though.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 14 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

You wouldn't but either because maybe you have $500 to spend on a scope. I don't. Yes it's fairly bloody obvious that U would get a better scope for more money.This is not the constructive sort of advice I was looking for.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 14 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

colinbentley wrote:Just considering replacing the scope on my 222 Remington. Looking at a Bushnell Banner 4-16x40, or a Tasco 4-16x40. It will be used strictly for bench rest target shooting. Any thoughts., Both are around the $240 mark.

I have had a couple of Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9x40's and really rated them for the money so I put a new Bushnell AR 4-18x40 on my new Lithgow 223 but sent it back after 1 session at the range because I couldnt stand it. When I get my rifle back from Lithgow (warranty work) I will put my trusty Nighteater on it instead.

Aus
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

colinbentley wrote:You wouldn't but either because maybe you have $500 to spend on a scope. I don't. Yes it's fairly bloody obvious that U would get a better scope for more money.This is not the constructive sort of advice I was looking for.

Usually you find that the higher the mag the quality of the image drops off on the cheaper scopes - anyway mate you buy it as you deserve a quality item like that :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

I had a Bushnell Banner red dot on the 243w and no complaints about the scope, clear, held zero etc.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

colinbentley wrote:You wouldn't but either because maybe you have $500 to spend on a scope. I don't. Yes it's fairly bloody obvious that U would get a better scope for more money.This is not the constructive sort of advice I was looking for.

I agree, suggesting a scope that's three times the price is better doesn't help anybody.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
colinbentley wrote:That may well be, but they are different scopes. the little research I have done so far seems to lean towards Bushnell.

I personally wouldn't be buying either - buy better quality http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monar ... ildot.html

But what would you buy if you were restricted to around $250?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 1:12 pm

colinbentley wrote:Just considering replacing the scope on my 222 Remington. Looking at a Bushnell Banner 4-16x40, or a Tasco 4-16x40. It will be used strictly for bench rest target shooting. Any thoughts., Both are around the $240 mark.

I'm not a fan of the Banner range, although for pure daylight range work they'd probably work just fine. Neither are Japanese glass but of those two I'd lean toward the Tasco.
The AR Optics 4.5-18x40 is $230 and would be a step up for similar cost in my opinion, despite being Chinese glass.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 2:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

But what would you buy if you were restricted to around $250?

I'd learn to save and be patient, cos I too don't have a heap of money to waste on firearms and accessories so I've learn't to be patient and save, as I said earlier those cheap scopes are usually ordinary when it comes to clarity on the higher mag ranges hence why I said buy something better, but by all means find out the hard way. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 2:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I'd learn to save and be patient, cos I too don't have a heap of money to waste on firearms and accessories so I've learn't to be patient and save, as I said earlier those cheap scopes are usually ordinary when it comes to clarity on the higher mag ranges hence why I said buy something better, but by all means find out the hard way. :drinks:

Learning to save and being patient don't enter into it if you are restricted to $250.
Is there something else you would choose over the two offerings, or would you perhaps go secondhand instead?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 3:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I'd learn to save and be patient, cos I too don't have a heap of money to waste on firearms and accessories so I've learn't to be patient and save, as I said earlier those cheap scopes are usually ordinary when it comes to clarity on the higher mag ranges hence why I said buy something better, but by all means find out the hard way. :drinks:

Learning to save and being patient don't enter into it if you are restricted to $250.
Is there something else you would choose over the two offerings, or would you perhaps go secondhand instead?

Learning to save saves you buying s**t which costs you more in the long run as you eventually realise it was that price for a reason.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 3:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Learning to save saves you buying s**t which costs you more in the long run as you eventually realise it was that price for a reason.

Paying more for something that is better than you need is not saving, it's just paying more, and price does not guaranty you get a better product.
I would bet there are an awful lot of rifles still around with $25 scopes on them from the seventies and eighties that still work just fine. I have an old Tasco 4-power from the early eighties and an old Nikko-Stirling 4x32 that came on my M38 Mauser, both are still very nice optics, especially the Nikko.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 3:49 pm

Right on bladeracer. Little hard to save when on a pension. Not a lot to spare for rifle scopes. In the last four weeks spent $1000 on my car, $530 at the vet (not for me but my dog) and $400 at the dentist. (that was for me) .I'm not broke but I have to be little frugal. I just fitted a Bushnell scope on my 243.Not expensive but very happy with it, and that was only a bit over $200.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

colinbentley wrote:Right on bladeracer. Little hard to save when on a pension. Not a lot to spare for rifle scopes. In the last four weeks spent $1000 on my car, $530 at the vet (not for me but my dog) and $400 at the dentist. (that was for me) .I'm not broke but I have to be little frugal. I just fitted a Bushnell scope on my 243.Not expensive but very happy with it, and that was only a bit over $200.

It's a shame you aren't closer to me or you could try some of my scopes.
I reckon I could post you up one of my AR Optics 4.5-18x40's though if you really want to try one out. Play with it for a few weeks then send it back.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by thebear » 15 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

I have Nikko Stirling, Tascos, Bushnells and one fairly expensive scope on a Sako. I found that the Bushnell on my 30 30 Marlin was very good at dusk compared to the Tasco on my CZ 22, when after a feral cat that the property owner asked me to shoot. However I will not pay big dollars for scopes these days. I have not had any issues with any of them. After all all three are well known brands. A lot of us cannot to pay $1000 + for a scope. The other reason I will not pay big money is that if you are unfortunate to damage the scope it is a lot of money gone.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Apr 2017, 6:09 pm

On a side note have you had a look at the Athlon range of scopes? The Talos 4-14x44 with side focus is $299 from Optics Planet. Don't know what these are like and am only making a suggestion. Has anyone had anything to do with this range of scopes. There are others that may suit the budget better but this seems to fit the bill, so to speak.
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 6:10 pm

RoginaJack wrote:On a side note have you had a look at the Athlon range of scopes? The Talos 4-14x44 with side focus is $299 from Optics Planet. Don't know what these are like and am only making a suggestion. Has anyone had anything to do with this range of scopes. There are others that may suit the budget better but this seems to fit the bill, so to speak.
Cheers,

Is that US$299 or AU$?
US$300 plus postage is probably double the budget.

It's also FFP which I wouldn't recommend.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:03 pm

I've just fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x 40 to my Ruger 243. I am very happy with it. I have this very afternoon purchased fro the USA a Bushnell Banner 4 - 16 x 40 Delivered it cost me $214 which I think is a bloody good price. I know Bushnell is only a budget priced scope but frankly I have always been satisfied with the ones I have had. I am only shooting about 25 rounds week at the local range in daylight. I am not slogging through the bush looking for game at sunset. My scopes have a very easy working life.Thank you to all who took the time to offer constructive advice.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

Thank you bladeracer for your offer but as see I have fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x $0 AR optics to my 243. Aren't they a fabulous scope for the price. Mine cost $229. Have seen them from some sources for $350.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Sorry that should read 4.4 -18 x 40. Not the best typist.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 7:15 pm

colinbentley wrote:Thank you bladeracer for your offer but as see I have fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x $0 AR optics to my 243. Aren't they a fabulous scope for the price. Mine cost $229. Have seen them from some sources for $350.

They are indeed outstanding value. I have six of them. The first few were close to $300.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Paying more for something that is better than you need is not saving, it's just paying more, and price does not guaranty you get a better product.
I would bet there are an awful lot of rifles still around with $25 scopes on them from the seventies and eighties that still work just fine. I have an old Tasco 4-power from the early eighties and an old Nikko-Stirling 4x32 that came on my M38 Mauser, both are still very nice optics, especially the Nikko.

Yes the Jap Tascos are great, got 2 or 3 myself, the Tascos of today are rubbish in comparision hence my suggestion. :drinks:

Those scopes are for suckers new to the game, those who have been around for a long time know not to go near em, but there will be exceptions who still think they are the same as the Jap versions. :unknown: Each to their own.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 16 Apr 2017, 8:03 am

I got thre bushnell AR thingy on my 243 no dramas so far i cart it atound in thick jungle most of the time so didnt want to spend a fortune in case i f___k it like the bigfella said can get a tad unclear on max mag but i usually only crank it to 6x occasionally for hunting all in all mot bad value had it for a while now
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm

I would have suggested Vortex Diamondback in that generL price range but too late to the party. Also weaver fixed power for your target shootings. Fixed power scopes are easier to push quality for budget than variables. Less glass and moving parts, etc..
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 19 Apr 2017, 8:46 am

You could also have a look at the Athalon range they seem to be pretty good for the price.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

I've got both brands on different guns, I can't really tell the difference to be honest. Which reticle do you like, assuming they're different, and does one of the scopes seem to be brighter when you look through it? if no real difference it is six of one, half dozen of the other.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics