Bushnell Banner or Tasco

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Bushnell Banner or Tasco

Post by thebear » 15 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

I have Nikko Stirling, Tascos, Bushnells and one fairly expensive scope on a Sako. I found that the Bushnell on my 30 30 Marlin was very good at dusk compared to the Tasco on my CZ 22, when after a feral cat that the property owner asked me to shoot. However I will not pay big dollars for scopes these days. I have not had any issues with any of them. After all all three are well known brands. A lot of us cannot to pay $1000 + for a scope. The other reason I will not pay big money is that if you are unfortunate to damage the scope it is a lot of money gone.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Apr 2017, 6:09 pm

On a side note have you had a look at the Athlon range of scopes? The Talos 4-14x44 with side focus is $299 from Optics Planet. Don't know what these are like and am only making a suggestion. Has anyone had anything to do with this range of scopes. There are others that may suit the budget better but this seems to fit the bill, so to speak.
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 6:10 pm

RoginaJack wrote:On a side note have you had a look at the Athlon range of scopes? The Talos 4-14x44 with side focus is $299 from Optics Planet. Don't know what these are like and am only making a suggestion. Has anyone had anything to do with this range of scopes. There are others that may suit the budget better but this seems to fit the bill, so to speak.
Cheers,

Is that US$299 or AU$?
US$300 plus postage is probably double the budget.

It's also FFP which I wouldn't recommend.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:03 pm

I've just fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x 40 to my Ruger 243. I am very happy with it. I have this very afternoon purchased fro the USA a Bushnell Banner 4 - 16 x 40 Delivered it cost me $214 which I think is a bloody good price. I know Bushnell is only a budget priced scope but frankly I have always been satisfied with the ones I have had. I am only shooting about 25 rounds week at the local range in daylight. I am not slogging through the bush looking for game at sunset. My scopes have a very easy working life.Thank you to all who took the time to offer constructive advice.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

Thank you bladeracer for your offer but as see I have fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x $0 AR optics to my 243. Aren't they a fabulous scope for the price. Mine cost $229. Have seen them from some sources for $350.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 15 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Sorry that should read 4.4 -18 x 40. Not the best typist.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 7:15 pm

colinbentley wrote:Thank you bladeracer for your offer but as see I have fitted a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x $0 AR optics to my 243. Aren't they a fabulous scope for the price. Mine cost $229. Have seen them from some sources for $350.

They are indeed outstanding value. I have six of them. The first few were close to $300.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I'd learn to save and be patient, cos I too don't have a heap of money to waste on firearms and accessories so I've learn't to be patient and save, as I said earlier those cheap scopes are usually ordinary when it comes to clarity on the higher mag ranges hence why I said buy something better, but by all means find out the hard way. :drinks:

Learning to save and being patient don't enter into it if you are restricted to $250.
Is there something else you would choose over the two offerings, or would you perhaps go secondhand instead?

Learning to save saves you buying s**t which costs you more in the long run as you eventually realise it was that price for a reason.

Paying more for something that is better than you need is not saving, it's just paying more, and price does not guaranty you get a better product.
I would bet there are an awful lot of rifles still around with $25 scopes on them from the seventies and eighties that still work just fine. I have an old Tasco 4-power from the early eighties and an old Nikko-Stirling 4x32 that came on my M38 Mauser, both are still very nice optics, especially the Nikko.

Yes the Jap Tascos are great, got 2 or 3 myself, the Tascos of today are rubbish in comparision hence my suggestion. :drinks:

Those scopes are for suckers new to the game, those who have been around for a long time know not to go near em, but there will be exceptions who still think they are the same as the Jap versions. :unknown: Each to their own.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 16 Apr 2017, 8:03 am

I got thre bushnell AR thingy on my 243 no dramas so far i cart it atound in thick jungle most of the time so didnt want to spend a fortune in case i f___k it like the bigfella said can get a tad unclear on max mag but i usually only crank it to 6x occasionally for hunting all in all mot bad value had it for a while now
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm

I would have suggested Vortex Diamondback in that generL price range but too late to the party. Also weaver fixed power for your target shootings. Fixed power scopes are easier to push quality for budget than variables. Less glass and moving parts, etc..
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 19 Apr 2017, 8:46 am

You could also have a look at the Athalon range they seem to be pretty good for the price.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

I've got both brands on different guns, I can't really tell the difference to be honest. Which reticle do you like, assuming they're different, and does one of the scopes seem to be brighter when you look through it? if no real difference it is six of one, half dozen of the other.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 May 2017, 6:33 pm

There are some good scopes out there under $300.
I think scopes have just got out of hand over the years,I never pay more for
a scope than the rifle (crazy)and the prices now for some American scopes
ridiculous for what we have to pay here.
You can get a scope to handle the recoil of a 50bmg ,but a spring powered air rifle can turn it into crap under 100 rounds.
Pick a scope your comfortable with, it's like blue ray and dvd hd unless you compare one after the other you won't know the difference when you are hunting. :shock:
Member-Deleted

Post by Garth » 23 Jun 2017, 7:27 pm

Don't buy any of those junk save get a good scope.I have brought cheap crap for ages .spent more than a good scopes worth should done it from day one
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by TBJ » 23 Jun 2017, 10:52 pm

Out of Tasco and Bushnell I personally would go Bushnell every time, having used both but as many have said I would save up and buy a nice scope you'll save money in the long run guaranteed
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2017, 10:58 pm

Jezzami101 wrote:Out of Tasco and Bushnell I personally would go Bushnell every time, having used both but as many have said I would save up and buy a nice scope you'll save money in the long run guaranteed

It depends on the specific model - both do crap models and very good models. Bushnell Banner though isn't worth much more than the $60 or so that you pay on Ebay. They do serve a purpose though. I put an old $60 Banner 6-24x40 on my brother's Anschutz 64 to rule out his Nikko Sterling as a problem. Works just fine for daylight range work. Once I can get the rifle shooting like it should then he'll chase up something better for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 24 Jun 2017, 8:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:It depends on the specific model - both do crap models and very good models. Bushnell Banner though isn't worth much more than the $60 or so that you pay on Ebay. They do serve a purpose though. I put an old $60 Banner 6-24x40 on my brother's Anschutz 64 to rule out his Nikko Sterling as a problem. Works just fine for daylight range work. Once I can get the rifle shooting like it should then he'll chase up something better for it.

Without a doubt there will always be crap scopes as long as people will buy them sadly, a cheapo scope may appear to work at the range in daylight but it may not hold zero very well and the windage adjustments probably wont be as accurate as they could be but each to their own, Personally I believe the minimum you should spend on a scope is around 50% of the cost of the rifle with optimum being the same or more, in order to maximise the rifles potential, to the OP I really think you should wait and buy a quality scope either new or have you considered buying a used scope? In terms of ebay I would never buy a scope from ebay as there is a surprising number of really terrible fakes of all brands including Bushnell around and when I say terrible I mean I would probably be better to use no scope with no iron sights
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2017, 8:37 pm

Jezzami101 wrote:Without a doubt there will always be crap scopes as long as people will buy them sadly, a cheapo scope may appear to work at the range in daylight but it may not hold zero very well and the windage adjustments probably wont be as accurate as they could be but each to their own, Personally I believe the minimum you should spend on a scope is around 50% of the cost of the rifle with optimum being the same or more, in order to maximise the rifles potential, to the OP I really think you should wait and buy a quality scope either new or have you considered buying a used scope? In terms of ebay I would never buy a scope from ebay as there is a surprising number of really terrible fakes of all brands including Bushnell around and when I say terrible I mean I would probably be better to use no scope with no iron sights

People will only keep buying them if they do the job expected of them.
Price is no guarantee of quality, never was, never will be. People will only keep buying over-priced scopes if people keep telling them they have to.

There are plenty of excellent low-priced scopes on the market for those of us that own more than one rifle or simply prefer to spend our money on other things than scopes. $1000 scope, or a $300 scope and $700 of ammo? I know what I'd pick :-)
I can live with $2500 worth of scopes in my safes, but not $10,000 worth - I have much better uses for that money. I heard the Ruger American 450 Bushman arrives in a few weeks for example ;-)

I see no value at all in putting a $500+ scope on a deer rifle or big game rifle that is going to make a few dozen shots per year. A varmint, plinking or target rifle deserves a good quality scope to get the most of the huge amount of ammo you'll put through it, but most of their use is in good light anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics