Scopes from US

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scopes from US

Post by Goshawk » 01 May 2017, 3:36 pm

Hi all.
Im off to the states in a couple of weeks and will be stopping in at cabelas etc while im there. Am i allowed to bring back rifle scopes in my luggage? What about digital nightvision scopes?

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Scopes from US

Post by TheGreenwolf » 01 May 2017, 4:28 pm

also...does anyone know what you can and cant order in yourself from overseas?

obviously the whole gun is a nono, but could you get a stock? or a bipod?
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by AusTac » 01 May 2017, 4:41 pm

Alot of junk comes under ITAR so just be careful scopes may be a part of that
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by combo12 » 01 May 2017, 5:52 pm

Can do, have done. No problem with scopes from the US. Scott at the Rifle Scopes Store is very helpful. However some US vendors won't ship to Oz. All too hard it seems.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Goshawk » 01 May 2017, 5:56 pm

I will be bringing it back in my luggage. So no postage issue. Just wondering if I will be hasseled by border and customs on flight back into Australia.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Goshawk » 01 May 2017, 6:03 pm

Thinking of grabbing am x-sight 2 or a yukon photon XT from Cabelas in Dayton, Ohio.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 May 2017, 6:11 pm

G'day Goshawk,
It entirely depends on WHICH scope you want. Some are restricted, such as some of the Leupold MkIV series and may be seized by Customs until you provide a B109, others such as Kahles etc are fine. You will need to check with the Customs website before you go to see what is listed and what is not. The same thing applies in the US, check what is or is not permitted by ITARS. Fixed one piece stocks are exempt, etc. Another source is to contact the scope maker direct, Leupold 's website has a list of their ITAR restricted scopes, so that would be a place to start, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 May 2017, 6:12 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:also...does anyone know what you can and cant order in yourself from overseas?

obviously the whole gun is a nono, but could you get a stock? or a bipod?

Anything that is restricted here you will need B709 import permits in place before ordering. Restricted items also need to be shipped to a state where they are legal.

"Gun parts" are a bit of a grey area as many parts have multiple uses.
Stocks are generally okay, but Customs are likely to hold them while they work out if that wooden 1940 .22 rifle stock is legal - happened to me.

If you don't want to risk losing items to Customs rather than put in the permits, then order through a company that has the permits already in place, like Brownells.com.au.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 May 2017, 6:14 pm

Goshawk wrote:I will be bringing it back in my luggage. So no postage issue. Just wondering if I will be hasseled by border and customs on flight back into Australia.

If it's expensive then I wouldn't be surprised to be hit up for GST.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 02 May 2017, 12:18 pm

Leupold has a deal with Nioa and does not permit U.S sales to Aus.
As for putting it in your luggage, it is a bit of a lottery. It can come down to the U.S border agents personal interpretation of ITAR regulations and these are people you don't get into arguments with. If they decide to confiscate it, it's gone.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Sawyers » 02 Jun 2017, 9:50 pm

You would be very unlucky to get caught even if you brought a restricted scope in your luggage, a bit off topic but a few years ago I bought a 2 foot formaldeyde embalmed alligator head back with no problems.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by TBJ » 03 Jun 2017, 7:43 am

Gamerancher wrote:Leupold has a deal with Nioa and does not permit U.S sales to Aus.
As for putting it in your luggage, it is a bit of a lottery. It can come down to the U.S border agents personal interpretation of ITAR regulations and these are people you don't get into arguments with. If they decide to confiscate it, it's gone.

They may have a deal with nioa but there is still a few places that will send them in the post a few of my mates have done that.
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 03 Jun 2017, 8:09 pm

And where exactly do these US exit inspections take place. Your bags are already checked in and gone before they see your passport. There is no declaration that asks " are you breaching itars rules" . Just buy the scope and stick it in your bags. On arrival here the only consideration is the duty value of the items you have bought overseas.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics