Bore sighting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bore sighting

Post by Gizo » 14 May 2017, 11:01 am

I recently purchased a cz452 with a Nikko Stirling mount master,
It was bore sighted at the shop when I took it to the range it was shooting about 70 cm low.
I just upgraded to a bushnell trophy, it was again bore sighted at the shop ( different shop) . Didn't get a chance to sight it before I went out we chucked a target up and walked out to approx 50 meters had a few shots, could not see it hit, we were in long grass so I thought I will wait to the range.
I put the rifle in a cradle at home and put a target on my shed about 10 meters away, lined it up with the bore, looked through the sight and at 10 meters it appears to be 15-20cm low,

I thought bore sighting was supposed to put you on paper? Is this poor bore sighting by the shops, or is there potentially something else wrong or is this standard for bore sighting

Cheers in advance

Tim
Gizo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bore sighting

Post by Supaduke » 14 May 2017, 11:10 am

Bore sighting is a skill like any other and very subjective. One persons 'pretty crap' is another persons 'good enough' .

Or the shop just spun you a line of ****** and never did it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 May 2017, 11:25 am

In my experience bore sighting can go eaither way ( or maybe i'm just crap at it ), as long as the scope looks right, everythings done up tight and whatever mounting system it's on it tight and level, shoot it, zero it and don't make a mountain out of a mole hill
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 14 May 2017, 11:34 am

At the range 2 weeks ago, young bloke first time at the range new gun nice too,said they had bore sighted it for him at shop he bought from and did not charge him for that at all, he thought that was good deal only thing was wrong was scope was on with windage on the top (90 degrees) I have seen that a few times at the range and believe it now when I ask what shop they all say the same even saw a scope on backwards once. ( all saying same shop)

So difference in bore sighting poa (point of Aim) to poi(point of impact) it is only a guide as said depend who does it and how they have fitted the scope.

Only thing I use the bore scope for is when i have poa and poi the way I want at range needed I bore scope and keep a copy of the reading in my file on my phone ( it may not be center to cross hairs) so if I am suspect about scope I can look and see
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 May 2017, 11:41 am

I don't have the "gizmos" to bore sight, so my bore sighting is really looking through the bore and the scope, alternatively, to just get me on the paper, usually a 2 foot by 3 foot sheet of cardboard with the Bullseye on the center. I start at 25 yards, move closer if I have to, then stretch my range out as needed and in steps. I always test fire/live fire to sight in.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 May 2017, 12:19 pm

Dont stress it. Just get a big sheet of paper/cardboard and start at 25m.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 May 2017, 1:30 pm

FWIW, I always bore sighted at a distance of several hundred metres. That helps to get the windage as close as possible, for a start. The elevation is always problematic and will depend on whether the fore end is bearing against the barrel. Firstly though, centre the scope adjustments. As others have said, get as close to a target as you can when you finally test it.
Good Luck :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 14 May 2017, 2:08 pm

Gun shop bore sighting only sets the windage, you can't set the elevation without time to measure scope height over bore and set up the bore sighter correctly.

Take it to the range, bore sight, adjust and fire one round. If it takes you more than 5 rounds to sight in a new scope you're doing it wrong

Recently I set up a gun with a new scope. bore sighted at 50m, his within 100mm of the center, adjusted and second shot was 20mm low of bullseye so went up a few clicks and went to 200m. first shot was good enough for a kill at that range.

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 May 2017, 6:27 pm

Get in the habit of centering your xhairs - I use the mirror technique.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gizo » 14 May 2017, 7:11 pm

What is the mirror technique?
Gizo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 14 May 2017, 7:11 pm

Looking through a bore at a target is like an extremely large peep sight and it is easy to not centre a target. The closer the target, the smaller the error. The view through a 22 cal bore at several hundred metres is massive and you would really need to carefully centre the target dot before centering the crosshairs. The shop may have carefully aligned on a small dot on the wall and carefully measured scope height etc or just had a quick look across the street with the rifle resting on a folded up coat. It would be easy to do a s**t job of something that should be very simple.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 14 May 2017, 7:12 pm

Last edited by deanp100 on 15 May 2017, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 14 May 2017, 7:30 pm

Gizo wrote:What is the mirror technique?

I'm not sure how this got into the Bore Sighting story but the "Mirror Technique" is what is used to center your Scope Crosshairs to zero elevation and windage. You place a mirror on the front of your scope (with a good light source) and you will perhaps see two images of the reticle. One is the reticle itself the other is the reflection that will be off center if not zero. You adjust both elevation and windage to get one single image. That's a Zero Setting which is how a brand new scope should come out of the factory. It's a starting point.

Then you "Bore Sight". To me there are two meanings to Bore Sighting. One uses something called a "Bore Sighter" attached to the Muzzle end of your barrel.
The method of Bore Sighting that I use is to put a target out at 100m (perhaps 50m for a .22LR) but no closer. My targets are A4 Page Size taped to a Beer Box sitting on the ground. I put my rifle in my rest on a bench and look through the bore. I center the A4 page in the bore looking from behind say 3-400mm away then look through the scope. I adjust the scope to be perhaps 50mm higher than center then fire a shot. 99% of the time there is a hole in the target. I then reposition the scope crosshairs to the bullet hole and adjust windage / elevation back to the point of initial aim. Second shot should be exactly where point of aim is, if not a fine adjustment for a third confirmation shot.

Two - Three shots to sight in a rifle scope exactly. Then, move target further out to like 2-300m and check point of impact... not when it's blowing a wind gale or wild mirage.

Job done.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 May 2017, 8:04 pm

Gizo wrote:What is the mirror technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A3GwfB0Yg8
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 25 Jul 2017, 3:05 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Dont stress it. Just get a big sheet of paper/cardboard and start at 25m.

I agree.

Personally I've never had much luck bore sighting and the occasions I did it to start with, I wasted more time than I would have just putting out a target at 25m and being done with it.

Put out a decent size target (a bit of cardboard with a dot on it will do) and 25m and get zeroed.

Move it out to 100m and you'll just have a couple of inches of elevation to adjust, easy.

No looking for which side of the target the dirt puffed up on in the distance.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics