Upgrade within the Vortex scope line

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Upgrade within the Vortex scope line

Post by YoungSC » 05 Jun 2017, 2:02 pm

I bought a CZ452 and a Vortex Crossfire II (4-12 x 40 AO) scope about 9 months ago, as it was cost effective for my first foray into the sport.

I like Vortex, so I'm thinking of upgrading to a Diamondback HP 4-16 x 42, hoping for better clarity. When the Crossfire is on 12x mag, there's a fine line of head movement before I lose the edge of the sight picture. I'm hoping that the Diamondback will be better at the same mag, as it's not maxed out, but still benefit from 16x for things like bench rest. It's actually slightly lighter than the Crossfire which is a plus.

With my birthday coming up soon, I mentioned this to my wife. She said how much? I said around $600. Her eyes got wide, but to her credit she said OK, if it covers Christmas and Fathers day. I say this because I'm not going to be able to stretch any further in the foreseeable future.

I'm mostly shooting field rifle and will also shoot at my brother in laws farm a couple of times a year. What do you think? Is this step worth it?
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Re: Upgrade within the Vortex scope line

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

I think so. The glass on the HP is a step up from that on the ordinary Diamondback and the Diamondback a step up from the CF. I was chatting to a guy who sells the Vortex line and he said that he would pay for the Diamondback but wouldn't pay for a Crossfire. I already owned a Diamondback so it's not like he was trying to sell me something.

Bought both my DBs from these guys. The HP wasn't out when i got mine. I can see 22lr bullet holes at 50m with my 4-12x42. It's good day and night, even though there are probably better but for the price it is great IMHO. I'm sure the HP will be better.
http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php? ... vendorid=2

PS: they aren't a "dialing" scope but are great for set & forget zeroing. I'm tipping the HP won't be miles ahead on the dialing side of things so bare that in mind if you are looking for something that you plan to change elevation and windage on a regular basis for target. If that's what you are after, save a bit and put it in the B'day account for a step up to the HST line from Vortex. They are more like the PST, which i know are very good to dial back and forth and return to zero.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungSC » 05 Jun 2017, 5:56 pm

Thanks Gwion!
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by YoungSC » 06 Jun 2017, 9:26 pm

OK, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I did some more research including a comparison of scopes in my price range, suggesting that the Meopta may be a better option. This review didn't target the exact models on my list, but I took it as a representative commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZ2egMlxmg&t=651s

I'm looking at the 6-18x50 MeoPro.

Compared to the Vortex,

Pluses are:
1) Arguably better glass and light transmission.
2) A more turret style adjustment.
3) Higher top end magnification.

Negatives are:

1) Will the bolt on my CZ have enough clearance?
2) Lowest magnification is 6, which isn't ideal for hunting. However I'm mostly shooting target.
3) The parallax adjustment only goes down to 50m.

In regards to the last negative, two of the field rifle positions are at 25m. Is there going to be a significant issue here?
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

The Meopta are good from all accounts. The parallax on minimum will be fine on a 22lr but I can't comment on scope clearance.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungSC » 07 Jun 2017, 9:15 pm

Thanks again. Ordered one today.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by scaredyet » 10 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm

Where are vortex scopes made? I'm looking for a scope for my cz452 mainly for target/plinking $500 max
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 8:08 am

Phillipines I think. Top of the line are Japanese.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics