Leupold LTO Tracker (thermal)

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Leupold LTO Tracker (thermal)

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jun 2017, 12:24 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Quick video I did a year ago with the thermal scope I've got fitted to the .308. Remember "Thermal" and not "Nightvision" 2 totally different technologies, kitty's foot prints are visible for some time even with only a fraction of a second to transfer heat. Furniture is "visible" due to temperature differential's, 1:37 in the clip you'll see my footprints that were still visible for sometime.

I'm not saying that footprints/blood can't be tracked via thermal but I think this is probably where the quality of the two units differ. From memory, your thermal scope was around $4-5k if I'm not mistaken which will be quite the step up from the budget Leupold unit. Does the LTO show footprints the same as your scope?

Yes, the LTO will see footprints for some time but the sharpness isn't the same as the XD50 due to the resolution of the sensor 384x288@50Hz vrs. the LTO's Raytheon 206x156@30Hz sensor. The LTO is reasonably priced and a lot of tech for the money. The manual is useless as there's no explanation on changing the battery and how to switch the reticle on / off.

Some notes on use.
Power - Push & hold 2-3 sec to power on, same to power off.
Reticle - Double tap the power button to toggle it on / off
Zoom - Single tap the zoom button to increase by 1 power, push and hold for fine zoom by 0.1 power up then palette button for 0.1 down. 1 click on the power button to return to the course x1 power zoom increments.
Battery - Grasp the screen end in right hand, unscrew the contoured collar and separate the 2 parts but don't pull too hard as there's a cable joining the 2 sections that isn't overly robust or flexible.
IMG_3205.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG (59.52 KiB) Viewed 6706 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 08 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm

Great info. TYVM! :thumbsup:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 20 Jun 2017, 5:56 pm

Seek Thermal XR fitted to a phone or tablet is pretty cool, I got an ""demo"" one from the states for less than 300. Clayton has this and the leupold. Have a look..
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Jun 2017, 9:06 am

The Tracker arrived in the post yesterday, kind of impressed with it. Was really cool to point it at the roof and see where the roof batts were not providing insulation to the house. Only wish it had a slightly larger screen.
Will report on what I think of it once I take it out on a hunt with me.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Apr 2018, 11:13 am

I'm contemplating buying something for helping find animals e.g foxes at night without total reliance on a spotlight. So, I'm looking for some experienced comments on something like the LTO versus the Bushnell IR monoscope http://www.bushnell.com/wildlife/outdoo ... -equinox-z

Thanks in advance
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Apr 2018, 1:03 pm

In my opinion it's going to vary on the type foxing you do and the type of terrain you are shooting in.

If you are going to be calling them in non-open country (bushes, trees, etc.) I think you are better off with the monocular with a better IR torch attached to it as they will be coming to you and should be easy to spot the eye shine from a good distance away.
If you are out in paddocks and more open areas looking for foxes on the prowl, the thermal unit might be better as you won't pick up fox eye shine if they aren't looking your way, but the LTO doesn't have a huge range and the tiny screen doesn't help.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 17 Aug 2019, 4:39 pm

There is a new version of this with HD resolution

Old one had specs:

Features:
206x156 thermal sensor resolution
Detection Distance: Up to 600 yards
Display: Direct View 1.22" round
Color Palettes: 5 Optional Thermal Filters
Field of View: 20 degrees
Display Resolution: 240 x 204 pixels
Frame Rate: 30Hz FastFrame
Zoom: 4x Digital Zoom
Startup Time: < 3sec
Battery: 1x CR123A
Runtime: 10 hrs continuous
Country of Origin: USA
Warranty: 2-year Electronics Warranty

New one:

Display Resolution 390x390
Thermal Sensor 320x240
Digital Zoom 6x
Field of View 18.1@1.6x; 4.9@6x
Operating Temperature -4F to 140F
Frame Rate 25Hz
Weight (oz) 7
Focus Fixed Display 1.2" Round AMOLED with Gorilla Glass Cover
Detection Distance (yd) 750
Color Palettes 8 Options
Startup Time <4 sec
Battery CR123
Battery Life Minimum 3 hours @25C
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 18 Aug 2019, 8:15 am

I heard from the bloke at Night Hunter ( also read in another article) how the maximum detection distance is calculated. It seems to an accepted method by thermal producers in their product description.
A man size target at say 600 yards means that 600 yards is the maximum distance a single pixel is illuminated by the target.
Yes, it’s good to have a standard to compare different products but you need to be aware of what “ man size detection at 600 yards “ really means.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 18 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

Also, note that the Leupold Tracker 2HD comes in several models, one of which is being advertised for around $1000 on eBay, which seems like a great deal until you find that it's actually been discontinued. Check the bad reviews on Amazon to see why.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics