How do Optilocks work?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

How do Optilocks work?

Post by Flyer » 21 Jun 2017, 9:19 pm

This might sound like a dumb question, but . . . where should the front Optilock base on a Sako tapered dovetail sit?

The rear Optilock base is a no-brainer, as it has a recoil stop and sits hard up, about inline with the rear ejection port. Some say the front base should also line up with ejection port (all the way back in the dovetail). Others say you locate the base in the middle of the dovetail and then move it back and forth depending on windage - forward moving the POI to the right, rearwards moving the POI to the left.

Which method is correct? Has anyone had any trouble with windage setting up the front base either too far forward or back?

I need to know, roughly, where the rings will sit in relation to my scope so I can order either the Long base or the Short base for my .223. I know the Short base is designed for the X-Short and Short actions, but I like my scopes to sit quite far back, so I'm trying to decide whether to get a Long base, and mount it in the middle of the dovetail, or a Short base, and mount it towards the rear. Thanks

The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Re: How do Optilocks work?

Post by Apollo » 21 Jun 2017, 9:40 pm

Hi mate, I'm not at home at present so I can't take a photo.
For a Sako 85 XS which is the .223Rem / .204R it's the "Short Sako" and the front mount goes back level with the port opening. If you move it forwards like many have done you will run into windage problems. It is specified in the instructions in the box or on the Sako site.
The Sako Long mounts are for the larger much longer calibres.
The action sizes to models are listed at the top two you have included in your post.ie Sako 75 I-III short action then III-V long action.
If for some reason you need a tad of adjustment for a zeroed scope you could fiddle but you shouldn't need to unless something is wrong.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 21 Jun 2017, 11:24 pm

Thanks mate. Check your phone messages when you get home :D

Yeah, I understand which bases go on which action-length rifles, but I've looked at lots of photos online and a lot of people have their front Optilock bases sitting in the middle, or sometimes towards the front, of the dovetail, so that's why I was wondering where exactly they should be (at least as a starting point). I used to just think the mounts slid on and wherever they went tight was where you locked the screw. Clearly I was wrong.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Apollo » 21 Jun 2017, 11:49 pm

I will.

Just remember the Sako is a Tapered Dovetail. The Optilocks are also Tapered but one side is a fixed taper, the other has the adjustable clamp. The further forward you push the fixed side the further it goes off line from center. Fixed side on the left so the further left the scope goes as you move the mount forward.

There are Tapered Dovetail Mounts (with a Weaver Rail top) that do slide on and you lock them where they become tight as you mention BUT they do not have an adjustable side clamp. They stay centered as you move them forward to just a snug fit then they have just lock screws.

On another point, Sako do make what they call Optilock Ringmounts, which is the mount and scope ring all in one. I have a secondhand set but to date I have not found anywhere any instructions on where the front one should be, not even on the Sako site. One day I'll send them an email and ask where they are hiding the instructions or maybe test them myself with a windage zeroed scope.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 22 Jun 2017, 12:47 am

Optilock ringmounts were my preferred option, but my scope is too big (52mm). I've looked at most of the other options for mounting, and none of them seem to rival Optilocks for fit and stability - except the Contessa (picatinny) rail on my other Sako, though it's heavy (200+ grams with Weaver style rings) and quite high. I've tried Weaver and Burris Sako bases, but wasn't happy with them, while the Talley system costs about the same as the Optilocks but doesn't have the plastic insert rings. No-one seems to have anything nice to say about the Leupold ringmounts, so I'm reluctant to try them.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics