Talley rings

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Talley rings

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 6:06 pm

My boo boo: This is from the Talley website:

Where does Talley measure their rings from?
- On our lightweight rings, we measure from the top of the receiver to where the bottom of the scope will rest.
- Steel rings are measured from the top of the base where the ring sits to the bottom of the scope tube.
- Bases are measured from the top of the receiver to where the ring will sit.
- Our Picatinny rings are measured from the top of the rail to centerline of the scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 6:19 pm

So, if i'm not completely mistaken, that should be your 19mm (make it 20mm) - 12.5mm (half diameter of scope tube will be bottom of tube: make it 12mm for the extra 1/2mm clearance) and you are left with 8mm as minimum ring height (0.314").

Any of those rings should be fine depending on your natural cheek weld. No point having it too high and looking at the bottom of the scope or too low and looking at the top of the scope. Ideally you want to be able to bring the rifle up, naturally place your cheek to the stock and be looking dead down the center of the scope.... ideally.

You could play around with the rifle and a ruler placed roughly where the ocular lens will be and see exactly where your eye looks when you "mount" the rifle. This will probably need about 18 sets of hands to do satisfactorily, though and is probably a bit OTT, but that's me. Subtract you 12.5mm from this number (center of lens=center of scope bell/tube) and choose the rings that are closest to that size.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 6:29 pm

Another idea:

Fold a piece of card into an L so you can tape it to the receiver where the ocular lens would be (roughly), make on it the height of each tally ring plus 12.5mm. Raise and mount the rifle with your eyes closes and then open them. Which mark are you naturally looking at first. Repeat as many times as you feel necessary until you are confident which ring height you need.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 6:56 pm

Sorry... OCD kicking in. Been laid up with crook guts all day and a bit bored....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2017, 7:09 pm

Lol. Yeah I worked it out myself and have ordered the .410 height rings
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 29 Jun 2017, 4:13 pm

You want the Extra Low rings, plain and simple. Works perfect on a few of mine.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 30 Jun 2017, 6:53 pm

Yeah that's what I ordered
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics