Best Power for Scope for Varminting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Best Power for Scope for Varminting

Post by fxol » 24 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

What Browning said sums up my thoughts.......Varminting, walking and spotlighting each have different demands and combining all 3 needs into one scope may mean a compromise. As others have said, until you look through a scope like a Zeiss Diavari at night, you don't know what you're missing. A mate has the 72mm Diavari on his 204 and I have the 56mm version on a 17H. He looked through my Sightron STac and was impressed at the clarity at night and I reckon they are a great allround option with a mag range of 2.5 - 17.5 and the 56mm obj to pull in light. Not ideal for a walk around option but superb glass. Daytime there are plenty of solid options - Bushnell Extreme is good value to my eyes.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Sep 2017, 1:41 pm

the problem I have with zeiss conquests is the thickness of the cross hair, I like nightforce and leupold in your price range,
being a varmint scope weight should not be an issue
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

marksman wrote:the problem I have with zeiss conquests is the thickness of the cross hair, I like nightforce and leupold in your price range,
being a varmint scope weight should not be an issue

Yr spot on marksman...
I have a Zeiss Conquest hd 5-25x50 with varmint hunter reticle...
I find the reticle is too thick for daytime varmint/target shooting...particularly beyond 300yds.
On the other hand it is dynamite for spotlighting by way of easy & rapid target/reticle aquisition...particularly when stretching the limits of the spotlight where contrast levels are low at best.
From what ive seen i like the Leupold, but im stuck with mine now.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm

I also shoot regularly with one of those cheaper Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50 jobbies with varmint reticle on a mates new rifle...
Even thicker reticle than the Zeiss so it sucks during daylight...but again your on very quickly under spotlight.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

I've got a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 ''etched reticle'' on my 25-06 ''magic''
My 22-250 at present has a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 it has a thicker cross hair
If I was to rescope any hunting rifle of mine I would put Z3s on them real fine cross hair you just have to develop
an accurate load then get the weight of projectile and speed then put them on the Swarovski ballistic program and
bobs your uncle they were spot on with mine on the 25-06

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by Browning » 25 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

Yeah, it's hard to get a "one scope does all".
I love the fine reticle on my Z3 for nighttime work under the spotty. During the day I mainly use a shotty or a rifle with an Aimpoint.
If you're stalking deer, I reckon something like the z6 2-12x50 would be a cracking all rounder but you pay for it....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics