Scope for 22LR

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Sep 2017, 9:29 am

Plinker wrote:
sungazer wrote:Change your mind. Its not enough magnification. You will be disappointed and buying another scope within months. There are a lot of comments on here that dont recommended enough magnification. For example Duncan and his 25*52 for shooting at 1000yrds I don't know anybody that uses such a scope they all use 32 times as a minimum a lot of 42 times some at 50, 60 then the expensive at 80. For the 22 a variable 4-16 about there would be my bet. I use bigger.

For a 22 though? This Nikon is meant to be a 'rimfire' scope

For target shooting I have seen a lot of enthusiasm for "big" variables with parallax adjustment. See rimfirecentral.com
But for a rimfire hunting scope I would have thought that Nikon would be ok i.e. like my Leupold only a bigger objective
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2017, 10:12 am

sungazer wrote:Change your mind. Its not enough magnification. You will be disappointed and buying another scope within months. There are a lot of comments on here that dont recommended enough magnification. For example Duncan and his 25*52 for shooting at 1000yrds I don't know anybody that uses such a scope they all use 32 times as a minimum a lot of 42 times some at 50, 60 then the expensive at 80. For the 22 a variable 4-16 about there would be my bet. I use bigger.

I would agree generally, but it probably makes a difference depending on exactly what you're shooting at. But even if you're just shooting rimfire to improve your centrefire shooting I think higher maximum magnification is better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 10:19 am

After a few thousand rounds through my Lithgow with a 12power scope I have some observations.
Spotting hits @ 100 (especially if they are in black VS white or going hole in hole/cloverleaf) is indeed hard and in hindsight I feel something 15 or higher would have been a better choice. Im very happy with the performance of the Bushnell ar223 scope aside from wanting more power.Holds zero no worries, i have it zeroed @ 50m and worked out elevation for 100m and have been back and fore award between these on the turret and its stayed spot on.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics