Scope for 22LR

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for 22LR

Post by Plinker » 13 Aug 2017, 6:59 pm

Hey guys,
I'm new to the sport and planning to start off with a 22lr to develop form etc. I've been advised not to go cheap on the scope and was wondering if I could use the same scope on both the 22 and sambar hunting rifle at a later date (e.g tikka 308)
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by AusC » 13 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Welcome Plinker,

It's possible to use the same scope on both, but you'll need to check the focus range and parallax of the scope.

22lr is really intended to be used at a range of 50 metres (or yards), when a scope is made for 22lr specifically some makers build them with fixed parallax set for this distance. This basically means it's not adjustable to use at any distance other than this, so won't be clear/accurate if you put it on your .308 and wanted to shoot at 100, 200, 300 metres etc.

Most scopes meant for centrefire rifles will have adjustable focus. You check what the minimum is before you buy it to make sure it's suitable for your rimfire as well.

I'm making up numbers here, but say one scope was 10 yards to infinity, that would be fine for both.

If another scopes focus was 70 yard to infinity, you wouldn't be able to focus close enough to use it on your 22lr at 50 yards.

I hope I've explained that clearly.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 13 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

I should add, once you've looked at a few scopes and have a few options post the models here if there's any doubt and someone can confirm for you :thumbsup:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 13 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

Thanks AusC, looking to buy in the next couple of months. Saw a review of Ruger American rifle with vxii 2-7 x28 variable scope - wondering whether this scope could potentially be used on a centerfire at some point in the future
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 13 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

6x40 for a .22LR.It does not shoot far enough for a variable.Some may disagree but 100metres is far enough for hunting Rabbits and foxes.A 308 is capable of target shooting to 1000m so 5-25 x 52 is about right in optics.My 7mm rem has a 3.5-14 x 52 leupold and I can see plenty good enough.remember on a big setting your movement is multiplied as well.On a 10x setting or above you will see the holes in the paper at 100 metres
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Aug 2017, 2:59 am

Plinker wrote:Thanks AusC, looking to buy in the next couple of months. Saw a review of Ruger American rifle with vxii 2-7 x28 variable scope - wondering whether this scope could potentially be used on a centerfire at some point in the future

No.
As a rule, 'package' scopes are trash.
That said, you don't need to spend a heap to get a good functional scope. I bought a $70 scope for one 22lr and it is surprisingly clear and holds zero well. At a fixed 5x mag it works fine for what it is used for. If you are target shooting you may want a variable scope with a higher max mag but it is not essential.
While you can swap scopes between rifles if fit with rails, i don't think it's a great idea to do so between rim fire and centre fire. Unless you plan on comp target shooting with your 22, I would be inclined just to get something functional to begin with. Plenty of cheap scopes will work just fine so long as they hold zero and are clear enough to give you good vision at 50-80m.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 Aug 2017, 3:33 am

When I get a 22LR, and choose to scope it, I don't go overboard on the scope. I'll go to Wal*Mart or one of the major sporting goods stores and lay out $20US to $40US, Bushnell or Tasco, and either a fixed power or variable. For centerfire I'll usually spring for a higher dollar scope, &100US to $300US, I can't justify spending more.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Dunxy » 14 Aug 2017, 9:49 am

Bushnell ar 223 is what i got for my lithgow .22lr, they are a centrefire scope but focus down very close on max zoom so work very well on a .22 and they have calculations in manual for zeroing and using holdover dots on 22lr so they are intended to run on rimfires as well , they run $300ishAUD

I don't believe swapping scopes around is an ideal solution due to having to re-sight rifle all the time.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

Dunxy wrote:Bushnell ar 223 is what i got for my lithgow .22lr, they are a centrefire scope but focus down very close on max zoom so work very well on a .22 and they have calculations in manual for zeroing and using holdover dots on 22lr so they are intended to run on rimfires as well , they run $300ishAUD

I don't believe swapping scopes around is an ideal solution due to having to re-sight rifle all the time.

Depends on the mounting system as to whether you have to resight them in again (sako Optiloks for example) my mate uses those and swaps scopes around to diff rifles without having to resight them in as a rule - for me I'd rather just have a scope on each rifle and be done with it, that way I can just pick it up and go shoot stuff without having to stuff around chopping and changing this over to that type thing, but each to their own of course.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2017, 10:53 am

To the Op you don't have to spend a fortune on scopes, just don't buy the bottom of the barrel so to speak, mid range ($300) ish is plenty good enough and I would avoid Adjustable Objectives - more trouble than they are worth especially for hunting purposes (own Adjustable and fixed Objectives) and find the fixed much better (quicker to use) when it comes to hunting (fine for range use) but when it comes to hunting time is often of the essence to get the job done and stuffing around trying to focus your scope for the perfect shot can be a PITA (been there and done that) and yes some say leave it sitting on 100m but for my eyes I find the scope needs to be focused now and I don't have that issue with my fixed scopes so something to be aware of.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dunxy » 14 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Depends on the mounting system as to whether you have to resight them in again (sako Optiloks for example) my mate uses those and swaps scopes around to diff rifles without having to resight them in as a rule - for me I'd rather just have a scope on each rifle and be done with it, that way I can just pick it up and go shoot stuff without having to stuff around chopping and changing this over to that type thing, but each to their own of course.

I know there are quick change mounting options that hold zero but i don't think that would be what the OP is looking for, possibly even cost more than just buying 2 scopes? I don't know as i haven't priced these mounting systems as im with you, 1 scope per rifle.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

Dunxy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I know there are quick change mounting options that hold zero but i don't think that would be what the OP is looking for, possibly even cost more than just buying 2 scopes? I don't know as i haven't priced these mounting systems as im with you, 1 scope per rifle.

I've tried a few different QD mount systems and they're pretty effective at allowing removal of the scope while maintaining zero. Even really cheap QD rings from China a very good on pic rails. But I've never heard of a system that allows you to swap a scope to a different rifle without zeroing it. When I swap or mount a scope I hang a laser off the rifle and zero it to the sights at 50m or 100m. Then I mount the new scope and zero it to the laser at the same range. I've done this dozens of times and rarely need any fine tuning. If you have accessible iron sights then you don't even need a laser, just zero the scope to the same aimpoint as the irons.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 14 Aug 2017, 2:09 pm

Plinker wrote:Thanks AusC, looking to buy in the next couple of months. Saw a review of Ruger American rifle with vxii 2-7 x28 variable scope - wondering whether this scope could potentially be used on a centerfire at some point in the future

That is a very nice scope.

It comes in 2 versions - a lightweight, which has parallax set for 100 or 150m for centrefire and a rimfire version with parallax set for 50 or 70m.

I have 3 of them and they're perfect - one is on a CZ fullstock 527 in .223 and the others are on CZ 452 fullstocks of different calibres.

For what you want, I'd suggest a 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 with parallax adjustment (some may call it focus).
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gwion » 14 Aug 2017, 2:20 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:

It comes in 2 versions - a lightweight, which has parallax set for 100 or 150m for centrefire and a rimfire version with parallax set for 50 or 70m.

I have 3 of them and they're perfect - one is on a CZ fullstock 527 in .223 and the others are on CZ 452 fullstocks of different calibres.

For what you want, I'd suggest a 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 with parallax adjustment (some may call it focus).

Sorry. I miss read the post in the middle of the night, unable to sleep with this flu. I thought it said a 'package' advertised and didn't actually take in what the scope was.

Still, I standby my statement that 'packages' generally come with substandard optics.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sakoh » 15 Aug 2017, 1:57 pm

Plinker wrote:Saw a review of Ruger American rifle with vxii 2-7 x28 variable scope - wondering whether this scope could potentially be used on a centerfire at some point in the future

That will be the VX-2 Ultralight which is the rimfire scope.

Parallax (focus) on that is fixed at 60 yards and not adjustable, so won't be any good for your centrefire when you get it.

An easy way to rule out scopes at a glace is see if there is a focus adjustment on the objective lens (the front one) or a 3rd dial.

If a scope only has 2 dials that's one for elevation, and one for windage. You can't adjust the parallax/focus so it will be no good for what you want.

If it has a ring on the front, or a 3rd dial to adjust it, then check it out :thumbsup:
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 15 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm

Gwion wrote:
BRNO_Bigot wrote:

Sorry. I miss read the post in the middle of the night, unable to sleep with this flu. I thought it said a 'package' advertised and didn't actually take in what the scope was.

Still, I standby my statement that 'packages' generally come with substandard optics.

Just to reply to your last point - I agree 100% - I bought a package a few months ago, and suggested that the gunshop keep the scope, since the price was decent even without it. The gunshop guy looked sort of sheepish and said that he still had over 3,000 of these scopes in the back and was trying to get rid of them.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm

Sakoh wrote:
Plinker wrote:Saw a review of Ruger American rifle with vxii 2-7 x28 variable scope - wondering whether this scope could potentially be used on a centerfire at some point in the future

That will be the VX-2 Ultralight which is the rimfire scope.

Parallax (focus) on that is fixed at 60 yards and not adjustable, so won't be any good for your centrefire when you get it.

An easy way to rule out scopes at a glace is see if there is a focus adjustment on the objective lens (the front one) or a 3rd dial.

If a scope only has 2 dials that's one for elevation, and one for windage. You can't adjust the parallax/focus so it will be no good for what you want.

If it has a ring on the front, or a 3rd dial to adjust it, then check it out :thumbsup:

Um, no - ultra light and rimfire are NOT the same -

See here for ultralight
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/rifle ... ht-scopes/

and here for rimfire
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/rifle ... re-scopes/

As you can see - there are 2-7x28 scopes in both - not the same scope.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Aug 2017, 10:43 am

I've just ordered a Nikko Sterling Panamax AO 3-9x50mm with mil dot reticle ($99) for the 22lr Savage. The parallax is adjustable. And Leupold Rifleman 1" high mounts.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

duncan61 wrote:I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres

That should be great for 99% of your hunting and for the other bit, just stalk in closer.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres

The question is, how long will it last and hold zero for? What's the visibility like beyond that 200? What does it look like in failing light or under spot?

Regardless, I wouldn't be happy with a 243 limited to 200.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

Its mainly used for head shooting Kangaroos in the day.Its more than up for the job
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 1:52 pm

And how long has it held zero for so far?
What scope is it?

There are countless stories of 'package' scopes that "do the job" for only so long and then just randomly crap out. And that is the whole point of the statement I made. Yes. Some of them may "do the job" but that is not to say you can't get something better for the same cost or a little more. These packages are GENERALLY put together to sell more rigs at a higher profit margin.

That said, I have seen a few rigs advertised as 'packages' that are obviously good quality but the price corresponds!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

I am with you on this.The.222 Ruger I bought new had a silver scope of some sort and it was crap.I fitted a $96 Nighteater and never had a problem again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

duncan61 wrote:I am with you on this.The.222 Ruger I bought new had a silver scope of some sort and it was crap.I fitted a $96 Nighteater and never had a problem again

Love it! I'm fitting a more expensive scope on my 22, by $2.00.. :lol: :lol:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Plinker » 29 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Looking at Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 bdc to go on a the new savage b22 FVSR
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

[quote="BRNO_Bigot"]
and here for rimfire
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/rifle ... opes/quote]

I got one of these in matte, for my CZ 455 and do not recommend it. Parallax is present when bench shooting at 50 yards. Most unexpected.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Sep 2017, 8:23 pm

Yes, well they are set at 60, which is fair average for most uses.

If you really want a bench shooting scope, something else is really desired.

Not being a willy here, but horses for courses.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Stix » 16 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its mainly used for head shooting Kangaroos in the day.Its more than up for the job

As your .222 should be...with less noise...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Yes, well they are set at 60, which is fair average for most uses.

If you really want a bench shooting scope, something else is really desired.

Not being a willy here, but horses for courses.

Maybe should have got a fixed four?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics