Scope for 22LR

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

duncan61 wrote:I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres

That should be great for 99% of your hunting and for the other bit, just stalk in closer.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:I bought a new Howa in .243 that came with a scope for $700 and it shoots fine out to 200 metres

The question is, how long will it last and hold zero for? What's the visibility like beyond that 200? What does it look like in failing light or under spot?

Regardless, I wouldn't be happy with a 243 limited to 200.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

Its mainly used for head shooting Kangaroos in the day.Its more than up for the job
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 1:52 pm

And how long has it held zero for so far?
What scope is it?

There are countless stories of 'package' scopes that "do the job" for only so long and then just randomly crap out. And that is the whole point of the statement I made. Yes. Some of them may "do the job" but that is not to say you can't get something better for the same cost or a little more. These packages are GENERALLY put together to sell more rigs at a higher profit margin.

That said, I have seen a few rigs advertised as 'packages' that are obviously good quality but the price corresponds!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

I am with you on this.The.222 Ruger I bought new had a silver scope of some sort and it was crap.I fitted a $96 Nighteater and never had a problem again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

duncan61 wrote:I am with you on this.The.222 Ruger I bought new had a silver scope of some sort and it was crap.I fitted a $96 Nighteater and never had a problem again

Love it! I'm fitting a more expensive scope on my 22, by $2.00.. :lol: :lol:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Plinker » 29 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Looking at Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 bdc to go on a the new savage b22 FVSR
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

[quote="BRNO_Bigot"]
and here for rimfire
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/rifle ... opes/quote]

I got one of these in matte, for my CZ 455 and do not recommend it. Parallax is present when bench shooting at 50 yards. Most unexpected.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Sep 2017, 8:23 pm

Yes, well they are set at 60, which is fair average for most uses.

If you really want a bench shooting scope, something else is really desired.

Not being a willy here, but horses for courses.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Stix » 16 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its mainly used for head shooting Kangaroos in the day.Its more than up for the job

As your .222 should be...with less noise...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Yes, well they are set at 60, which is fair average for most uses.

Maybe should have got a fixed four?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2017, 1:18 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I've just ordered a Nikko Sterling Panamax AO 3-9x50mm with mil dot reticle ($99) for the 22lr Savage. The parallax is adjustable. And Leupold Rifleman 1" high mounts.

Hope you have better luck that I had years ago with a Nikko sterling 3-9 x 40. Never retained zero.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

Yep, "OLD BLOKE" so far so good but time will tell. Still working on the Parallax thing but in the field just might set it on infinity and leave it...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 18 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
BRNO_Bigot wrote:Yes, well they are set at 60, which is fair average for most uses.

Maybe should have got a fixed four?

I used to have a fixed 4 on my .22 for many years and it was pretty good, since I'd never heard of parallax (as pertaining to scopes).

Then I got one of those little Leupolds and I'm pretty sold on them for .22, where most shots are less than 100 m.

Of course, YMMV.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Plinker » 29 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

AusC wrote:I should add, once you've looked at a few scopes and have a few options post the models here if there's any doubt and someone can confirm for you :thumbsup:

I'm pretty much set on the Nikon p rimfire 2-7x32 BDC - looking to pick it up next week :)
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 30 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

sungazer wrote:Change your mind. Its not enough magnification. You will be disappointed and buying another scope within months. There are a lot of comments on here that dont recommended enough magnification. For example Duncan and his 25*52 for shooting at 1000yrds I don't know anybody that uses such a scope they all use 32 times as a minimum a lot of 42 times some at 50, 60 then the expensive at 80. For the 22 a variable 4-16 about there would be my bet. I use bigger.

For a 22 though? This Nikon is meant to be a 'rimfire' scope
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Sep 2017, 9:26 am

In my opinion it depends on what you want to use it for. I put a 4-12 on my Annie. It's great for hunting. I do a little bit of target, and at 100m I can only just see the holes on a good day. It would be much better to be able to clearly see the holes and correct for shot placement
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Sep 2017, 9:29 am

Plinker wrote:
sungazer wrote:Change your mind. Its not enough magnification. You will be disappointed and buying another scope within months. There are a lot of comments on here that dont recommended enough magnification. For example Duncan and his 25*52 for shooting at 1000yrds I don't know anybody that uses such a scope they all use 32 times as a minimum a lot of 42 times some at 50, 60 then the expensive at 80. For the 22 a variable 4-16 about there would be my bet. I use bigger.

For a 22 though? This Nikon is meant to be a 'rimfire' scope

For target shooting I have seen a lot of enthusiasm for "big" variables with parallax adjustment. See rimfirecentral.com
But for a rimfire hunting scope I would have thought that Nikon would be ok i.e. like my Leupold only a bigger objective
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2017, 10:12 am

I would agree generally, but it probably makes a difference depending on exactly what you're shooting at. But even if you're just shooting rimfire to improve your centrefire shooting I think higher maximum magnification is better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 10:19 am

After a few thousand rounds through my Lithgow with a 12power scope I have some observations.
Spotting hits @ 100 (especially if they are in black VS white or going hole in hole/cloverleaf) is indeed hard and in hindsight I feel something 15 or higher would have been a better choice. Im very happy with the performance of the Bushnell ar223 scope aside from wanting more power.Holds zero no worries, i have it zeroed @ 50m and worked out elevation for 100m and have been back and fore award between these on the turret and its stayed spot on.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics