Bullpup conversations and scopes/eye relief

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bullpup conversations and scopes/eye relief

Post by sneaker » 15 Aug 2017, 4:34 pm

Hi guys,

Educate me on something here.

So place do Bullpup stock conversion kits for Remmington, Tikka and whatever else.

It occurred to me while looking at pictures though, what happens with your scope setup?

I guess most scopes are meant to be used on "normal" size rifles and they have a fair idea of how far the scope will be away from your eye. When you convert to a bullpup you're bringing the action 8" or whatever closer to you.

What happens to your eye relief? On higher magnification scopes it seems like it might not be possible to use when it's that close?

Is that just the compromise of a Bullpup that you're limited to wider angle scopes, or are there Bullpup special scopes?

(Does that all make sense? :lol:)
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Bullpup conversations and scopes/eye relief

Post by Bark » 15 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

That's a good observation mate.

I haven't used a bullpup myself but I was say almost certainly it would prohibit you using some scopes depending on the action you're using.

If you had a piccatinny rail and could secure the mounts themselves forward enough, then mount the scope in the rings forward again, I guess a lot would work.

On something with fixed mounts like the Tikka or Ruger though I'm not sure what you'd have to use.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Aug 2017, 4:52 pm

Bullpup systems mount the scope much further forward. No difference in eye relief to a standard rifle. The scope stays in the same place relative to your eye and cheek weld. The action is moved back, the scope is moved forward.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

sneaker wrote:Hi guys,

Educate me on something here.

So place do Bullpup stock conversion kits for Remmington, Tikka and whatever else.

It occurred to me while looking at pictures though, what happens with your scope setup?

I guess most scopes are meant to be used on "normal" size rifles and they have a fair idea of how far the scope will be away from your eye. When you convert to a bullpup you're bringing the action 8" or whatever closer to you.

What happens to your eye relief? On higher magnification scopes it seems like it might not be possible to use when it's that close?

Is that just the compromise of a Bullpup that you're limited to wider angle scopes, or are there Bullpup special scopes?

(Does that all make sense? :lol:)

On my bullpup chassis I have a full-length tube from buttpad to front sight so I just put a pic rail on the top, bottom and both sides. The scope is no problem at all. This setup accepts all short action Ruger American Rifle/Compact/Ranch actions.
Attachments
270420161354.jpg
270420161354.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 2810 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 15 Aug 2017, 11:48 pm

Bladeracer nailed the explanation perfectly and any BP conversion should have a rail long enough to obtain proper eye relief.

I'm a big fan of the bullpup design because I still get a full length barrel with a shorter overall length. Below is a pic of the "Flinchmaster" and its twin in .375 Cheytac. Not exactly light but still very compact.
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3502.JPG (273.49 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2017, 10:16 am

Yep, I love bullpups. I just don't see any reason a rifle needs to be so long these days.
My Divisional Firearms Office made a surprise storage inspection last week. Think he was a bit surprised when I dragged that one out of the safe :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 19 Aug 2017, 9:36 am

bladeracer wrote:Yep, I love bullpups. I just don't see any reason a rifle needs to be so long these days.

Haven't you seen a Hollywood movie?

They need to keep them long so all us LAFO don't become assassins like the politicians have seen on TV :lol:

That's what bullpups are for right? Especially black ones! :lol:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Redwood » 19 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

I'd love a bullpup if they did a few factory options inline with normal rifle costs.

Like a Ruger, Tikka, Remy, whatever and I could buy one off the shelf without having to buy the rifle first then pay the same or more again for an aftermarket chassis.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm

Redwood wrote:I'd love a bullpup if they did a few factory options inline with normal rifle costs.

Like a Ruger, Tikka, Remy, whatever and I could buy one off the shelf without having to buy the rifle first then pay the same or more again for an aftermarket chassis.

But it's handy having the original stock so you can travel interstate with the rifle. Victoria has better gun laws than some US states.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 23 Aug 2017, 11:54 am

You don't have to sell me on the benefits mate. It's just justifying the cost for me.

If a sack of cash falls in my lap I'll have one :lol:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics