Burris drop tine

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Burris drop tine

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Aug 2017, 4:51 pm

Hi.

I'm contemplating putting a Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 mm on my Tikka t3 Hunter in 25-06. It currently has a zeiss terra 3 in 4-12x50 with the Z8 plex reticle. The Zeiss has fixed parallax correction at 300 yards. The burris is adjustable.

Main purpose of use is hunting in reasonably open woodland with most shots on goats taken at 50-150 m. A little bit of extra magnification is useful for the odd bit of medium range bunny eradication. Rifle is not used for competition target shooting. If I'd realised that the zeiss was fixed parallax at 300 yards I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Anybody had any experience with the burris drop tine? Other recommdations around the $500 mark?

Don't bother starting with the save up and buy something better rants that always start, it's simply not going to happen in the next couple of years, and I want something more versatile on top of the rifle in the next month or so...... I've got kids, a mortgage and too many hobbies.......

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Burris drop tine

Post by albat » 15 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

I just bought a leupold vxr 2-7 x 33 firedot for 710 bucks you can also get 3-9x40 awesome scope for the $ lifetime warranty etc, the firedot is fantastic in low light in the jungle or running shot, would not buy another hunting scope without it, glass is way better than the burris that i looked through another plus is that if you want to sell a leupold down the track it will sell the same day , i know its a tad dearer but well worth it if you can get it past the accountant !!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by discostu » 19 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

Mate, I have a 3-0x40 on my .308 for stalking and love it. The glass is clear and good towards dusk/dawn when you are trying to get the last few minutes of shooting light. I have mine in a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece mount. After 9 months of use the zero is still good and it's been used a lot in thick terrain. For the price I thingk its a good buy.
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 7:37 am

Can you squeeze another $100 into the budget?

Nikon Monarch 3, 3-12x50:
http://www.ozscopes.com.au/nikon-monarc ... oplex.html
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2017, 9:11 am

I bought a Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16x40.
Cost me about $650. Lifetime w'tee.

Its on my 7-08 tikka lite that i use for the exact same purpose you require.

I absolutely love it...!!!

Ive downed goats in the very last glimmers of daylight comfortably at 60 yds on 4x while shooting into the sunset, & a bunch out to 200yds (so far) in daylight without going over 8 power.
The only time it hits 16x is load testing at the range.
The clicks on turrets are clear & unmistakable..!...even when a quick adjustment is needed under pressure (assuming turret caps are off)

Reticle is not too heavy, nor too fine-easy too see in ALL goat hunting light.

Its light enough in weight & im really happy with the balance of the rifle/scope outfit & its quick 'pointability', which is important when a successful stalk from downwind ends up in a flurry of fire on a mob of 15 goats @ 20 yds.

It has great edge to edge sharpness throughout the zoom range, little to no chromatic aberration nothing obvious) & does not suffer from bad flare-although i believe a lens hood doesnt go astray on a hunting rifle.
Optically it craps all over my $1500 Zeiss...!!!

I had this scope on my .222 prior to this rifle & also found it great shooting under spotlight out to atleast 200yds (my farthest kill with it)

Ive not tried a heap of other scopes that directly compete it, but others that i have hunted with have expressed nothing but how good the outfit feels in balance, pointability & quick target aquisition & bright clear optics in the field.

I am in the market for a .243 for goats to save a bit of powder (atleast thats my excuse for the next rifle), & i too am seriously pushed for cash, but if i can get one for the same money, ill get another one without hesitation.

Apart from a mates .270 with a Swarovski 3-18, its the best sub $1000 light weight scope ive personally held to my shoulder.
I call it my poor mans Swarza...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics