25mm rings 1" scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

25mm rings 1" scope

Post by valkyrie » 07 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

Just wondering if its ok to use 25mm rings on a scope with a 1" tube? Any help appreciated
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: 25mm rings 1" scope

Post by Gwion » 08 Sep 2017, 5:42 am

Yes, mate. Don't over think it. The 25mm rings are for 1" tubes. Same same.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by straightshooter » 08 Sep 2017, 8:12 am

To be pedantic 1" = 25.4mm.
As an aside
If you put a 1" (25.4mm) scope tube in 26mm rings problems will arise.
Similarly a 26mm scope tube won't fit in 1" rings.
Avoid rings that say they are 1" and 26mm.
The rings can only be truly compatible with one tube size or the other or neither but not both.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Sep 2017, 8:27 am

Yes, I know what an inch is but no manufacturer marks 25.4mm on their products and for all intents and purposes 25mm & 1" are the same.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cooper » 08 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

But there is such a thing as a 26mm scope and 26mm rings. So a 26mm scope shouldn't be fitted to 25.4mm rings. But yeah generally 1 inch is just 25mm(25.4)
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by valkyrie » 08 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

Cheers for the feedback guys
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 08 Sep 2017, 10:34 pm

straightshooter wrote:To be pedantic 1" = 25.4mm.
As an aside
The rings can only be truly compatible with one tube size or the other or neither but not both.

If you really want to be pedantic- The (international) inch has been exactly 25.4 mm since July 1959. At this point in time the (international) yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre - until this time the ratio between the US yard and the metre was different to the ratio between the UK yard and the metre. For more information, see Engineering Metrology by K J Hume (2 ed) Macdonald London 1967. The American inch changed by 2 millionths of an inch and the UK inch by 1.7 millionths of an inch. The international inch falls mid way between the old UK and US inch. :)
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2017, 7:21 am

Yep. That's pretty pedantic! :lol: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Hugh » 09 Sep 2017, 3:26 pm

I have a Kahles that is 26mm,i use Brownells spacers with 30mm rings,will chase down proper 26mm rings in next years US trip.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

Wombat wrote:
As an aside

If you really want to be pedantic- The (international) inch has been exactly 25.4 mm since July 1959. At this point in time the (international) yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre - until this time the ratio between the US yard and the metre was different to the ratio between the UK yard and the metre. For more information, see Engineering Metrology by K J Hume (2 ed) Macdonald London 1967. The American inch changed by 2 millionths of an inch and the UK inch by 1.7 millionths of an inch. The international inch falls mid way between the old UK and US inch. :)

Wombat mate ya need to spend more time shooting! :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 11 Sep 2017, 10:29 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Wombat wrote:
As an aside

Wombat mate ya need to spend more time shooting! :drinks: :drinks:

Nope - if he knows all that, just think of the precision he can measure his groups to .... :geek:
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wombat » 11 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

Some things you just dont measure, unless you are sure the answer will be impressive.

When I started 25 odd years ago doing the same stuff I am now there was an old Bloke who got very very upset whenever a certain 1'' alloy rod looked like it was going to be used. He was adamant that it was not going to be wasted where another piece could be used instead.Caused him no end of upset as it was the last piece of Imperial inch stock available.So I did research it and pointed out that minor temperature variations would move the size much more than the new standard. Lots of arguments.
He died about 10 years ago.
But today, after moving factories and updating machinery there's still a section of 1" imperial std alloy rod on the rack, marked "Do Not Use - ask John". Still makes me smile whenever I see it.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Sep 2017, 8:18 am

Wombat wrote:Some things you just dont measure, unless you are sure the answer will be impressive.

When I started 25 odd years ago doing the same stuff I am now there was an old Bloke who got very very upset whenever a certain 1'' alloy rod looked like it was going to be used. He was adamant that it was not going to be wasted where another piece could be used instead.Caused him no end of upset as it was the last piece of Imperial inch stock available.So I did research it and pointed out that minor temperature variations would move the size much more than the new standard. Lots of arguments.
He died about 10 years ago.
But today, after moving factories and updating machinery there's still a section of 1" imperial std alloy rod on the rack, marked "Do Not Use - ask John". Still makes me smile whenever I see it.

Haha... That's a great story! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics