stoney point target knobs

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

stoney point target knobs

Post by marksman » 10 Sep 2017, 6:57 pm

wondering if anyone has had anything to do with these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Stoney-Poi ... 5b2ff0a0df
I have bought a pair for the vx1 leupold friction turrets and installed one, have not used it yet
I have noticed that Elmer (sa Feral Shooter) use's them, I think? I have seen them on one of his rifles in his utube vids, I think
anyway I would appreciate any input good or bad about them
thanks
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: stoney point target knobs

Post by Chronos » 10 Sep 2017, 7:41 pm

I fitted a set to a VX-2 years ago for metallic silhouette where I needed to click up and down a lot and was very happy with them, they're now fitted to an older vari-x 3 6.5-20

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 12 Sep 2017, 3:24 pm

thanks for the reply Chronos :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by allan » 15 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

I had a couple of sets fitted to Leupold 3-9X33 EFR's - Worked OK for me. Just looked at your EBAY link - Seem to re-call paying a lot more than that when ordering from the US about 10 years ago!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Cooper » 15 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

Says they don't fit newer style Leupolds without the coin slot adjuster. I think that just doesn't mean the newer vx3i model. But all newer models that have the finger click adjustment style turrets. Haven't actually compared both. So kind of asking the question?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm

yes they are for the friction adjustable coin slot turrets, I have fitted one and will be giving it a try this weekend, they do look like a good thing
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 15 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm

marksman wrote:yes they are for the friction adjustable coin slot turrets, I have fitted one and will be giving it a try this weekend, they do look like a good thing

They fit all coin slot adjustable turrets including later models with audible clicks jut not the later finger adjustable models

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Sep 2017, 9:12 am

They work okay, like Chronos, I have used them for silhouette on Leupold scopes that didn't have target turrets.
The only thing I can add is that they have limited adjustment. I found that they only had enough adjustment for rimfire ( about 10 m.o.a ) not centrefire where I needed about 14.
Only tried them on an old VX111 6.5 -20x and a newer VX11 6-18x. Wound up getting factory target turrets fitted.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 19 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

I don't think I get the whole friction adjustment thing?

They go over your existing turrents? So it just adds better finger grip or what?

"Friction adjustment" is a fancy way of saying this?
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Sep 2017, 3:53 pm

They work on the recessed "coin-slot" ones that are a bitch to shift if you don't have one or a screwdriver. They have a spring loaded plunger that sits in the coin slot and then the outside screws down tight on the cover thread. You then have an easily adjustable turret. They work okay, I just found them too limited in adjustment for my application. Clear and readable markings and ease of use are the redeeming features.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Sep 2017, 7:10 pm

I see what you mean by limited adjustment Gamerancher, I think I loose about half what I had but it is on a 17 ackley so it will be ok, I did find it easier to adjust the turrets
on mine they are a bit sloppy/rattly though
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

Yes, they do limit the range of adjustment. I set the original turret to the shortest distance I needed, in my case 40m for chickens, and then fitted the Stoney Point turret.
I found that I had just enough elevation adjustment with it to reach the 100m rams but that was it. This was with "standard" velocity .22LR , about 1080f/s.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics