Scope dovetail size?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope dovetail size?

Post by yoshie » 30 Sep 2017, 12:45 pm

Hi all, i just wanted some help identifying a scope mount dovetail. I have recently bought a BSA cadet with 2 dovetails for a scope. They measure 14mm at the bottom of the dovetail and 16.6mm across the top. I'm unsure which rings to try, 14mm seems to be an air rifle/rim fire size and 16mm is CZ/BRNO. They might also be BSA Maxi-grip. How do you meaure scope dovetails? I've read different ways. US meaure bottom of the dovetail and Europe measure across the top???
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Scope dovetail size?

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2017, 11:59 pm

G'day yoshie,
What you've read is just what it is. Have both measurements available and when you look at bases or rings consider whether they are American or European and buy accordingly. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 3:18 am

yoshie wrote:Hi all, i just wanted some help identifying a scope mount dovetail. I have recently bought a BSA cadet with 2 dovetails for a scope. They measure 14mm at the bottom of the dovetail and 16.6mm across the top. I'm unsure which rings to try, 14mm seems to be an air rifle/rim fire size and 16mm is CZ/BRNO. They might also be BSA Maxi-grip. How do you meaure scope dovetails? I've read different ways. US meaure bottom of the dovetail and Europe measure across the top???

What is a BSA Cadet?
I Googled it and got air rifles as well as Martini rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 3:24 am

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 01 Oct 2017, 7:33 am

Its a Martini cadet in 222R. I suspect someone had a spare set of mounts machined to fit the barrel profile. I'm just trying to work out which mounts they used as the measurements don't seem to match up exactly. I'm probably going to have to take it in to my local gun shop and try a few. I think it'll be CZ/Brno 16mm but they are over $100 a set so i don't want to buy the wrong set.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Scopes, sights and optics