Hillver Mounts ?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Hillver Mounts ?

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Oct 2017, 12:31 am

What are Hillver mounts/rings like ?

? Quality, Fit, etc.

For use on .308

Opinions please.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Hillver Mounts ?

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2017, 7:23 am

Excellent IMO got a few sets on diff rifles and never been touched in over 30yr (bridge mounts). I've also got DNZ bridge mounts which seem to be good too - happy with both types.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2017, 7:24 am

I think Lynx own hiillver now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by straightshooter » 02 Oct 2017, 8:36 am

The Hillver stud mount system that came out in the late 80's is probably the most robust scope mounting system ever made especially compared to the common 'turn in' type originally made by Redfield and still copied by many other makers.
This is most apparent when you have plenty of recoil and a relatively heavy scope.
Let's face it. These days 50mm variables are the go. Compare them for weight to the 28 or 32 mm fixed power scopes that were most common years ago.
The problem with the 'turn in' type mounts is that virtually all the recoil force must be taken by the front ring assembly. If any substantial recoil is applied to the windage adjustment screws one or both tapered caps will break. As, of necessity, most of the recoil must be absorbed by the front ring assembly it causes the rather petite dovetail stud to peen loose so you get a bonus of a wandering zero.
Now having said all that, if you only shoot half a box of ammo a year your 'turn in' mount, even if it isn't particularly well made, will probably last a lifetime.
More than likely somebody will post that their 'turn in' mount has never had a problem but I have seen enough failures to be a sceptic.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Oct 2017, 9:08 am

I the olden days, Hillver used slot head screws which deformed if the driver was not ground to size. This was a problem for those of us who did not own a bench grinder and we bought the Leupold product with its socket head screws. SHSs, in the thread pitch of the olden days might be hard to come by, now :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 05 Oct 2017, 4:17 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I the olden days, Hillver used slot head screws which deformed if the driver was not ground to size. This was a problem for those of us who did not own a bench grinder and we bought the Leupold product with its socket head screws. SHSs, in the thread pitch of the olden days might be hard to come by, now :unknown:

Somewhere in the mid 80's Hillver was bought by Tetra Industries and that coincided with the improved designs of mounts and the use of allen head screws.
Prior to that Hillver made copies of Redfield mounts as Leupold and Burris to name just two still do. As I recall the screws were 4BA. BA threads were very common in Australia until we adopted the metric system whereupon they slowly died out. It is now very difficult to find BA screws over the counter. If you really need some try UK ebay.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

very good quality IMO made to last and good for thumpers
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

Thanks Guys.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 21 Jan 2018, 10:45 am

To me, they are the pick of the mounts.....strong tough and reliable....I have my Rem 700 308 and 3 of my Mdl 2 Brno 22 all fitted up with Hillver bridge mounts....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics