Heaps of questions

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Heaps of questions

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Oct 2017, 11:08 pm

Life aint simple anymore,,, so many choices,,,,, maybe too many damm choices.

Scope mounts,, High, Medium, Low,
So what is high medium or low ?
Is there a set measurement for each ?

Or does it vary from one brand name to the next ?

How does one work out what size to get in advance ?

Do you get a scope first,,,,,, and then buy the mounts ?
or
Do you buy mounts and then get a scope ?

Can anyone recommend a height mount for eg: 3-9 x 42 Leupold on a Sako 75
or
a 3-12 x 50 on the same rifle.

So what is the determining factor,, The rifle ? The scope ? or the mount ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Heaps of questions

Post by GLS_1956 » 04 Oct 2017, 12:45 am

Get the rifle and then the scope. Those two items determine the mounts you get. You get a bull barreled rifle and then go and get a 30mm diameter scope body with a 75mm objective lenses/bell you are going to have to get high rings so that you can mount the scope on the gun and clear the barrel.

Just as if you get a rig that has a light weight sporter barrel and you want to mount a scope that has a one-inch tube and either no objective bell or a small one. On that gun you will get away with a low set of mounts and rings.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Oct 2017, 3:34 am

G'day Die Judicii,
As GLS said, rifle and scope will determine ringset. As a VERY broad guide, assuming 1" scope body, an objective of 38mm and under can use a low ring, 40 to 48 a medium, and 50mm + a high ring. Whilst not ever brand is the same measurement, the majority of manufacturers work on the guidelines above. As an example, I just fitted a 6x scope with 42mm objective to a Ruger 77 VT, which required a Ruger 5B, medium, for the front and a Ruger 6B, high, for the back due to the receiver being different heights front and back. whereas an Omark would have needed 2 mediums. Choice of ring system will also play a part, for your 3-9x42 Leupold on a Sako 75 using their Optiloks, you would be OK using Extra Low due to the 2 piece design, but if you went for i piece rings like Talley, you would need mediums, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Oct 2017, 10:16 am

If you put lens covers on, they could foul the bolt travel and/or the barrel.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SomeoneElse » 04 Oct 2017, 10:44 pm

My approach was to initially buy some cheap $7 eBay "high" rings. Once the scope was mounted on the rail with those I measured the clearance at the bell with the cover on, and also got a feel for bolt handle clearance. I can then subtract the bell clearance from the height of the $7 rings to determine the absolute lowest rings I can use, then added a few mm back to ensure the bell/cover never contacts the barrel. Knowing this minimum height, I then bought some quality rings which were spot on. The $7 rings saved me buying some $80+ rings of the wrong height.

Someone Else
SomeoneElse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 10:59 pm

My experience from being stuffed around 4 times getting the correct hright rings...

If you cant get any sense from your lgs...
Buy the scope you want...
Ring Keith at NIOA Trading with its dimensions & rifle details & he will assist with accurate height scope mounts & part numbers to order from your preferred dealer anywhere in the countty.
If they turn out to be wrong he is (has been for me) happy to change them over through the dealer with no arguments...

It helps if you can position the scope accurately enough to get clearance measurements first, as in 'someone else's' approach.
Either way Keith is a solid approach.

With his service & willingness to help he should be paid more...& i dont know him from a bar of soap...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Oct 2017, 11:23 pm

Stix wrote:My experience from being stuffed around 4 times getting the correct hright rings...

If you cant get any sense from your lgs...
Buy the scope you want...
Ring Keith at NIOA Trading with its dimensions & rifle details & he will assist with accurate height scope mounts & part numbers to order from your preferred dealer anywhere in the countty.
If they turn out to be wrong he is (has been for me) happy to change them over through the dealer with no arguments...

It helps if you can position the scope accurately enough to get clearance measurements first, as in 'someone else's' approach.
Either way Keith is a solid approach.

With his service & willingness to help he should be paid more...& i dont know him from a bar of soap...

Now that's a good rap !
:thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Oct 2017, 7:04 am

My advice is when buying mounts is to take the rifle and scope to the gunshop and set it up there, that way you get the right height first time instead of getting something that doesn't suit you head/shooting style.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Oct 2017, 7:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:My advice is when buying mounts is to take the rifle and scope to the gunshop and set it up there, that way you get the right height first time instead of getting something that doesn't suit you head/shooting style.

Good advice,,,,,,,,,,,,, from all,
Thanks

Taking the scope and the rifles to town this week.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

It can be difficult but I narrow it down to my favorite mount which is leupold prw as I always choose a scope before I buy mounts.

I then determine the height by sitting the scope in its place with the front touching the barrel and measuring the gap between the tube and the mounting surface add to that half the diameter of the tube.
then choose the next tallest mount with a height above that which I have calculated.... which will be either High, Medium or Low ... rough enough for out bush.
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.36 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics