Laser bore sighter recommendations

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Laser bore sighter recommendations

Post by Mononoke » 05 Oct 2017, 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I'll be picking up my Howa 1500 in .308 with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 very soon, and just wondering if anyone can recommend a laser bore sighter to start getting it sighted in.

As I'm a newbie I figured a laser sighter would make things a bit easier for me. :)

Thanks!
Mononoke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Laser bore sighter recommendations

Post by sungazer » 05 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

Really not needed. You can get very good results using your eye.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Oct 2017, 5:51 pm

Don't waste your money. Buy a box of ammo, get the shop to bore sight it or do it yourself using your eye and start on paper at 25m.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Mononoke » 05 Oct 2017, 7:41 pm

Thanks guys, I'll trust my eye and save some $$. :)
Mononoke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 8:04 pm

just so you understand how to do it
pull out your bolt, put your rifle into a steady rest, bags ect,
have a target set up at 25 yards, look through your bore and line the bore up with your target in the centre of the bore and target,
adjust your scope so that the bore is in line with the target and the scope crosshair is in line with your target, shoot the target and adjust your scope till you hit bull, take your target out to where you want it to be set at eg... 100 yards for a centerfire
remember at 25 yards your clicks will be 3 x the value of what your scopes click value is eg: 1/4 moa turrets are 4 clicks to the inch at 100 yards (not metres)
at 25 yards it will be 12 clicks for moa or 1" of movement
at 50 yards your click value will be double (8 clicks for an inch movement) and at 200 yards the click value will be half (2 clicks for an inch movement)
hope you can understand this and good luck with it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 05 Oct 2017, 11:59 pm

when i was younger i traveled to other states to hunt a lot i would take a bore sight and check my scope before i went out .
But to sight it in i would like the guys here said.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Oct 2017, 6:44 am

Easy ro do , don't waste your cash .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 10 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

honestly as others have said don't bother with a laser bore sighter, you can get a rifle on paper relatively easily with your eye and then nothing can get a rifle properly sighted in but shooting the thing
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2017, 7:14 pm

if you really want one just make sure it is one that attaches with a magnet
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

wrenchman wrote:when i was younger i traveled to other states to hunt a lot i would take a bore sight and check my scope before i went out .
But to sight it in i would like the guys here said.

I have a laser that I can mount on a pic rail. Zeroing it to the scope beforehand I can pull it out of the pack, put it on and check if the scope is still zeroed to it. Pretty handy little toy.

I have a bunch of the "cartridge" lasers for many calibers but I've still never remembered to try one in any of my rifles :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics