Simple to prevent ring marks.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Simple to prevent ring marks.

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2017, 10:13 pm

Hi all,
Mounted the scope on my Sako tonite,, and it made me think whether other people do the same as me to prevent ring marks.
I have done the following for years, and it works well, and I've never had ring marks on my scopes.
I sometimes swap scopes around, and the solution is simple.

I use the yellow (gas) thread tape.

Just be careful where you start and finish,, cut with scissors rather than just pulling till it separates,, and preferably only one to two wraps.
It squashes out well, and never seems to affect sighting in,, but is enough to prevent ring marks on your scopes.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Simple to prevent ring marks.

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 9:52 am

Crikey DJ I've had a couple of ring marks :) :oops:
bent over to pick up a dog I had shot and it flew at my face it was hit bad but laying doggo although after the incident
it quickly died but the fright left ring marks in my jocks '' my ring '' :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 11 Oct 2017, 11:31 am

grandadbushy wrote:Crikey DJ I've had a couple of ring marks :) :oops:
bent over to pick up a dog I had shot and it flew at my face it was hit bad but laying doggo although after the incident
it quickly died but the fright left ring marks in my jocks '' my ring '' :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have in the past used tape on the inside of the rings that worked for protecting the scope from ring marks as well as no slip in big kickers :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

Marksman you saying I should try tape in my jocks incase I get another fright like the last 8-)
Would that be sticky side up or down :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 11 Oct 2017, 3:20 pm

Thats a beaut simple idea mate
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Oct 2017, 4:58 pm

Good one, I'd never have thought of using gas thread tape.

I might try that next time.

Cheers Die Judicii
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Oct 2017, 12:11 am

grandadbushy wrote:Marksman you saying I should try tape in my jocks incase I get another fright like the last 8-)
Would that be sticky side up or down :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yeah,,,,,, I think he meant for you to use Double Sided Contact, but your eyes might go like this :wtf: if you fart after applying it,, but at least you won't have ring marks. :thumbsup:
:lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Oct 2017, 12:19 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Good one, I'd never have thought of using gas thread tape.

I might try that next time.

No worries,,,, it also prevents slippage if your using a decent sized shoulder thumper.

I find that the width of the tape is generally a bit narrower than the rings, so if you apply it carefully, once the rings are tightened down,
you can't even see the tape.

You could also use the pink stuff I guess, but I just stick to the yellow.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 12 Oct 2017, 7:32 am

grandadbushy wrote:Marksman you saying I should try tape in my jocks incase I get another fright like the last 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 12 Oct 2017, 10:22 am

Mind that I am not criticizing something that appears to work but it seems a little strange to me that somebody would be using teflon tape, something whose normal function is to reduce friction.
The purpose of the various teflon tapes is for use on tapered gas and water fittings such as BSP and NPT. They allow a tapered fitting to be torqued up so there is a gas tight seal due to the interference of the tapered thread without reliance on a sealing agent. That the tape itself provides any sealing properties is incidental to it's use as a lubricant to allow the joint to be fully tightened.
In my opinion if you want to avoid ring marks use good quality rings.
As rings go the greatest abomination are the old style Weaver rings with the sheet metal upper. A somewhat distant second are all the rings that seem to be in fashion these days with the fastening at 7 and 5 o'clock. Even the German made ones leave a lot to be desired. Their fundamental problem is that the design is incapable of applying uniform contact pressure over the circumference of the tube, but they do look hi-tech.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Oct 2017, 5:38 pm

straightshooter wrote:Mind that I am not criticizing something that appears to work but it seems a little strange to me that somebody would be using teflon tape, something whose normal function is to reduce friction.

Say what you will, but it does have the desired effect as in "no ring marks"
and,,,,,,,,,,,
I used the yellow gas tape on the scope of my .375 mag, and it has never slipped or needed re zeroing in the last 6 years of shooting the beastie.

Did the same on a Leupy the other night that prompted this thread.

I had assembled everything using a good quality as new tension wrench, using only enough tension I thought to hold everything while I shouldered it to check.
The center post was slightly off vertical, so I went to twist it enough to get it vertical,,,,, but it wouldn't move.

Surprised, I checked and found that the screws were only done up to 7 in/lbs
Once I'm happy with the positioning of scopes I usually set them in place at 18 - 20 in/lbs
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

Old school method shown to me in the early 80's by a respected Sydney gunsmith was to use sticky tape. Stick to the insides of the rings, trim with a sharp blade and fit in the usual way. The logic was that it acted as a type of gasket to prevent scope slippage with the added benefit of protecting the scope tube from marks. These days I don't worry as I lap all rings and essentially never remove them from the scope once fitted.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics