How important is parallax adjustment scope feature

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

How important is parallax adjustment scope feature

Post by remnt » 19 Dec 2013, 8:48 am

Hi,

Doing a bit of scope research and have got onto the subject of parallax error.

I know some of the higher end scopes offer parallax adjustments, but it seems a lot of scopes don't either...

Makes me wonder how critical of a feature it is is half the scopes don't have it? :?

I read some rimfire scopes have it set for 50m, scopes meant for centrefire rifles have it set for 100.

I dunno, what's the difference and impact of not adjusting for it I guess?
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: How important is parallax adjustment scope feature

Post by Broom » 19 Dec 2013, 10:06 am

remnt wrote:I read some rimfire scopes have it set for 50m, scopes meant for centrefire rifles have it set for 100.

I dunno, what's the difference and impact of not adjusting for it I guess?

A lot, or nothing, it depends.

Like you said, some rimfire scopes have it set for 50m. If you're shooting a dedicated bench 22LR and always shoot at 50m it obviously isn't a concern at all.

If you've got a deer hunting rifle set at 100m, taking a chest shot at a deer at 200m isn't going to be a problem as your target is bit enough that a little change in POI or accuracy won't matter and you'll still hit your target.

The further you shoot, and the more accuracy required though the more important parallax is.

Depends entirely on the situation.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wheelbarrow » 19 Dec 2013, 2:18 pm

Broom wrote:The further you shoot, and the more accuracy required though the more important parallax is.

Yep, this.

If you're set at 100m and aiming at a target 110m away it's not going to be a huge difference.

As the distance increases though the error becomes more pronounced .
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 20 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm

If you've got a scope with parallax adjustment at the moment, set it to 50m and focus on something on 50m.

If you move your eye left and right through the scope a little the reticle should pretty much stay bang on target.

Then keep the parallax set for 50m and focus on something 150m away. When you move your eye side to side you'll see the reticle seems to move left and right of the target with you.

That's a bit rough, but it will give you an idea.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by remnt » 27 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

It does VICHunter, thanks.

I do my shooting over a couple of hundred metres range so it's worth having.

Thanks again.
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 27 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm

AO of side focus adjustable parallax has nothing to do with high end or entry level scopes, it has to do with the purpose the scope serves

Fixed parallax scopes are generally fine for most hunting situations where pin point accuracy is not if concern

Adjustable parallax comes into its own when long range varminting or target shooting and trying to put every bullet in the same hole at multiple ranges

A parallax error of that may mean nothing at 100m on a pig could mean a miss by 5" at 500m in an f class match

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 27 Jan 2014, 12:47 pm

Chronos wrote:A parallax error of that may mean nothing at 100m on a pig could mean a miss by 5" at 500m in an f class match

Yep, distance is the key.

At 100m hunting you can just about get away with anything. An inch or two off off bullseye and you're still going to hit whatever you're aiming at.

Shooting for groups at distance though, every little bit helps.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics