A scope for my 308

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: A scope for my 308

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

I recommend you buy the best scope that you can afford :drinks:

saying that for what you have described I would recommend the 4-12x50 vx2 leupold
leupold because it has a full lifetime warranty
and 4-12x50 because its all you will ever need for the type of hunting and longrange shooting you are talking about :thumbsup:

I have used one at little river (back when I thought the ssaa were for the shooter) at 500 regularly on my 300wm shooting 3 inches and under on paper
not shooting that ridiculous big round steel lid they have there that people think is a considerable effort to hit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
anyway the 4-12x50 leupold scope is plenty but as I said get the best you can :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by winton » 28 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

juststarting wrote:Deer hunting scope (moved down) - 1.5 - 7
223 shooting s**t scope - 3 - 12
22 scope - 1.5 - 5
Blasting s**t 45-70 scope - no magnification red dot
Target scope - 5-16[

Agree with the other recommendations @juststarting but I would prefer some magnification on a 45/70 just in case. maybe a 1-4.

but why 1.5 for a 22?
Last edited by winton on 28 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 11:24 am

To the OP. I think your choice of scope is fine. Yoy want the low mag for in close hunting. These scopes with 6x min are quite limiting when game pops out at 5-15m and all you can see is blurry fur (yes, it does happen!).

On the othe end of the shooting range, i have little trouble holding bull at 600yds with my 17.5x max magnification.

One tip when hunting, pick a lower mag to set you scope and just leave it there. You don't need to count it's whiskers to be able to shoot it in the brain and you will save valuable time adjusting the scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Zarrs » 29 Dec 2017, 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the help I ended up getting a Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 Riflescopes for $469 down from $650 some places had them for as much as $800. I've got the 3-9 on my .22. And I think its decent but I don't know how they compare to other scopes so I just went for it.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics