A scope for my 308

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

A scope for my 308

Post by Zarrs » 22 Dec 2017, 4:07 pm

Hello I read the thread in this forum on scopes but I still really dont know what I am looking for. I would like a scope that I can go deer/boar hunting with but also have some fun at the range with out to 500 meters or so.

I have come across this Bushnell’s Trophy Xtreme 2.5-15X 50 will this meet my needs http://www.ozscopes.com.au/bushnell-tro ... scope.html
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: A scope for my 308

Post by juststarting » 22 Dec 2017, 5:17 pm

It depends what you mean by out to 500.

Will this scope fit your purpose, yes it will.
Will you be able to give a roo sitting on the rocks at 500m gong (I'm guessing you're talking Lt River) a dental exam, no.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2017, 6:30 pm

I have purchased a Bushnell 3500 4-12x40 for my .308
I haven’t actually fired it yet so I’m probably not much help however I went with Bushnell as it appeared to be a nice clear scope with a good reputation for a reasonable price. Yes there are a lot more expensive ones out there but I figured it will do the job quite satisfactorily.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 22 Dec 2017, 6:46 pm

2.5 will be excellent for hunting. 3 is kind of the norm. Above that, I think its counterintuitive, but not as easy at close distance.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

For pigs, the longest shot I ever did was 100 yards and my scope was a 1.5 to 5X. Used it a lot on 1.5X. You could be looking for an "all round" scope; one that is suited to every application. Never shot a roo further than 300 yards and that was with another scope on 9X and a different rifle, Many years ago. With your choice of scope, I don't think you will be limited much, up close. You have a good calibre for pigs. Go for it mate.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2017, 8:14 pm

Yep, should be OK. I have a 3-9x40 on all my centerfires and 2-7 on the 22lr.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 22 Dec 2017, 9:56 pm

Learn to shoot with both eyes open and no matter what magnification you use, it will not be an issue at any distance, if you're happy with that scope go for it :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

When you say for a bit of range work or target work you need to think what you really want to achieve or be involved in. The Centre circle at 500 yrds is 50mm in diameter. It is nice to be able to resolve withing that 50mm and not have your reticle block out the center or more.

As someone else said go and have a look at any competition that you wish to shoot and see what is being used as he said he bought the wrong sight for the job and I am another one that wish they had not rushed in and bought what I thought would be the right scope only to find I could have got better and the correct scope for cheaper.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 23 Dec 2017, 11:43 am

I use my 308 mostly for hunting/culling but enjoy a bit of target shooting with it. I have a Leupold 4-12×40 on it and i bloody love it. Iv shot targets out to 400 with it and yeah the reticle is able to fully cover the 50mm box i was aiming for but i can't say it bothered me or held me back. On aminals i find that size is perfect for me, so i have the same scope on my 223 and 300wm.

I think for what your wanting to use it for, that scope will be awesome.

don't be to influenced by other peoples opinions when it comes to scopes, everyone likes different scope brands and different magnifications but noone is able to tell you what youll like looking through best.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Dec 2017, 4:51 pm

I have that scope mate & i think its pretty heavy for a walk about scope...& if you put it on a light modern rifle such as a Tikka lite i think it makes it a top heavy unbalanced outfit.

Also whilst its ok optically, its not the best...there are netter scopes for not much more money.

Im a fan of Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16x40...much lighter, even though its a 40mm obj its better than the one you've chosen in low light such as dusk/dawn...
Better detail in shadows during the day etc. All for not much more money atm.
& notably lighter on a rifle...!!!

Just my opinion...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 23 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

I would have thought that 4 as starting magnification would make it pretty hard for moving target acquisition at distances of up to 50m. Especially around 20m to 30m mark, common in Vic high country.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 Dec 2017, 5:55 pm

Yep buy more guns or more scopes. Oh wait you will still need more scopes if you buy more guns.
It does really show that the package can be very specific for a certain activity/sport. Thats why several people have said go and have a look at what you want to do first and see what they are using. Even better talk to them and ask them what they would really like to have.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by juststarting » 23 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

Deer hunting scope (moved down) - 1.5 - 7
223 shooting s**t scope - 3 - 12
22 scope - 1.5 - 5
Blasting s**t 45-70 scope - no magnification red dot
Target scope - 5-16

When you only have a hammer...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

juststarting wrote:I would have thought that 4 as starting magnification would make it pretty hard for moving target acquisition at distances of up to 50m. Especially around 20m to 30m mark, common in Vic high country.

Four-power with both eyes open works pretty well, especially on medium game.
When I started shooting it seemed that all scopes were 4-Power. I got my first variable in 1984, a 4-12x40, and felt ten-feet tall, but it was damned expensive. I got a 3-9x40 later on but they weren't as good as modern variable scopes so most stayed with fixed 4-Powers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

juststarting wrote:Deer hunting scope (moved down) - 1.5 - 7
22 scope - 1.5 - 5
Target scope - 5-16

When you only have a hammer...

I prefer to have identical scopes and reticles on all my hunting rifles, so I have eleven 4.5-18x40's.
I have a few other scopes including fixed 4x's, 6-24x50's, a 3-9x40 and running a 10-40x50 on my brother's Anschutz .22 currently.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 23 Dec 2017, 9:58 pm

My takeaway from all this is that I was still in kinder in '84 lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 24 Dec 2017, 12:20 am

Thanks for the tips! I'm still saving up for one so ill see which direction I go.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Dec 2017, 6:38 am

Hey juststarting, Bladeracer beat me to it...4 power is fine for most stuff under 50m...
You tend to shoot with both eyes open when a super quick shot is in order at very close range...
Admittedly when in built up scrub its harder but if chasing medium game like goats its ok...and if in the open dont have any problems.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

I recommend you buy the best scope that you can afford :drinks:

saying that for what you have described I would recommend the 4-12x50 vx2 leupold
leupold because it has a full lifetime warranty
and 4-12x50 because its all you will ever need for the type of hunting and longrange shooting you are talking about :thumbsup:

I have used one at little river (back when I thought the ssaa were for the shooter) at 500 regularly on my 300wm shooting 3 inches and under on paper
not shooting that ridiculous big round steel lid they have there that people think is a considerable effort to hit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
anyway the 4-12x50 leupold scope is plenty but as I said get the best you can :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by winton » 28 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

juststarting wrote:Deer hunting scope (moved down) - 1.5 - 7
22 scope - 1.5 - 5
Target scope - 5-16[

Agree with the other recommendations @juststarting but I would prefer some magnification on a 45/70 just in case. maybe a 1-4.

but why 1.5 for a 22?
Last edited by winton on 28 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 11:24 am

To the OP. I think your choice of scope is fine. Yoy want the low mag for in close hunting. These scopes with 6x min are quite limiting when game pops out at 5-15m and all you can see is blurry fur (yes, it does happen!).

On the othe end of the shooting range, i have little trouble holding bull at 600yds with my 17.5x max magnification.

One tip when hunting, pick a lower mag to set you scope and just leave it there. You don't need to count it's whiskers to be able to shoot it in the brain and you will save valuable time adjusting the scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Zarrs » 29 Dec 2017, 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the help I ended up getting a Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 Riflescopes for $469 down from $650 some places had them for as much as $800. I've got the 3-9 on my .22. And I think its decent but I don't know how they compare to other scopes so I just went for it.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics