Puttin' it to the people

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Puttin' it to the people

Post by bigrich » 29 Dec 2017, 8:12 am

some of my rifles didn't group well, tried different/new/second hand scopes and had better more consistant grouping straight away. bought a weihrach 22mag second hand with a bushnell trophy scope in almost new condition. it shot very average.point of impact was not that consistant and i checked everything twice. bought and fitted a second hand zeiss scope with some good qaulity air rifle mounts and it shoots bloody awsome now. a important lesson learned :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 29 Dec 2017, 8:23 am

Had a bit to do with people who have gear manufactured in China and discussed this issue a number of times with different people. It seems there are factories over there that make stuff just as good as anywhere else but their Quality Control measures are very hit and miss. If the company contracting them keeps on their back with a QC manager onsite then the end user gets a flawless product as much as one from anywhere else but if the company cheaps out and doesn't keep their own QC measures in place you end up with hit and miss products as mentioned above.
The problem for us end users is we don't know which companies keep close tabs on their QC. That's why brand reputation/awareness and after market service is so important. I steer clear of any brand that just springs up with 'made in china' on it; unless it is so affordable that it's worth the punt.
Such as Olight torches. I was dubious about them when i first saw them advertised but they had some good write ups and were 1/4 the price of other established brand lights of similar spec, so i took a punt. My M3X shat itself after a year due to a loose connection in the bell (i tested their claim that it was 'combat tough' by using it as a Cranial Impact Device on pests that were incapacitated but not quite dead [by the way this is the ethical method suggested in govt literature for culling]; it worked well but the jarring loosened a solder connection: as mentioned elsewhere, i have a tendency to test products to failure). The torch was replaced within two weeks of sending it off. No questions asked and no hassles or costs. Never had an issue with it since and always recommend them to people for effectiveness and affordability. By the way, I no longer use it as a CID, though. So, as for their claim to have combat ready bezels and construction, sure, you could use it as such but it might not work as a torch afterwards..... still, i wouldn't want to get hit by one..... :lol:

Sorry. I got side tracked.
:unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 29 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

ya pretty well summed it up gwion. it's a minefeild for ANY consumer product these days. was reading a post on here about sako qaulity slipping about a week ago
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 29 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm

So the fellas at the shop had a look and ended up swaping it over for another one :) mounted it all up so hoping to get out tomorrow and sight it in
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Dec 2017, 7:21 am

Good stuff, Aus. Hope the next one isn't a dud as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics