Puttin' it to the people

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Puttin' it to the people

Post by AusTac » 22 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

So, for those of you that know me i'm going through my air rifle phase at the moment, went out and bought a new hawke air max scope, taken a few shots to zero at 20m, an air rifle scope should be able to zero at that distance yeah? It's poi is about 5 inchs high and half an inch right and i'm out of adjustment, it was mounted at the local shop by a mate who i trust, on a one peice air rifle specific mount you guys are usually full of awesome suggestions,so any ideas/things to check? I'm going to take it all apart and check but i'm not impressed
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Puttin' it to the people

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

Could the dove tail or screw holes on the action be out of whack?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Dec 2017, 8:28 pm

Ive had a few air rifles with centre fire scopes on them cheapies but not cheap at the time. The Simmons ones made in the Philippines. The had no issues zeroing down to 10 or 20m used the for hooting starlings in the shed,
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by pomemax » 22 Dec 2017, 8:45 pm

can you load a picture where was the shop roughly bet we can figure this out, west Sydney lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 22 Dec 2017, 8:46 pm

can you load a picture where was the shop roughly bet we can figure this out, west Sydney lol sounds like the back of the scope is too low
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 22 Dec 2017, 9:27 pm

Here we go gents, excuse the crappy photo you know what time it is lol going to take it back to the shop tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions, i'm a little sus on the mount but it seems legit from what i can see, i took it all apart and re installed to a torque so i'll put a few through tomorrow and have a look otherwise a shim at the back?
Attachments
rps20171222_222359.jpg
rps20171222_222359.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Strikey » 22 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

Hmmm, 5 inches high at 20metres?? I would try putting that mount on the other way around as I think they are a droop compensating mount which is sometimes needed on a break barrel springer. :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 22 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm

T
! when you take the scope off what way does the arrow point
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 23 Dec 2017, 6:27 am

Points to the muzzle, did think about turning it around but then it would change the recoil soaking mechanism the wrong way might try some traditional rings and see it that changes anything
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 23 Dec 2017, 7:01 am

Have ya tried bringing the scope back to factory zero(using a mirror) and re-sighting? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Dec 2017, 7:46 am

The Hawke scopes are meant to be very good all English spec and quality control.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by AusTac » 23 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

So for anyone interested i went in to the shop, they messed around with it out the back and put some pellets through it, and now all is good, im thinking the poi was high because i was shooting off a wood handrail where i wave it around off hand is where it goes now, i knew springers were hold sensitive but geez!
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm

AusTac wrote:So for anyone interested i went in to the shop, they messed around with it out the back and put some pellets through it, and now all is good, im thinking the poi was high because i was shooting off a wood handrail where i wave it around off hand is where it goes now, i knew springers were hold sensitive but geez!

Yep, mine is sensitive too. You quickly learn to hold the rifle the same way. You can shoot using a rest but need to have something soft between the stock and the supporting surface, and use a consistent position on the stock
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 23 Dec 2017, 1:15 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
AusTac wrote:So for anyone interested i went in to the shop, they messed around with it out the back and put some pellets through it, and now all is good, im thinking the poi was high because i was shooting off a wood handrail where i wave it around off hand is where it goes now, i knew springers were hold sensitive but geez!

Yep, mine is sensitive too. You quickly learn to hold the rifle the same way. You can shoot using a rest but need to have something soft between the stock and the supporting surface, and use a consistent position on the stock

Like a peice of foam? How soft are we talkin'?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 23 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

Rest it on your hand. Just an open palm.
That way no matter where you are you will always have a consistent rest.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 26 Dec 2017, 9:47 am

Scoped f***ed, windage and elevation are locked up well within the 70moa of adjustment :(
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wobble » 27 Dec 2017, 3:16 pm

Daddybang wrote:Have ya tried bringing the scope back to factory zero(using a mirror) and re-sighting? :drinks:

Haven't heard this trick. What's the go?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 27 Dec 2017, 4:16 pm

Wobble wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Have ya tried bringing the scope back to factory zero(using a mirror) and re-sighting? :drinks:

Haven't heard this trick. What's the go?

Hey wobble
With a good light behind ya place a mirror against the objective lens and look thru the scope. Ya should see two sets of cross hairs. Adjust the windage and elevation until ya can only see one set and that's factory zero! :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2017, 4:33 pm

Never heard of that before. I'll remember that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

I know about it but have never done it...

Ive seen a fellow do it (try to) at the range & took him ages, so i just count clicks--I figure its just the same as counting clicks-putting the mechanism back to centre.
To save counting i just have pen in the other hand & put a mark on paper for every 10 clicks...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 27 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm

Yep stix different method same results! :thumbsup: :drinks: I'm an undereducated fqr north qlder that can count to twenty if I'm not wearing boots so I find the mirror easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The trick is to make sure ya got really good light behind ya :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 28 Dec 2017, 6:54 am

Someone whos good at maths does this make sense?

My scope has 70 moa adjustment both windage + elevation so say for windage split it in half left to right which is 35 Moa and then i'm multiplying those 35 minutes into 4 (1/4 moa ) clicks each with is 140 clicks will give me a full 35 minutes of angle which would be be full travel from centre to extreme left or right one way yeah?

And then if i bring it down to 25 yards ( 1 moa is 1/16 of an inch at 25 yards? )

So if i need to move the poi left 1 inch at 25 yards i go 16 clicks, if i divide that 140 clicks into 8 i get 17.5 so that would be close to 8 minutes of adjust at 25 yards?

Where have i gone wrong?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 28 Dec 2017, 8:07 am

If you have 70MOA total
you have 35 MOA half
You Have 140 clicks for half at 100
You have 560 for half at 25
Each MOA is 16 clicks at 25
You have 35 MOA at 25 each MOA is 16 clicks
Last edited by sungazer on 28 Dec 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

"And then if i bring it down to 25 yards ( 1 moa is 1/16 of an inch at 25 yards? ) "

Mmmm, I thought moa was 1/4" at 25 yards.

1" at 25yards is about 16 clicks
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 Dec 2017, 9:30 am

sungazer wrote:If you have 70MOA total
you have 35 MOA half

Thanks sungazer, i've divided when i should have multiplied :thumbsup:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 28 Dec 2017, 11:43 am

No problems when I first saw the post and thought I would help. I tried to do it in my head it was to confusing. I came back to it later and put it on paper or at least typed it out step by step.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 12:31 pm

AusTac wrote:
sungazer wrote:If you have 70MOA total
you have 35 MOA half

Thanks sungazer, i've divided when i should have multiplied :thumbsup:

If you have an adjustment range of 70moa, that is a total range of 280clicks if your clicks are 1/4moa. This is 140 clicks in either direction, or 35moa each way. This does not change at 25, 100 or 1000yd; an MOA is an MOA. What changes is number of clicks per inch at 100 or 25yd. 5" at 20yd is 25"@100yd, making it an adjustment of 100clicks or 25moa. This is the majority of you adjustment potential. Not good news.
Last edited by Gwion on 28 Dec 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm

I'd suggest shimming the scope or changing and the mounts. You could also sight in at your max PBR and learn hold unders at close range.

If your scope is stuck, you may have wound the the scope off its threads by over winding it in one direction, depending on how the scope is constructed.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

When you have to wind a bunch of adjustment just to get your scope "zeroed" you're already in a bad place. You've just lost most of your adjustable range and it's even worse if you've wound on a heap of windage just to "centre" on target. Any windage adjustment used up to zero adversely effects the available vertical range of adjustment. When you've wound it all the way to either side you have no reliable vertical adjustment either. :thumbsdown:
Shooters who put a "set and forget'" scope on say a hunting rifle, sometimes get away with it, but , once you put a scope on that you want / need to actually use the adjustment for different ranges / situations ( that's what they are there for ) you are in a whole heap of hurt.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 28 Dec 2017, 7:50 pm

So a bit or progress this arvo after work

Took the scope off and put another one on, mounted it up in the same mount punching the same hole within 10 pellets
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics