Monocular recommendations

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Monocular recommendations

Post by Lorgar » 28 Dec 2017, 9:01 am

I'm after some recommendations for a monocular. Not sure how the options compare to binoculars, but thinking of keeping the size down with the mono option.

Something smallish, it's going to live in the truck for camping and hunting trips and getting carried around (not a spotting scope).

Doesn't need to have super-high magnification, but must have clarity. 15-20x would be fine, as long as it's clear.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but I'm sure all the cheapie options on ebay are rubbish, I'm looking for something in between.

:friends:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Monocular recommendations

Post by winton » 28 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

Just throwing this into the mix: monos give you less field of view.

Errol Mason in his book recommends a 15x swaro bino as the replacement for a spotting scopes. Its too much money for my budget, but he seems to swear by it.

A $20 monocular on ebay is more likely to head towards land fill.
Last edited by winton on 28 Dec 2017, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 28 Dec 2017, 11:15 am

winton wrote:Just throwing this into the mix: monos give you less field of view.

Wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the tip.

winton wrote:Error Mason in his book recommends a 15x swaro bino as the replacement for a spotting scopes. Its too much money for my budget, but he seems to swear by it.

Assume we're talking about the SLC 15x56 here?

As it happens, my father has a pair of the previous SL in 7x50, they are simply excellent. I've used them to look across the valley where my folks live to the houses on the other side which is ~1150m according to Google Maps, and honestly, you could count the number of fingers someone was holding up on the other side, they're that clear.

Even with only 7x magnification you can make out so much detail at that kind of distance due to the quality/clarity.

He never uses them and I've thought about pinching them :lol: they're just bigger than I'd ideally like.

I've no doubt the 15x are amazing, but yeah, spending $2,300 for a pair of binos is not on the cards for me at all.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by winton » 28 Dec 2017, 2:44 pm

Lorgar wrote:
As it happens, my father has a pair of the previous SL in 7x50, they are simply excellent. I've used them to look across the valley where my folks live to the houses on the other side which is ~1150m according to Google Maps, and honestly, you could count the number of fingers someone was holding up on the other side, they're that clear.

Even with only 7x magnification you can make out so much detail at that kind of distance due to the quality/clarity.

Your description really brings home the effectiveness of these binos. If you can make out fingers at that distance, a 15x would be even more effective.

Are you using the monocular purely to save weight/volume?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 3:22 pm

" 15x would be even more effective. "

Only if you can hold them steady in the field.

IMO 10X is about as strong as you can go in the field.

I would love a 8x40 monocular. .
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Dec 2017, 4:00 pm

Lorgar wrote:Doesn't need to have super-high magnification, but must have clarity. 15-20x would be fine, as long as it's clear.

My rangefinder is only six-power, it's an improvement over eyesight but for spotting I prefer the definition of 10-power binoculars. The rangefinder is smaller though and lives in my pocket so it's handy for a look at something that might be suspect without having to use the binoculars.

My girlfriend only uses one eye (one of her eyes focuses seven times further away than the other making it useless), but she still prefers to carry binoculars so others can use them as well. I bought her a brass telescope a few years ago. It's 25-power, which is great...if you can hold it steady enough :-) It's only the size of a monocular so easy to carry, but you really need to sit against a tree or something to be steady enough.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 29 Dec 2017, 6:46 am

winton wrote:Are you using the monocular purely to save weight/volume?

That's the thinking, yep.

bladeracer wrote:I bought her a brass telescope a few years ago. It's 25-power, which is great...if you can hold it steady enough :-) It's only the size of a monocular so easy to carry, but you really need to sit against a tree or something to be steady enough.

25x would be too much but a little telescope could work... as long it's sturdy and I don't manage to break the telescopic action :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 29 Dec 2017, 9:33 am

just use a scope if that is about the size and magnification you want. either fit it to a pole for correct eye relief or add an extra tube to the end so it can be held to your face depending on size a dunny roll might work.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 29 Dec 2017, 10:08 am

I've been looking at Vortex monoculars. Still can't afford one but tbey look ok on paper.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Dec 2017, 12:20 pm

HI Gwion I have a vortex ranger 1000 range finder its perfect for me I've had clear view out to 950yds and very accurate
I had a cheaper one but it maxed out at 580yds instead of 1000yds
Very happy with the vortex had it for about 3yrs hasn't been babied either and still going
Good battery life also
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 29 Dec 2017, 12:24 pm

Good to know, GDB. I'll get myself one when i have two spare coins to rub together.
Something like a Swaro or Zeiss would be great but just too expensive for me.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2017, 3:37 pm

sungazer wrote:just use a scope if that is about the size and magnification you want. either fit it to a pole for correct eye relief or add an extra tube to the end so it can be held to your face depending on size a dunny roll might work.

Scopes are a lot bigger than monoculars though, plus they have the eye relief problem if they're not mounted on something with a cheek rest.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2017, 3:39 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I bought her a brass telescope a few years ago. It's 25-power, which is great...if you can hold it steady enough :-) It's only the size of a monocular so easy to carry, but you really need to sit against a tree or something to be steady enough.

25x would be too much but a little telescope could work... as long it's sturdy and I don't manage to break the telescopic action :lol:

I haven't used it for a few years but I'll have to find it. It might be possible to get lower magnification by not fully extending it?
It's about 400mm long from memory but only about 140mm when collapsed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jan 2018, 8:01 am

I'll have a look in the next place I pass that does them and have a peak through a collapsed one and see.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

Fwiw...
I have a Zeiss 8x range finder that sits on the dash/passenger seat/waist, that replaced the pair of 10x25 binos that now live in the glove box.
If i really need anything more powerful (which i find is pretty rare) i use a rifle (scope on the rifle-but my hunting scopes are 4-16's).
This combo serves me pretty well & everything fits in glove box/console or sits on the dash/waist when in use.

I dont think id want to muck around with a collapsable monocular flopping around the car--its bad enough with rangefinder, ammo & magazines.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics