Mounting a scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Mounting a scope

Post by Zarrs » 31 Dec 2017, 3:21 am

I've seen several videos on how to do it, half of them are using gunsmith tools and the other half arnt. My question is can I mout it myself with out the tools in the videos or can I just do it like the Aussie review video. Or should I just pay the gunshop in frankston $45 to do it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--eekSkNUW8&t=1474s or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgCAy_WzReY
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Mounting a scope

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Dec 2017, 7:34 am

Well it depends on what you intend doing with the rifle once the scope is set up
If you are going to shoot bench rest competition then I suppose you go the full hog and get someone to do it for you
I've never honed scope rings never had a need to and all my rifles are accurate more accurate than me probably
Next is do you think you can do it there are people on this forum that certainly could guide through it quiet easily
Just get your eye relief right and the tensions right on all screws, and scope level then you are well and truly on your way
Guns and scopes are made to very fine tolerances and rarely do they misalign its mostly human error or wrong parts
So unless you intend shooting competition or way out 1000yds or so I personally would do it myself but that's a personal thing
As far as tools go scopes today tend to have allen head style screws and may need a special type tool normally the rings
come with an allen key to fit these screws
At the end of the day there are many individual ways to scope a rifle you just have to find one that you feel comfortable with
nothing worse than being out hunting and having doubt about your rifle

Good luck mate
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by fxol » 31 Dec 2017, 7:47 am

What scope on what rifle?

You can do it easily. No need to lap the rings, but plenty do. I mount mine trying to apply even pressure on all screws so as to not skew it to one side, even slightly. I then look through the scope at an object and then through the bore to see if they are aligned. The further the better and in my experience, better than the bore sight tools on the end of the barrel. I line the bore up on the object and adjust the turrets so that point of aim is point of impact. In other words, the scope and bore are looking at the same thing. This will get you on paper at 100 and without lots of adjustments.
Last edited by fxol on 31 Dec 2017, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 31 Dec 2017, 8:09 am

fxol wrote:What scope on what rifle?

You can do it easily. No need to lap the rings, but plenty do. I mount mine trying to apply even pressure on all screws so as to not skew it to one side, even slightly. I then look through the scope at an object and then through the bore to see if they are aligned. The further the better and in my experience, better than the bore sight tools on the end of the barrel. I line the bore up on the object ( did one yesterday at 450mts ) and adjust the turrets so that point of aim is point of impact. In other words, the scope and bore are looking at the same thing. This will get you on paper at 100 and without lots of adjustments.

308win with browning rings on a a bolt 3 and ziess terra scope, I might do some more research and give it ago.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by fxol » 31 Dec 2017, 8:16 am

google how to mount browning rings on an a-bolt, then google how to mount a scope.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 31 Dec 2017, 8:52 am

Is there a flat surface on the top of the action and a flat surface on the bottom of the turret enclosure?
If so, you can just use a steel ruler, angled against both these flat surfaces to unsure both are parallel. As for eye relief, i just fit the scope loosely in the rings with screw a couple of threads in, rest my head in a natural hold and move the scope back and forth until i see a small amount of black ring around the edge of the occular. If you move your head side to side, this ring should appear to move. This helps to ensure you are directly behind the scope and avoid paralax error while aiming. If the ring is even all around then you should be aiming true. After setting this, use your ruler to ensure parallel and tighten your rings a bit at a time, rotating around the screws as you would when fitting a car wheel to ensure even tension.
The rule trick only works with rails and actions that have a flat sectionon top.

There is a good youtube vid that walks you through it. I'll see if i can find it if i remember later.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 31 Dec 2017, 9:13 am

It is as easy as the guys above have explained. Another method for getting the scope in the correct plane is to set up a rope preferably white with a brick on it hanging in a distant tree. get you gun set up as far away as you can see that rope in the scope put your bubble level on the flat part of your rifle then pace the scope in the bottom, half of the rings and set it so the vertical line is parallel to the rope or right on it. The rifle has to be dead steady and you need to go back and forth a few times. Just another way of doing the same thing.

This is also a good way even if you do the above using a ruler to set up a bubble level on the scope. Very useful if you are taking long shots read 400yrd + when the drop starts to get big.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 31 Dec 2017, 10:20 am

Hey Zarrs...
Before i had a gun vise i found it hard to set up a scope correctly using methods that required the action to be kept level whilst tensioning up ring screws...the rifle would always move somewhat, even if it was duct taped down & using a level can be way too fiddly unless you're an octopus...!

So another way i do it, which will make some people here cringe...is...
I use my senses/"eye"--& you can to...!
Rely on your eye for level--you will be amazed how accurate you will become once you become aware...

Its best done outside--preferably in a rural setting with open fields & clear horizon...maybe at the range etc...

*set the eye relief as gwion has said...
*Sit the rifle in the rest you are using on a flat level surface...!!!!!
*stand directly behind it & "see/observe" that it (the barreled action) appears to be vertical (not leaning over to one side). You'll get a better feel for this if you lean it over from side to side making it obvious when it is out of level. Refine those movements smaller & smaller until you think its level.
*now sit behind the rifle & rotate the scope until it (horizontal cross hair) "looks level" with the open field--even if the horizon & land has a fall one way or another, your brain knows what is level so go with your brain-it has an amazing sense of what is "level"-its what stops you falling over. ..!
*next step to check the above, ensure you are positioned such that you are looking directly central through the scope as gwion has described above with seeing black ring--now sight the vertical cross hair & follow its imaginary path down through the centre of the action (best done with bolt removed).

*now stand back & walk around for a minute, then go back to it & check it.
*Tighten the screws (i believe its best to have someone tighten them for you whilst you hold everything & watch through the scope to ensure no movement).
You'll be amazed how good you can get it...especially over time if you make yourself aware of your senses every time you look through a scope, instead of just looking at the target with the reticle in the forground...!!!

I can get my scopes set up more level in 5 mins using this method, than some of these self confessed "long range experts" can with all the bells n whistles--(then again they class one hit out of 20 shots on a gong at 1000 yds to be "expert"--& they do shoot roos in the chest at 80 yds with 300wm).

There is not much point using this method in a typical suburban back yard.

If you are resricted to built up back yard & cant use the rope method described by sungazer...setting vertical cross hair on corner of a building can get you pretty close...as long as action is set level.

Sorry this was so long...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 31 Dec 2017, 11:08 am

Like stix I do mine by eye. Instead of ropes and the sides of buildings I blue tac a piece of fishing line with a sinker on it to the top turret. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 31 Dec 2017, 12:34 pm

You can do it at home... Just make sure it's all aligned and leveled. However, I was going to say - give Clayton a call and they will probably do it free. Have been for me on a few occasions, but I do go there a bit.

Either way, you don't need to lap, all videos will tell you, but that's marketing. Just make sure not to overtighten it and if you are using bases rather than rail, don't torque it with a score!

Attach everything so it's moving and wobbly, shoulder the gun, make sure it's adjusted and tighten. The end.

N.b.
When you tighten the rings, the scope will move, so make sure to compensate for it or use small piece of double sided tape to reduce shifting.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 31 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

Ok you know about Youtube, have a go and you will probably learn a new skill and save some money "Maybe"
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 31 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm

From experience this weekend... MOUNT YOUR OWN SCOPE, some guys in the shops are absoloute butchers!

Then you also know how its mounted and that its done right, hardest part will be getting the reticle straight i usually do it by eye but i'm not shooting 1km eaither where a few degrees will really make a difference
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 31 Dec 2017, 2:02 pm

Then, once its mounted, there's bore sighting....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2017, 2:49 pm

Stix wrote:So another way i do it, which will make some people here cringe...is...
I use my senses/"eye"--& you can to...!
Rely on your eye for level--you will be amazed how accurate you will become once you become aware...

Yep, that's all I generally do and I'm always swapping scopes around.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Dec 2017, 3:15 pm

Give yourself plenty of time. You're doing something new, so it will be difficult. But you will have the skill for the rest of your life though, don't forget :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

AusTac wrote:From experience this weekend... MOUNT YOUR OWN SCOPE, some guys in the shops are absoloute butchers!

Then you also know how its mounted and that its done right, hardest part will be getting the reticle straight i usually do it by eye but i'm not shooting 1km eaither where a few degrees will really make a difference

That. DIY is best.
Get the eye relief right first, as G said & maybe use a pencil to mark it on the scope beside the rings. Wear your hunting clothes when setting eye relief.
I use some thing like the bricks at the corner of the house to help get the vertical right. Trust your eye and brain as someone said earlier.

My god some people say a lot. ;)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 31 Dec 2017, 5:36 pm

Don't overthink it. It's really not hard. Take your time and don't be a Neanderthal when doing up the screws. Do them up half a turn at a time diagonally so you torque it down evenly. Like a car wheel.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 31 Dec 2017, 9:59 pm

The thing I find is that mounting a scope myself Is that I set a good eye relief for me. Not always the case when others mount it or you.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by albat » 31 Dec 2017, 10:16 pm

Get the scope on your gun lightly tighten the screws close your eyes , pick up up the rifle and shoulder it ,open your eyes if you have a clear picture you are good to tighten if not adjust the scope back or forward until you get a clear picture , this is an age old method of fitting a scope to your gun good luck mate
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2018, 8:24 pm

have a go yourself its costs nothing and you will learn something
may not be perfect first time or tenth but you will get it right
just dont bend or force things in the process :drinks:
and learn to bore sight its not difficult when you know how :thumbsup:
as has been said utube is your friend :friends:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jan 2018, 8:50 pm

albat wrote:Get the scope on your gun lightly tighten the screws close your eyes , pick up up the rifle and shoulder it ,open your eyes if you have a clear picture you are good to tighten if not adjust the scope back or forward until you get a clear picture , this is an age old method of fitting a scope to your gun good luck mate

As above but set zoom to maximum as that'll be the minimum eye relief required :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bushie » 03 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

Supaduke wrote:Don't overthink it. It's really not hard. Take your time and don't be a Neanderthal when doing up the screws. Do them up half a turn at a time diagonally so you torque it down evenly. Like a car wheel.

++++1
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 04 Jan 2018, 12:05 pm

yeah like other have mentioned, gun shops not terribly good at scope mounting, particularly they don't seem to level the scope correctly. If your setup has flat bases like weaver style bases or Picatinny rail, i bought this little device, simple and works a treat for getting the scope level.

479454.jpg
479454.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics