Looking for a new scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Looking for a new scope

Post by Diizane » 14 Jan 2018, 3:59 pm

I'm hoping i can get some advice on which scope to go for on my Remington 783 in 223.

I currently shoot 69gr match ammunition (aussie outback) for primarily target shooting and i'm finding the stock scope to be a bit of a hassle and relatively unclear at times. My current scope is a 3-9x40.

I'm looking to get a higher quality glass, with perhaps a larger magnification. 4-12 perhaps around the 300-400$ mark.

I've been looking at Vortex scopes (Crossfire II & Diamondback) but i'm open to other suggestions.

Cheers for the help.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Looking for a new scope

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

Diizane wrote:I'm hoping i can get some advice on which scope to go for on my Remington 783 in 223.

I currently shoot 69gr match ammunition (aussie outback) for primarily target shooting and i'm finding the stock scope to be a bit of a hassle and relatively unclear at times. My current scope is a 3-9x40.

I'm looking to get a higher quality glass, with perhaps a larger magnification. 4-12 perhaps around the 300-400$ mark.

I've been looking at Vortex scopes (Crossfire II & Diamondback) but i'm open to other suggestions.

Cheers for the help.

Personally I think the higher-quality glass is better for hunting where you have different light conditions and need to pick out detail against camouflaged backgrounds. For range work in daylight I think the cheaper scopes are just fine, at least until you get out past about 500m. For target shooting I also prefer higher magnification, 18-power is good, 40-power is better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 14 Jan 2018, 4:18 pm

I have Vortex crossfire 2 on my 7mm 08. It not a bad scope. But the glass isn't the clearist on max magnification. I have the 6x18 x50 model. But Vortex warranty is pretty good. The only other thing is staring at 6 magnification is a bit high sometimes. I'd prefer it if range started at 4.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ten » 14 Jan 2018, 5:42 pm

If your budget can stretch to a Swarovski, then a Z5 is is the perfect choice. Amazing glass and the BT turret is exceptional.
David.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 14 Jan 2018, 5:58 pm

There are quite a few Nightforce 8 *32 56 scopes on the market at the moment for about $1000. The reason they are for sale is that the owners have upgraded to the new 12*55 50 scope which has great glass but a very fine reticle you need good eyes. There are some very good reticals on the 8-32 benchrest as well. I have that scope and prefer it over my NXS the reitical on that being a bit heaver again and adjustments are in 1/4 MOA on the Benchrest model they are 1/8 MOA with plenty of adjustment. It would be just as good out hunting as it is on the bench. In fact it has a better illumination with 10 settings easily adjustable the NXS only has the on off any adjustment has to be made by taking it apart and adjusting a small pot. A real pain as if it is really dark you need to have it just on or it will flare the retical. Any daylight left and you cant see its on. Nightforce put the Benchrest type of adjustment on all scopes.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by hazza3006 » 15 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

I recently puchased a Hawke airmax 4-12×50 with AO. its by far the best scope I've ever owned, crystal clear bright optics even on max magnification and the reticule is perfect for both target and hunting. Its even a better scope than my weaver grandslam 3-10×50. I wasn't impressed by the vortex crossfire ii, optics are not clear on high magnification settings and seemed really dull overall.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Diizane » 16 Jan 2018, 11:16 am

So i've sort of narrowed it down and now i'm trying to decide between 4 scopes.

Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 VMR-1
Diamondback 4-12x40
Leupold VX-1 4-12X40
Leupold VX-2 4-12X40

Any insight on these scopes would be greatly appreciated.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jan 2018, 11:57 am

When you say "primarily for target shooting", what sort of target shooting?
Do you mean just going to the range and shooting paper or structured competition?
If you are looking at competition shooting, go to a shoot and have a look what people are using. Don't be intimidated by the top shelf stuff, just ask what they recommend for starting out or what's available in your budget.
Ideally a target scope needs to be fitted with easily adjustable turrets with easy to read graduations and a reliable mechanism that will handle repeat adjustments.
You need enough magnification to see what you are shooting at. If you are just poking holes in paper at 100m for sh*ts and giggles, you don't need the magnification that someone trying to hit a "fly" @ 500m in competition needs.
I prefer a fine crosshair with a target dot reticle rather than some of the "cluttered" ones on the market but the choice is wide and varied and totally personal.
There really is no one that is better than the other, it is what suits your eye and application best.
The scopes you list are realistically at the "starting" end for target shooting applications.
Not taking the p!ss, just giving a heads up. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 8:33 am

I like my Diamondbacks (vortex) but if you are correcting for range (drop) and windage all the time they are just not up to it. Speaking from experience.
Try to stretch to something a step or two up so the scope turrets are reliable when adjusting.
I'd call the Vortex DB a set and forget type scope fir hunting or fixed distance target shooting.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 11:38 am

Swarovski z6 2.5-14 x 44 high end
Or look at the Nikon’s - really good glass for the money in the mid-low end stuff also do a tactical knob range I believe.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jan 2018, 12:08 pm

For my 2 cents worth, I reckon that the scopes you mentioned won't be much good for a bit of serious target shooting but OK for hunting purposes. For serious target work much higher power is required. If shooting targets for practice, load testing etc, yep will do the work out to about 400yds.
In the field, actually hunting, scopes around 3-9 or 4-12 are fine; any higher like 6 - X, the field of view is too narrow plus the extra weight.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 Jan 2018, 2:47 pm

I cant see the holes of a 223 on a plain white board at 100m using a 18* scope. Serious target shooting starts at 32* entry level at 25* really starting to be valuable on good days 42-55 times. Of course the rifle has to match how serious you want to be though. I would pick one end either the rifle or the scope and save for the target specific one. Get the cheaper other component in the package to get you started then upgrade the weaker link
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2018, 2:56 pm

sungazer wrote:I cant see the holes of a 223 on a plain white board at 100m using a 18* scope. Serious target shooting starts at 32* entry level at 25* really starting to be valuable on good days 42-55 times. Of course the rifle has to match how serious you want to be though. I would pick one end either the rifle or the scope and save for the target specific one. Get the cheaper other component in the package to get you started then upgrade the weaker link

Jezus your eyes are bad mate, I can see em with my 3-9x50 Nikon no worries and their 20cal holes :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2018, 2:56 pm

To the OP, I assume you've foucused the eye piece for your eyes?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 21 Jan 2018, 4:43 pm

I might of been exaggerating a bit. But if its the first shot and it lands on the black ring of the target bloody hard to see. Also I tend to shoot late evening when its not so hot and there is no wind. But still if you go to a smallbore Benchrest competition you wont look out of place with a Nightforce Benchrest scope or similar. You have to be able to see a ball point pen size dot that is the size of the X
There are other ways if you don't have the scope power to see it such as framing part of the target with your retical. Just if want to do a specific type of shooting and its not a whole heap more in the overall scope of spend in equipment thats what I would recommend doing.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rikta » 21 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm

anything in 12 power or less, 50mm if ya spotlighting, but honestly in summer if youre in warmer areas dont ever expect that gun to shoot the same each time unless you change out the stock for something much more solid.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cool » 21 Jan 2018, 9:45 pm

I would consider Nikon Prostaff good quality clear glass in your price range