Thermal hunting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Thermal hunting

Post by brinny » 21 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

andreweden wrote:That is something I am attracted to on the ATN is the in built recording.

Dont know anything about them mate, so cant offer comment or advice, but Brett1868 here seems to have, be worth having a chat to him....Pulsar have a new line out now with built in recorders too....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 21 Jan 2018, 9:17 pm

brinny wrote:
andreweden wrote:That is something I am attracted to on the ATN is the in built recording.

Dont know anything about them mate, so cant offer comment or advice, but Brett1868 here seems to have, be worth having a chat to him....Pulsar have a new line out now with built in recorders too....

Choices choices! :clap:
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2018, 9:26 pm

I used my mates ATN I think it was, it didn't do much for me at all, I found it annoying to use to be honest, I had issues of not being able to see for a minute or so after using it, I tiny screen to look for things etc, much rather a spotlight and scope myself and the price of these things is way too much for me to have tied up just so I can shoot animals.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brinny » 21 Jan 2018, 9:34 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I used my mates ATN I think it was, it didn't do much for me at all, I found it annoying to use to be honest, I had issues of not being able to see for a minute or so after using it, I tiny screen to look for things etc, much rather a spotlight and scope myself and the price of these things is way too much for me to have tied up just so I can shoot animals.

Hear where your comming from mate....each to their own....the black spot in the eyes is very common, but does dissapear quickly though....Thermal has its benefits, like being able to spot critters out at one and a half kms away...cant identify them of course at that range, but you can see that there is something there and go take a look....cant do that with spotlights...can find critters easily with thermal after shooting them at distance than you can with lights....especially in thick scrub etc...there is good and bad points to both....comes down to personal choice i guess....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 21 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm

Check out the Leupold LTO Tracker which retail around the $950 mark, I bought one to do the initial scanning and spotting. Much easier and lighter then swinging a rifle around and excellent for following blood trails or finding pests post shooting to ensure they're dead. Leupold also have a cheaper model "LTO-Quest" that combines a thermal imager along with a torch though I haven't played with one yet.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jan 2018, 10:47 pm

I too like my foxing...but for that price ill keep with the sporting option & stick to my spotlight.

Good footage though...i would like to give it a crack.

Id imagine you'd want access to many properties to avoid shooting out all hunting stock pretty quickly.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 21 Jan 2018, 11:06 pm

This is something I've been keeping an eye on, specifically the ATN X-Sight II scope. Especially that I am a night owl and this could work for Friday night hunts. I heard good reports about it. Especially when the IR torch is replaced by something with a bit more power.

brett1868 wrote:A word on ATN....I've owned ATN scopes and will never own another, the 1 I had was returned and money refunded.

Brett, can you share more details? Model, issues, inherent issues in future models perhaps, etc?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 3:39 am

brett1868 wrote:Check out the Leupold LTO Tracker which retail around the $950 mark, I bought one to do the initial scanning and spotting. Much easier and lighter then swinging a rifle around and excellent for following blood trails or finding pests post shooting to ensure they're dead. Leupold also have a cheaper model "LTO-Quest" that combines a thermal imager along with a torch though I haven't played with one yet.

The leupold tracker is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Pulsar XQ50 monoculor....What functions does it have on it Brett?....can you record with it at all?....I bought my monoculor for the very reason you say about swinging your rifle around....after lifting the rifle up and down 150 times a night the arms are about ready to drop off.....Im pretty impressed with the monoculor and all its functions, although i dont use a heck of a lot of them....

My Pulsar monoculor
https://i.imgur.com/6t2ZrKg.jpg

Here is some footage of a fox i took filming with the monoculor early one morning.....
https://youtu.be/Au92iy49bLM
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jan 2018, 9:02 am

Nice work and very, very interested. Went to the Brisbane gun shop to check out the ATN but too many kids playing with them. I'd need a day/night scope combobut not too sure.about the ATN.
Anyway, enjoyed the videos and report.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

juststarting wrote:This is something I've been keeping an eye on, specifically the ATN X-Sight II scope. Especially that I am a night owl and this could work for Friday night hunts. I heard good reports about it. Especially when the IR torch is replaced by something with a bit more power.

brett1868 wrote:A word on ATN....I've owned ATN scopes and will never own another, the 1 I had was returned and money refunded.

Brett, can you share more details? Model, issues, inherent issues in future models perhaps, etc?

I owned an x-sight 2 5-20 and it went back, do not believe the bullchit from the atn sales man or x-sight owners group, I would not buy again :thumbsdown:
it is to good to be true and they are made for an ar format they do not fit hunting rifles properly, you cannot stretch your neck enough :shock:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 10:07 am

My feedback, though brief, came directly from a person I know... So I am interested in specifics, rather than blanket statements like 'dont believe the salesman'.

So far we have height.
Anything else?

I'm not saying anyone is full of crap, by the way. I'm just after technical review about what makes it bad. Entry level is circa $1k which is a lot of money for a toy. Hence I'd like to know the details.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 22 Jan 2018, 10:36 am

I am also curious if those that have sent ATNs back whether they were thermal or night vision?
I think the X-sights are all night vision which all require some form of illumination whether moon/starlight or an IR spotty.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 10:39 am

andreweden wrote:I am also curious if those that have sent ATNs back whether they were thermal or night vision?
I think the X-sights are all night vision which all require some form of illumination whether moon/starlight or an IR spotty.

I think they are thermal, require IR torch. As far as I know...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jan 2018, 10:44 am

juststarting wrote:
andreweden wrote:I am also curious if those that have sent ATNs back whether they were thermal or night vision?

The ATN X-Sights are not thermal. They are a FLIR unit that requires an IR torch (>900nm I believe) to see in the dark.
I've read mixed reviews about them. Users of them either seem to be very happy with the unit, or not happy at all :unknown:
Though ATN do also sell Thermal products. No idea what they are like though.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 10:52 am

Uh, I did mean IR...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

Anyhow.... Be interesting to see first hand accounts.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 11:43 am

Stix wrote:I too like my foxing...but for that price ill keep with the sporting option & stick to my spotlight.

Id imagine you'd want access to many properties to avoid shooting out all hunting stock pretty quickly.

Can assure you mate, there is nothing unsporting about using thermal... not much differen in having a fox sitting there looking at you at 100m with a spotlight and one at 100 m with the thermal... difference is you can get the light shy ones with the thermal that you can't with the spotlight....I shot over 300 last year with the thermal off the properties that I have, and I was still getting them off the same properties at the end of the season... they just keep coming back....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 22 Jan 2018, 12:03 pm

juststarting wrote:

Thermal do not require an IR torch, that is night vision.
Pulsar and ATN both make both Thermal and Night Vision gear which is why I am interested who had what.

Night vision gear is also called an image intensifier and needs light in the 'near IR'. Basically, just beyond what we can see with our eyes and what an IR spotlight or torch can put out. These are the green goggles pilots wear to fly.

Thermal 'sees' the heat of the target and the differences in heat and whilst it is IR energy - it was waaaay beyond what we can see and needs no illumination at all. This is what FLIR pods use on fighter aircraft.

Great comparison on this link with the same scene in Thermal vs Night vision.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-thermal-imaging-vs-night-vision-devices.html
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2018, 12:17 pm

I owned an x-sight 2 5-20 and it went back, do not believe the bullchit from the atn sales man or x-sight owners group, I would not buy again :thumbsdown:
it is to good to be true and they are made for an ar format they do not fit hunting rifles properly, you cannot stretch your neck enough :shock:

Almost my experience exactly, software was buggy as hell, obliterated batteries, no external power in option, cross hairs at 10 O'clock position after setting zero. Factories response was to wait a random number of weeks for a "firmware" update, waited several weeks and the new version essentially crippled many "Features". Their idea of a bug fix was to disable the entire feature...admittedly the Aus importer was pretty decent about it and didn't hesitate to refund. Had the Pulsar a bit over 2.5yrs and not a single issue and I know the importer stands by their product in respect to support & after sales service.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 12:30 pm

Mate uses an IR torch with his, that's the good feedback I've been getting. I'll ask for more details.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 1:01 pm

juststarting wrote:Mate uses an IR torch with his, that's the good feedback I've been getting. I'll ask for more details.

Sounds like your mate is using night vision... not thermal.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

Mkay... Either way, I'd like to know what specifically made people return the scopes and what models.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 3:04 pm

height has nothing to do with the x-sight 2 being not a good buy, juststarting

eye relief is what the problem with fitting it to a hunting rifle, they are made to fit an ar platform, mine burnt out because the manual said to use lithium battery's and when the battery's were installed the x-sight2 camera scope burnt out, farken fried instantly, this is the reason they send battery instructions with the camera scope now to stop you from being able to put in a claim.
I was told by the owner of ATN that the voltage output of the battery was how you got the size eg: AA, AAA ect.. not by the physical size
I had to contact x-sight America to force him to replace the camera scope,
I sold the x-sight2 camera scope on to a guy who I know very well who recons he knew more than me and would not have any fuss with it because of all his worldly nerdy knowledge, farken bullchit he got rid of it not long after :lol: :lol: :lol: nerdy knowledge did him no good just made him a nerd :lol:

its just an ir camera adapted to fit onto a rifle and not a very good one or very well either :thumbsdown:
they do not work as hyped up by the salesman,not even close, another blanket statement by an ex owner of the x-sight2 5x20

have a look at some home made ones on utube you would be better off
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg5-z_RXQp0
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 3:18 pm

That's helpful. Thanks!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jan 2018, 4:48 pm

Yeah, maybe Marksman but be careful what it's mounted on; like nothing with more recoil than a 22lr or air rifle. I was interested in a model from England but any rifle with a bit of recoil, the batteries came loose and connection was broken....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by drbolsen » 22 Jan 2018, 7:19 pm

I own xsight scope, it works fine, one just needs to manage ones expectations. I use it only on 22lr.

I made few small adjustments that made the whole experience better
- forget batteries, use external power bank with coiled USB cable
- buy better IR torch than the one that comes with the scope
- use or build a night vision spotter if you are hunting in unknow area, it is like using binoculars during daylight to spot a target then point and use scope for a shot. During the night this becomes more important.
- shooting distance becomes shorter, one rarely needs shoot beyond 100m, adjust scope accordingly.
- dence grass or bush will hide small targets, e.g. rabbits
- fine tune screen brightness setting, otherwise if it is too bright it might become a bit painful for eyes over long period
Last edited by drbolsen on 22 Jan 2018, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drbolsen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brinny » 22 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

Couple of clips of critters taken last year....

https://youtu.be/2j4bGBki1-M

This critter just didnt want to stop.....had my chance about halfway through, but had the bolt up on the rifle, so missed that chance...got him in the end though....
https://youtu.be/2j4bGBki1-M

Results of my annual pilgrimadge to Simpson.....actually got 9 for the night, but couldnt find two in bullrushes....
https://i.imgur.com/717qcqk.jpg
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2018, 11:39 pm

brinny wrote:
Stix wrote:I too like my foxing...but for that price ill keep with the sporting option & stick to my spotlight.

Can assure you mate, there is nothing unsporting about using thermal... not much differen in having a fox sitting there looking at you at 100m with a spotlight and one at 100 m with the thermal... difference is you can get the light shy ones with the thermal that you can't with the spotlight....I shot over 300 last year with the thermal off the properties that I have, and I was still getting them off the same properties at the end of the season... they just keep coming back....

Sorry brinny--i should've said :sarcasm: after the 'sporting' comment...no offense meant.

You're right about the light shy ones, & about still getting them keep on coming on the same properties...
I just find that doesnt happen much for me lately due to neighbouring land owners more proactive in shooting & baiting.

I do have one of those leupold thermal trackers though...so far im yet to use it effectively as i find im blinded for a time after viewing with it...
I tried it on some roos & a mate (obviously not to shoot them) & found the transition from thermal to rifle scope/spotlight almost impossible due to the temporary blinding effect.
I also fail to see how the fox wouldnt see me using it given how bright it is...
I need to experiment with the equipment & give it more time...but as it stands now, i want to buy more guns before i buy thermal equipment.
And like i said, id really like to give it a crack one day...so if you're ever over here & willing to take a tag-alonger, give me a bell & ill get us out on a property or 2 over here.

Cheers mate...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 23 Jan 2018, 3:55 am

Stix wrote:
brinny wrote:

Sorry brinny--i should've said :sarcasm: after the 'sporting' comment...no offense meant.

You're right about the light shy ones, & about still getting them keep on coming on the same properties...
I just find that doesnt happen much for me lately due to neighbouring land owners more proactive in shooting & baiting.

I do have one of those leupold thermal trackers though...so far im yet to use it effectively as i find im blinded for a time after viewing with it...
I tried it on some roos & a mate (obviously not to shoot them) & found the transition from thermal to rifle scope/spotlight almost impossible due to the temporary blinding effect.
I also fail to see how the fox wouldnt see me using it given how bright it is...
I need to experiment with the equipment & give it more time...but as it stands now, i want to buy more guns before i buy thermal equipment.
And like i said, id really like to give it a crack one day...so if you're ever over here & willing to take a tag-alonger, give me a bell & ill get us out on a property or 2 over here.

Cheers mate...

Certainly no offence taken mate.....I have a thicker skin than that....
Appreciate the offer, and vice versa...if you find you are over my area...would like to take you out and let you see first hand how it all works.... :thumbsup:
You do get a black spot in the eyes for a short time after using thermal, but it is only for a short time...the eyes adjust back pretty quickly....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 29 Jan 2018, 1:23 pm

These new ones in a more conventional form factor certainly make the choice more interesting.
I think they were only just released at Shot Show.

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-4-640-2-5-25x
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics