Avalon Pro HD Bino's

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Avalon Pro HD Bino's

Post by Cool » 30 Jan 2018, 9:34 am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here used Avalon Pro HD 10x42 Binos or know anything about them. They are Australian Bino's and
apparently better than mid range Bino's under $1000. These Bono's cost about $240 and seems to be a great value
procular.com.au have listed these Binos under top 5 hunting Bino's.

Please share your thoughts
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Avalon Pro HD Bino's

Post by Cool » 01 Feb 2018, 11:29 am

Seems like no one knows about Avalon scopes :) if you do please share your thoughts
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 01 Feb 2018, 3:49 pm

Cool wrote:Hi Guys,

Has anyone here used Avalon Pro HD 10x42 Binos or know anything about them. They are Australian Bino's and
apparently better than mid range Bino's under $1000. These Bono's cost about $240 and seems to be a great value

Not familiar with them but I am always sceptical of claims such as those when it comes to optics.
I love my vortex viper HDs 10x42 and theyre are widely touted as "the best $1000 optics, as good as those twice as much" but side by side with my mates Swaros, pfffft.
Bigjobss

Post by straightshooter » 13 Feb 2018, 8:04 am

If you truly think these binoculars are 'Australian' and are any good then could I interest you in a Harbour Bridge that I happen to have for sale, cheap!

The optics manufacturing industry is just about non existent in Australia and much of it consists of spectacle frame imports from China that cost $1 or $2 each and are resold for $100 or $200.
The binoculars you refer to are a low priced roof prism type. They have been badged with the name Avalon possibly because it sounds reminiscent to Olivon which has a good reputation among binocular people.
A rule of thumb is that at about the same ex factory price level, porro prism (dog leg barrel) binoculars will always be superior to roof prism binoculars. The reasons for this require a longer explanation than I am prepared to go into here.

For decent quality binoculars in your price range I would suggest you have a look at Nikon Action Extreme (Nikon AE waterproof) that can be found on US ebay for about half the asking price in Australia. Don't be afraid to consider 'factory refurbished' units if they are on offer.That's what I bought in 8x40 a few years ago and I am still impressed with them.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Feb 2018, 6:54 pm

So not named after the Toyota Avalon?
Bigjobss

Post by Cool » 19 Feb 2018, 10:02 am

straightshooter wrote:

If you truly think these binoculars are 'Australian' and are any good then could I interest you in a Harbour Bridge that I happen to have for sale, cheap!

The optics manufacturing industry is just about non existent in Australia and much of it consists of spectacle frame imports from China that cost $1 or $2 each and are resold for $100 or $200.
The binoculars you refer to are a low priced roof prism type. They have been badged with the name Avalon possibly because it sounds reminiscent to Olivon which has a good reputation among binocular people.
A rule of thumb is that at about the same ex factory price level, porro prism (dog leg barrel) binoculars will always be superior to roof prism binoculars. The reasons for this require a longer explanation than I am prepared to go into here.

For decent quality binoculars in your price range I would suggest you have a look at Nikon Action Extreme (Nikon AE waterproof) that can be found on US ebay for about half the asking price in Australia. Don't be afraid to consider 'factory refurbished' units if they are on offer.That's what I bought in 8x40 a few years ago and I am still impressed with them.

Thanks Straightshooter for very helpful and logical info
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 25 Feb 2018, 9:54 am

Cool keep looking on gumtree I found a pair of Leica trinovid older style for under $300,and tin assed a pair of Swaros off a garage sale for $25,they were opera glasses but are same as the regular glasses just with a fancy case and a few sparkles on them.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Cool » 14 Mar 2018, 3:49 pm

Hugh wrote:Cool keep looking on gumtree I found a pair of Leica trinovid older style for under $300,and tin assed a pair of Swaros off a garage sale for $25,they were opera glasses but are same as the regular glasses just with a fancy case and a few sparkles on them.

Thanks mate sure i wil keep eye on Gumtree
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Peter9.3x74 » 09 Aug 2020, 10:46 am

The ones sold too cheap on ebay may burn your fingers probably some crackhead who stole them and had no idea on value selling them too cheap either that or a hunters missus who believed he only paid $100 for his Leica Binos ;)
Peter9.3x74
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rossfrb » 12 Aug 2020, 11:51 pm

If on a budget don't discount some of the older Pentax PCF models.
These can be real bargains for nice Japanese optics. Later models may no longer be Japanese made.
As with most 2nd hand optics that are not sealed, best to check for internal fungus.I flip them around and look in through the objectives.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 13 Aug 2020, 5:15 pm

Pentax are good options. The general levels for optics I find are

1.Budget chinese stuff, a couple hundred bucks or less usually.
2. Decent chinese level stuff, - many name brands utilise this for their mid range models( for example vortex, celestron, opticron, athlon)
3 .Decent non-chinese made stuff. Steiner, leupold,Fujinon, Nikon, (also the japs make the higher end units for several brands like Opticron, athlon and I think vortex).
4. The major Euro brands, Leica, Swarovski, Ziess etc.

Many brands will have models across 2-3 quality levels too. Also some factories will supply optics for multiple brands, for example the Athlon ares which are classed as a great new comer in spotting scopes are just rebadged Cabelas Krotos both from the same joint in china.

My personal choice is the decent level 3 or Jap made stuff. In a line up its hard to tell the difference between a pentax or fujinon image quality and the level 4 stuff, and the level 4 stuff commands 2-3 the price. The level 3 stuff is also where most military binocular contracts are to keep costs reasonable. One of the worlds best binos has always been the Fujinon series in FMTRC. These are no-nonsense military and marine binoculars, Fuji has held the contract for the Australian army at times, have image quality close to the top brands and long warranties.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics