Scope for 300 win mag

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for 300 win mag

Post by Sam45 » 01 Feb 2018, 8:51 pm

Evening peps,

Just purchased a 300 win mag, I grabbed a Sendaro SF 2. Now I'm stuck for a scope. I have a Nightforce and Leupold scopes. I need something light and to push it out as I get better with the rifle. Mostly hunting, but also will push it out as I learn it along the way.

Cheers
Sam
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Scope for 300 win mag

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

G'day Sam45 mate I have just acquired a sako 7mm and have a Swarovski Z3 BRX reticle I used to have it on a 25-06
and am very pleased with it and glad I bought it
once you have got used to the reticle its very easy and quick to use
They are up there in price I paid $1300 3 yrs ago but well worth it in my opinion
These scopes can be set to your handload once you have settled on one you just visit Swarovski Ballistic Calculator
online and fill in the info and it will calculate the increments on your scope and give you the figures
Not sure this is of any help to you but thought i'd share it with you

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Strikey » 01 Feb 2018, 9:34 pm

Do some muscle building exercise and then put a Nightforce on it, you know you want to :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 04 Feb 2018, 7:44 pm

Had a look at the Swaros, still not sold on them. They are at a top tier price point and only have a 10 yr warranty. Went the Nightforce route instead. Thanks for the replys.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by lxchin » 26 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

Sam45: which nightforce were you looking at?
I am torn between the Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 and the new Leopold v5hd (https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-sc ... -3-6-18x44). Both are FFP, which i find is great for longer shots 400m.
lxchin
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sam45 » 14 Mar 2018, 8:07 am

lxchin wrote:Sam45: which nightforce were you looking at?
I am torn between the Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 and the new Leopold v5hd (https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-sc ... -3-6-18x44). Both are FFP, which i find is great for longer shots 400m.

I all ready own the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 FFP so I used it. I was going to buy the HD5. If I didn't have the SHV I would have dropped the money on the Leupold for sure. Looked through it and the glass is better than my SHV as the glass is not on the same level as the HD5. Don't get me wrong, the SHV is pretty bloody good..
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by slickncghia » 14 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

Meopta meostar?

I've got a meopro that I rate but it dosent have all the nice turrets you probably want to shoot lr
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Mar 2018, 8:38 pm

I like the leupold vx3i-lrp scopes :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm

The Nightforce BR models are light and second hand about $1000 a lot of scope for that money. The Nightforce Competition is even lighter much more expensive better glass but I would not really recommend it for anything else than target or the NXS heavier but more robust.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 18 May 2018, 8:34 pm

I have a friend who uses a 8 - 32 NXS on his 300 WM and it appears adequate with not an issue after many bumps and bruises out hunting. That said I have a BR version on a 7mm hunting rifle and not an issue. Small inconvenience reaching to the front of the scope to adjust the focus.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 May 2018, 8:45 pm

Why are ffp retical said great for longer 400 metre shots? Do you dial for elevation or hold over? I am not a fan, in low light conditions you lower the magnification, then the retical gets too fine to see. You then look for the illuminated retical only to find the battery is flat.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 18 May 2018, 11:51 pm

The FFP reticals remain to scale no matter what magnification you are on so judging say 12 inches or 10 cm is much easier. Normally even on the lowest magnification the middle of the retical is not cluttered and as you up the magnification a lot of the retical moves out and out of your view. I would say they are good from 50 m and up once you get to 400 you are more than likely on max magnification and the retical would be the same as a second focal plane.
With second focal planes the reticals is only to scale at a certain magnification say for a 32 times mag it would be to scale at 20 times.
I have never used the illuminated retical on either the first or second focal planes as by the time it is needed it is to dark to make out an image in the scope.
It is a bit tougher to get used to when you have some of both but if you know your holdovers and windages the FFP allows you to take quicker shots as you can hold off with confidence rather than dial a scope knob
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 19 May 2018, 8:57 am

I use a SWFA SS fixed 10x on my 338winmag. Got it imported for under $1000 with all the extras. They are bombproof and the same scope the US Army was using on thier big guns. They are even rated for 50BMG which I thought was neato. Cool scopes.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 19 May 2018, 3:34 pm

Thanks Sungazer, I understand how FFP works I just don't like them. The reticals are too heavy at high magnification and too fine at low magnification. They are good for PRC shooter but for varmint shooters it is just as easy to dial your elevation. Your at at 100, you see your target at 325, you dial up 4.5 MOA and aim dead on. Easy peasy.
I have never heard a bad word about SWFA scopes. You get great value value with fixed power scopes, no debating the merits of which focal plane to use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics