Buying a scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Buying a scope

Post by Matthewec » 29 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I am chasing some advice on buying my first scope.

I currently use a Remington 7600 pump with red dot. I like red dot shooting but it is essentially useless past a 100yds.

I don't hunt often but when I do hunt it is mainly for pigs, horses and scrub bulls.

What I want is a scope that has a large exit pupil similar to the look I get using red dot I don't want to be looking through a pin dot. I want to pick the rifle up see the target have cross hairs and fire.

Can anyone recommend anything for me as it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Matthewec
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Buying a scope

Post by Aster » 29 Dec 2013, 3:13 pm

Hi Mate,

For what you've described, the things you'll be looking for are low magnification and a wide objective lens if possible.

Something like the 3-9x50mm Leupold would be ideal I reckon. You can get one in the VX-2 series off ebay for about $360

3x will be more magnification than you're red dot obviously but still gives a big field of view for close range shooting. Then you've got anywhere up to the 9x magnification to take you out further.

Comes in a 'wide duplex' reticle version as well so the thicker crosshair bars aren't in the way.

Hows that sound for a first suggestion?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Matthewec » 29 Dec 2013, 3:16 pm

Hi Aster,

Sounds perfect I've tried a cheap Olivon 2-7x32 but it takes forever to get the sight picture as it's like looking through a needle.
Matthewec
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Davies » 29 Dec 2013, 3:20 pm

Hmm,

I was going to suggest the Leupold Hog series which comes in a 1-4. Perfect magnification range for scrub hunting but it only has a 20mm objective.

Aster's suggestion is probably better with that 50mm and zoom for the range so I'll shutup now :lol:
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 29 Dec 2013, 3:24 pm

Bushnell do a similar one in their 'Elite' series too.

They do a 2.5-10x with either a 40mm or 50mm objective. Might be a fraction better for the scrub with that little less magnification. Splitting hairs here now though.

Honestly I don't think you'll notice much difference between the 40mm and 50mm either when you're zoomed out.

Probably save yourself a few $$$ by going with the 40mm too if budget is tight.

It's an option anyway.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Matthewec » 29 Dec 2013, 3:25 pm

Hi Davies,

Any advice is appreciated by us novices :)
Matthewec
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 29 Dec 2013, 3:40 pm

Seconds wrote:Honestly I don't think you'll notice much difference between the 40mm and 50mm either when you're zoomed out.

I reckon that's about right.

I've got scopes with 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes, and others with 40mm objectives and 1" tubes.

If you've got them side by side and switch from one to the other back and forth with a critical eye, I do think the larger objective lense and tube give a slightly bigger picture.

That's looking at it very critically though. For snap shots and low magnification shooting though, I couldn't tell the difference.

Go stick your eye to a few scopes and your local gun shop and I think you'll agree.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 29 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm

Oh, forgot to say.

I have one of the Bushnell Elite scopes, and it was between this and a Leupold VX-2. Both the above suggestions are excellent scopes IMO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jordy » 29 Dec 2013, 3:45 pm

Matthewec wrote:Any advice is appreciated by us novices :)

Yeah, thanks for putting up with my idiotic questions :lol:
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Dec 2013, 4:56 pm

1-6 gives you that little bit extra than the shorter scopes, but if you just want to look up & shoot I would get something that is fixed. It just makes it simpler.
Member-Deleted

Post by Kater » 29 Dec 2013, 7:57 pm

Aster wrote:Something like the 3-9x50mm Leupold would be ideal I reckon. You can get one in the VX-2 series off ebay for about $360

I've got a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm on my 204 ruger.

Great scope IMO.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by reddog » 02 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm

Interestingly enough objective size doesn't make any difference to field of view, the Leupold Hog series suggested by Davies 1-4x20 has from 25m field of view at 100m on 1x to 10m on 4x, the VX1 3-9 x 50 has from 11m to 4.5m, the same as 3-9x40, eye relief which has a big bearing on how quick you can pick up a target, is pretty much the same on all of the leupys at 95 to 105mm.

With the lower magnifications up to about 4x you can use both eyes open to pick up the target and close one for the shot. Field of view and eye relief is a good way of picking good scopes from not so good ones.

IMO the Leupold 1-4x20 pig plex or the VX1 1-4x20 heavy duplex if you don't want illuminated would be perfect.
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics