Where is leupold vx2 glass made?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Where is leupold vx2 glass made?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Feb 2018, 7:58 pm

Can't seem to find anything on the net about it, so does anyone know where leupold vx1 and vx2 glass is made?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Where is leupold vx2 glass made?

Post by Apollo » 21 Feb 2018, 8:22 pm

I know that Leupold VX1's have Made In China written on them, perhaps the VX2 but can't remember looking at one. If you ask Leupold they will say in "Our Factory" in China with "Our Quality Control". I have a Leupold Range Finder "Made in China" and it has been good for many years, no issues.

What sticks in my mind is the "Made In China" story.... I'd rather pay extra for made somewhere else... That's just me.

The number of Leupold Scopes I have are VX3's and above... all made in the USA with Japanese Glass.

Who makes the Glass, well... that is probably very different.

There are few Optical Glass makes in the world. One very large company in Japan, forget the name, that make a huge variety of qualities from very budget to hugely expensive highest standard possible like for the "Hubble Telescope". I would say the glass comes from them but the budget version... My guess.

Pretty certain it would not come from Europe...ie Zeiss Schott Glass... way above Leupolds budget.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 22 Feb 2018, 6:17 am

I did hear that VX1 & VX2 are to shortly be discontinued.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2018, 7:54 am

China.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Feb 2018, 8:37 am

What do you all reckon of vx2, I know its all just personal preference but is there another 4-12x40 around $500 that you would prefer
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Feb 2018, 8:47 am

Mate I have a Bushnell elite 3500 4-12x40 which was somewhere around that price.
I quite like it however I am no expert and have fairly simple tastes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2018, 9:20 am

Check underneath the scope, it should have "Made in USA" and a serial number. If it don't, it's a Chinese made one and expect to have to send it back for repairs. ( that's if it isn't a total knock-off )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

Gamerancher wrote:Check underneath the scope, it should have "Made in USA" and a serial number. If it don't, it's a Chinese made one and expect to have to send it back for repairs. ( that's if it isn't a total knock-off )

Yes i see they have usa designed machined assembled. Was more so asking where the glass is made but appollo answered that :thumbsup:
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 22 Feb 2018, 1:20 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:What do you all reckon of vx2, I know its all just personal preference but is there another 4-12x40 around $500 that you would prefer

Well, a lot of people don't think too much of these but I don't know why as I can't fault mine and I think it rates highly compared to more expensive scopes.

I was going to suggest a Zeiss Terra 4-12x42mm Duplex. They have "Japan" written on the bottom of the turrets and "Designed by Zeiss" stamped on the magnification ring. Who makes them is a bit of a mystery as one story is all the parts come from Zeiss AG and are assembled in Japan, another is that the parts come from Germany and the Glass from Japan and assembled there.

You should be able to find one for under $500...ie Horsley Park Gun Shop $495.00... Retail is well over $600. I bought mine from a local shop a few years ago for $475, box says $510.00. Good scope in my view, mounted on my Rimfire Brno Model 2. I have several scopes valued between $3-4,000.

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/c ... /247-terra

Bit like the story of the old Zeiss Comquest which simply said "Assembled in the USA" but the most acceptable story even from Zeiss was that the Conquest was manufactured in Mexico at the Zeiss factory, Glass came from Japan and everything was assembled in the Zeiss USA factory which is just over the border from the Mexican factory. Who cares, they were a good scope.

I would certainly buy another Zeiss Terra if I wanted one, over the choice of a budget model Leupold or Bushnell. The only Bushnell I have is a 2.5-16x50mm 6500 Elite which is on my CZ527 22 Hornet.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics