Budget Scope for Rimfire

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Budget Scope for Rimfire

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 2:53 pm

For the scope experts out there.. Excuse my ignorance as don't have great knowledge.

I wanted to know what would be the best budget scope for a budget of under $200 for shooting a Rimfire mainly on a 50-100m range. I want the option to shoot a little further if I use it hunting but it's mainly for the range.

Looking at probably a 3-9x40 AO type scope as an option.. Anyone have any thoughts on some budget brands that will do the job, hold zero etc. ?

Cheers.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Budget Scope for Rimfire

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2018, 3:08 pm

Justin9mm wrote:For the scope experts out there.. Excuse my ignorance as don't have great knowledge.

I wanted to know what would be the best budget scope for a budget of under $200 for shooting a Rimfire mainly on a 50-100m range. I want the option to shoot a little further if I use it hunting but it's mainly for the range.

Looking at probably a 3-9x40 AO type scope as an option.. Anyone have any thoughts on some budget brands that will do the job, hold zero etc. ?

Cheers.

Look at the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 223BDC.
Focuses right back to 10m. I have eleven of them now.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 3:31 pm

Just did a google search and found this one on Aliexpress for $176.26 with free shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bushnel ... autifyAB=0
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2018, 3:38 pm

Justin9mm wrote:Just did a google search and found this one on Aliexpress for $176.26 with free shipping...

I've never used Aliexpress but the price is good.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Feb 2018, 3:56 pm

hey J9, i bought a niko sterling AO mountmaster scope for just over $100 from my local GS that works a treat. it came with heavy duty air rifle mounts as well. works good for me on 22lr. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

bigrich wrote:hey J9, i bought a niko sterling AO mountmaster scope for just over $100 from my local GS that works a treat. it came with heavy duty air rifle mounts as well. works good for me on 22lr. cheers

+1 I've got a mount master 6×40 AO on the .22wmr that I brought almost ten years ago for a 100 bucks and have never had an issue with it! I've mounted it on a 94/22, .222 and now on the magnum. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:Just did a google search and found this one on Aliexpress for $176.26 with free shipping...

I've never used Aliexpress but the price is good.

I have used Aliexpress before, it's just that it takes longer for delivery from overseas. They have the 3-9x40 or 3-12x40 of this model as well for a bit cheaper, wouldn't they not be better for a 22 as the 4.5-18 magnification might be too much?

Thanks for the recommendation by the way, It really looks the ticket for the price range!
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 6:37 pm

bigrich wrote:hey J9, i bought a niko sterling AO mountmaster scope for just over $100 from my local GS that works a treat. it came with heavy duty air rifle mounts as well. works good for me on 22lr. cheers

Thanks for the recommendation, I have looked at them and I think they are fine but for an extra $50-$80, I noticed you can get much better build quality and brand like the Bushnell AR Optics as mentioned above.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:Look at the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 223BDC.

bladeracer how do they track
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

G'day Justin9mm...

Just my opinions if it helps...

Steer clear of AO (adjustable objective) scopes...incase you dont know, thats where they focus/parralex correctn on the very front of the scope...i had one...once...had...being past tense...
They are annoying enough off of a bench, but will send you bonkers in the field or spotlighting...!!!

I have 2 Simmons ".44mag 4-12x44 scopes--not too shabby for the cash--nice & bright--good for bunnies--around $170 i think...but you may be able to get them cheaper.

The bushnell suggested above by BR should be ok & is pretty good value...!!--just dont use all the magnification if you dont want it (& if you can help it).---i have one of these but am yet to try it...im not a fan of the big dots myself...not conducive to shooting tight groups up to 6X when the bull is covered...but ok for learning, plinking & bunnies out to a good 50m.

Any of these scopes will do you well for the cash, but remember the price range your looking at--you could end up paying good money for a sheet lead shaping tool...!!

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Strikey » 23 Feb 2018, 8:30 pm

Justin9mm wrote:For the scope experts out there.. Excuse my ignorance as don't have great knowledge.

Cheers.

Shooting targets at 100metres with a rimfire you will need something better than a budget 3-9x40 or whatever, spend once, cry once get yourself a Leupold EFR 6•5-20x40, you need to see where you are hitting and a budget low power scope won't do that for you :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2018, 8:39 pm

Strikey wrote:

Cheers.

Shooting targets at 100metres with a rimfire you will need something better than a budget 3-9x40 or whatever, spend once, cry once get yourself a Leupold EFR 6•5-20x40, you need to see where you are hitting and a budget low power scope won't do that for you :thumbsup:

save a few and get a VX3i 4.5-14X40AO VH REC I have one on a 22 and the best thing I ever did ...... now I have said this knowing you probably don't want to drop this amount of cash , but I will say this scops stay in the home but rifles come and go
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 23 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm

I was playing with a BSA 3-9x40 the other week, for a cheap scope wasn't bad.
Athlon scopes are pretty good for the money when on a budget
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Feb 2018, 8:58 am

look at the bushnell AR.. i have the 3-12 mounted on my Crossover and its good.. the little extra power for range work and good clarity for field work. I generally only use 3-5 power in the field.

Previously i had a Burris E1 Fullfield 3-9x40 scope and that was awesome.. Its now on my 223.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 24 Feb 2018, 9:13 am

hey J9, nikko sterling have been making scopes for a loooong time, and in the budget range, are probably best value for money. BUT, i think spending a bit more money on a qaulity scope is the way to go. i bought a NS scope for my 22lr plinker, but all my serious guns have leupold vx2's and 3's on them. have a "hawke" brand scope 4.5-16x44 on my 22 hornet with IR recticle that is outstanding for the $380 i paid for it. get the best you can afford J9. have a look at hawke scopes but. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Justin9mm » 24 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

Thanks Everyone for their advice and input, I've learnt a lot in the last 24 hours researching. I decided to impulsively go with bladeracer's recommendation of the Bushnell AR 4.5-18x40 223BDC. I think it will serve well for the 22 and I got it from a US retailer through Aliexpress for $176 with shipping which is more than $40 cheaper than the cheapest I found in Aus. I really didn't want to spend more than $200 for my first 22 scope. I think this was a good deal for the price point.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

Justin9mm wrote:I have used Aliexpress before, it's just that it takes longer for delivery from overseas. They have the 3-9x40 or 3-12x40 of this model as well for a bit cheaper, wouldn't they not be better for a 22 as the 4.5-18 magnification might be too much?

Thanks for the recommendation by the way, It really looks the ticket for the price range!

They do make the Rimfire series, but I haven't used them. I swap my scopes around a bit and I specifically wanted identical scopes on every rifle. The AR Optics just fitted my needs perfectly, and focusing back to 10m allows really close-range shooting. The first ones I bought I paid about $300 for them.

I like to be able to see my bullet holes at 100m, and 4.5-power is fine for walking when you need the wide field of view for quick shots.

Ruger American Rimfire Target and Ruger American Rimfire Compact in MDT LSS-22 Chassis with M4 Collapsible stock.
Ruger Compact MDT and Target.jpg
Ruger Compact MDT and Target.jpg (434.58 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 24 Feb 2018, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2018, 3:29 pm

deye243 wrote:bladeracer how do they track

Just fine, although I've only shot a "box test" with two of them, on the .22 and on the .204. I have also not been able to see any point-of-aim drift when changing power setting at all.

On the .22's in particular, the turrets get a good workout at different ranges with different ammo, especially over 50m when it's windy - I often have to dial in 7MoA for wind, or more sometimes, to keep my hits on the paper. On the centrefires once they're zeroed I rarely have to play with them again. Some weeks ago I noticed after a scope adjustment the first shot went quite wide, as if the reticle spring had caught without following the turret (like variables used to in the old days). It could well have been shooting error though and I haven't encountered it again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2018, 4:23 pm

Stix wrote:i have one of these but am yet to try it...im not a fan of the big dots myself...not conducive to shooting tight groups up to 6X when the bull is covered...but ok for learning, plinking & bunnies out to a good 50m.

For precision target shooting I would recommend you use the fine crosshair rather than the dots :-) The crosshair is 0.25MoA - about 7mm at 100m. For even better results aim at a finer point away from the target centre, the corner of a piece of tape is good, but zero to have your bullets drop onto the target. This also means your bullet holes won't change the size and shape of your aiming point.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 19 May 2018, 4:00 pm

Bladeracer do you need to use higher rings as the zoom ring on the rear of the scope is quite chunky on the AR series?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 May 2018, 8:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bladeracer do you need to use higher rings as the zoom ring on the rear of the scope is quite chunky on the AR series?

Just came back inside after fitting a Bushnell Rimfire Optics 6-18x40 on my little PWS T3 Summit. Had to buy a set of Leupold PRW2 Medium rings as the Low set didn't let the zoom ring clear the rail. I think the AR is just as chunky as the Rimfire series so you should be good with medium rings.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2018, 8:55 am

SCJ429 wrote:Bladeracer do you need to use higher rings as the zoom ring on the rear of the scope is quite chunky on the AR series?

I have a large range of rings and bases but I always try to mount my scopes as low as possible.
All seven of my Ruger Americans have the AR Optics 4.5-18x40 scope on mounts that are 9.5mm tall from top of the pic rail to the bottom of the scope tube. I don't recall ever having to raise the scope on any of my rifles to prevent the bolt fouling the scope. I've added some pics of the .243 and my M38 Husky with the same scope.

On my M1904/39 I mounted the AR Optics offset to the left due to the bolt handle. I had to give the bolt handle a very light tweak to stop it from scraping along the eyepiece. But that was a mount I fabricated myself.
Attachments
20180520_083956b.jpg
20180520_083956b.jpg (185.89 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
20180520_084023b.jpg
20180520_084023b.jpg (650.1 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
20180520_084447b.jpg
20180520_084447b.jpg (252.34 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2018, 9:39 am

Thanks Fellas, I have only seen one AR scope and thought you may need to mount them higher. Great to see the pics. Cheers. I wish you could have bought cheap optics this good twenty years ago. I remember a friends Nikko that looked like it had Vaseline smeared on the objective lens it was so clear.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2018, 9:55 am

SCJ429 wrote:Thanks Fellas, I have only seen one AR scope and thought you may need to mount them higher. Great to see the pics. Cheers. I wish you could have bought cheap optics this good twenty years ago. I remember a friends Nikko that looked like it had Vaseline smeared on the objective lens it was so clear.

When I was a kid, variable scopes were still pretty hit & miss, I eventually took the risk and bought a 4-12x40 for my 788 .222Rem and was very impressed with it. I vaguely recall it was around $220, which is also what I paid for my new 10/22. But the rest of my rifles just had fixed 4-power scopes.

This M38 came with a Japanese Nikko Stirlng Silver Crown 4x32, and it's a lovely little scope. But I'm so spoiled nowadays I can't bring myself to mount a fixed 4-power on a rifle instead of the variable 4.5-18-power :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics