Super Astron 6x40

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Super Astron 6x40

Post by Miller » 25 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

G’day, I’ve recently acquired a Ruger M77 30-06 with a Super Astron 6x40 scope fitted to it. Rifle is in excellent condition and (apparently) has only ever had ~300 rounds through it. Unfortunately is shoots about a 4 inch circle at 100m. I suspect, or at least hope, it’s the scope. When googling Super Astron scopes and their likely suitably for a 30-06 I could not find out a thing about them. It’s almost as though I’m the only person in the world with one. Any suggestions as to the quality of a Super Astron scope or its usefulness on a 30-06, or, where I might find some info about them. Please excuse any ignorance, for me firearms are an occupational necessity more than a hobby.
Thanks.
Miller
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Super Astron 6x40

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2018, 5:18 pm

Gday miller
They're a made in Japan scope so they should be a "decent" bit of glass. I don't own a 30-06 so can't really comment on the suitability for that rifle sorry :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2018, 5:40 pm

Miller wrote:G’day, I’ve recently acquired a Ruger M77 30-06 with a Super Astron 6x40 scope fitted to it. Rifle is in excellent condition and (apparently) has only ever had ~300 rounds through it. Unfortunately is shoots about a 4 inch circle at 100m. I suspect, or at least hope, it’s the scope. When googling Super Astron scopes and their likely suitably for a 30-06 I could not find out a thing about them. It’s almost as though I’m the only person in the world with one. Any suggestions as to the quality of a Super Astron scope or its usefulness on a 30-06, or, where I might find some info about them. Please excuse any ignorance, for me firearms are an occupational necessity more than a hobby.
Thanks.

I've never heard of Super Astron scopes, and Google doesn't know much more about them.
Photos might help. Maybe it's a rebranded scope made by somebody else?
Does it say where it was made?
Does the price you paid for the rifle indicate it might be a well-regarded scope?
Can you borrow a scope and mount to try?
Are the scope mount screws all tight?

Does the crown look good?
Are the action screws tight?
Is the bore clean?
Have you tried different types of ammunition?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Feb 2018, 7:06 pm

I believe I had an Astron scope years ago and they are good glass but a very old scope that isn't made anymore
you probably would be better off with something better on your 30-06 IMO
but being ruger it will probably need a few tweaks to get her to dance for you
like getting rid of the forend pressure making the barrel fully floating
make sure the mag box is not binding and can move freely
more than likely lighten the trigger and bed then work up a load or try a few different brands and bullet weights of factory ammo
good luck with it :thumbsup:

forgot to say I rate ruger mk1's very highly :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm

G'day Miller,
I doubt it is the scope, I have had one on an 8mm for over 30 years and it is as good today as when I bought it. What age is your Ruger? Early tang safety 77's had a barrel sourced outside the factory and were renowned for variable accuracy and chamber sizes until Bill Ruger decided to make them in house. I would try and borrow a scope off a friend to eliminate that as a source, but if you should decide to just replace it anyway PM me and I'll buy it off you, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Miller » 25 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

Thanks bladeracer,
The action is good, the bore is clean and I’ve tried different ammo.
Miller
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Miller » 25 Feb 2018, 8:48 pm

Marksman,
I wondered about the floating barrel. Is that just a matter of sanding it out yourself or does it require a little more delicacy than that?
I’ve lightened the trigger as much as possible with out taking to it with an angle grinder. Magazine is free.
Miller
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Miller » 25 Feb 2018, 8:57 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Miller,
I doubt it is the scope, I have had one on an 8mm for over 30 years and it is as good today as when I bought it. What age is your Ruger? Early tang safety 77's had a barrel sourced outside the factory and were renowned for variable accuracy and chamber sizes until Bill Ruger decided to make them in house. I would try and borrow a scope off a friend to eliminate that as a source, but if you should decide to just replace it anyway PM me and I'll buy it off you, Cheers.

It’s 1973 job from what I can figure out from the Ruger website.
I’ve got a Leupold fairly new 10x vx3i on a model 70 Winchester .243 I can put on the 30-06 to try. Like I said earlier though, guns aren’t my forte, so would like to try a few other options first. However, if I do get to this point, will the recoil on the 30-06 f#%* the Leupold?
Miller
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 25 Feb 2018, 10:02 pm

Miller wrote:[
I’ve got a Leupold fairly new 10x vx3i on a model 70 Winchester .243 I can put on the 30-06 to try. Like I said earlier though, guns aren’t my forte, so would like to try a few other options first. However, if I do get to this point, will the recoil on the 30-06 f#%* the Leupold?

No. But it has a real lifetime warranty anyway.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Big Buck » 28 Feb 2018, 12:30 am

I had a Super Astron years ago on my Stevens semi Auto 22, that I inherited from my grandfather, I hadn't heard of them much since until I seen this post.
Big Buck
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

Have you taken the action out of the stock and checked for crap in the inletting?
If not, have a look. Clean out any crap and put it back together. Tighten the screws down to snug then give them another quarter turn. Snug means snug, not wrenched in.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 02 Mar 2018, 8:58 pm

Miller wrote:Marksman,
I wondered about the floating barrel. Is that just a matter of sanding it out yourself or does it require a little more delicacy than that?
I’ve lightened the trigger as much as possible with out taking to it with an angle grinder. Magazine is free.

right at the tip of the for-end in the barrel channel ruger's have a bit of a lump of timber that needs to be sanded back, its there to cause upward pressure
the idea is that it makes the barrel shorter and stiffer so better barrel harmonics, this is good for whippy light barrels but is worth trying without especially with a timber stock that may have moved and is pushing the barrel to the side, if your rifle has had this lump sanded away already it can be put back in to try
I personally would try everything else first including different bullet weights :thumbsup:
sorry to have taken so long to get back to you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics