Is this thing real? Scope / Bino combo?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Is this thing real? Scope / Bino combo?

Post by feedr » 26 Feb 2018, 8:45 am

What a monster :lol:

004.jpg
004.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Is this thing real? Scope / Bino combo?

Post by Sam45 » 26 Feb 2018, 10:23 am

Isn't that one of those fancy shoot anywhere and the bullet will go?
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2018, 10:30 am

Looks like an Infrared emitter on top, so possibly a night sight?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2018, 10:35 am

Nope, I was wrong and Sam45 was spot on.
Just did a reverse image search and found this:
https://www.tracking-point.com
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 26 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Nope, I was wrong and Sam45 was spot on.
Just did a reverse image search and found this:
https://www.tracking-point.com

Yep that's the one mate....crazy stuff to be honest... They are big bucks. :thumbsup:

Starting price USD $16999:00
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 26 Feb 2018, 11:54 am

Not quite shoot anywhere. You mark your target , then pull the trigger, then the actual discharge is electronic. It waits till you wobble to the perfect spot then fires for you. Pretty space age and cool. I'm sure the armed forces would be very interested. Bit cheaty for hunting, very effective for culling.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

I'm not convinced of its claims. Putting the cross hairs on the target is not the hardest part of getting the bullet on the target time after time. The changing wind at multiple points on route to the target is the biggest factor in tight groups on target at long distance. I believe that the human brain is far more capable in making those decisions to come up with a firing solution. The firing solution can change in seconds the human can take all that data from a wide field of view and process that better than any computer I have seen so far.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Supaduke » 26 Feb 2018, 3:17 pm

I don't think it's trying to better a master shooter. It makes novices, inexperienced and average shooters very accurate however. Something the armed forces would be very interested in.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

There are a couple of lines on there that are pretty bold such as "Elite marksmen using today’s most accurate rifles, optics, rangefinders, and ammunition can group shots within 4 inches of their aim point at .57 miles. With a TrackingPoint firearm, your shots will strike within 0.5 inches of your aim point at .57 miles. "

and

"Fire control technology is at the core of Precision-Guided Firearms. It is what allows the average shooter to make shots beyond what the best marksmen in the world can make with any other firearm."

I guess you have to make some pretty bold claims to sell a product like that.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Supaduke » 26 Feb 2018, 4:26 pm

Nothing like marketing hype to generate some interest. I guess at US$17k , which would be at least $25k here, if it could even be exported, most of us will never have to worry if it's any good or not.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Feb 2018, 4:43 pm

At least that money does include the gun. Which might be $3k in the US. Hard for me to fathom the use of it. First you have to identify the target and half pull the trigger anyway. I can see its benefit for moving target or ones that where once still and then became moving. An expensive toy for the guy that has everything.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 26 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

bentaz wrote:
sungazer wrote:At least that money does include the gun. Which might be $3k in the US. Hard for me to fathom the use of it. First you have to identify the target and half pull the trigger anyway. I can see its benefit for moving target or ones that where once still and then became moving. An expensive toy for the guy that has everything.

So what you're saying is Brett's ordered one?

Believe it or not I actually priced one up a couple years ago and was giving it serious consideration till I saw the landed price in Australia up around the $36k mark once all duties, fees, taxes and exchange rates were taken into account.
Essentially their technology couples the scope to the LRF via a ballistics computer. Put dot on target, squeeze trigger, computes the range, drop, temp, azimuth and fires once you achieve the correct hold over. Great technology but (from memory) they only guarantee it if you use their ammo which is friggen ridiculously expensive. With all the tech, it still cannot account for the wind which in my opinion is the biggest deciding factor when trying to hit targets at range.
I shelved the idea and bought the M99 .416 Barret and another 50BMG and was still in front financially :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hugh » 19 Mar 2018, 5:05 am

This was on SBS a while ago,they live up to their claims,also check youtube,their sideline is a computer game.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics