Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Post by brinny » 04 Mar 2018, 5:38 pm

Stix wrote:Ah ok...& fair enuf sbout the velocity brinny...
I wrongly assumed you liked the velocity out of the 17...everyone ive ever spoken to just raves about that side of it.

So, yes mate i strongly suggest trying the 32's mate...im astounded at the efficiency of them...but ive never owned or played with small cal super fast rounds before.

The same (very similar) velocity (im around the 3600fps mark with both 204 & 250) with 50 grnrs in the 22-250 absolutely destroys foxes--no good for pleasant viewing or pelts...
But the 32's in the 204 are so far what id call perfect...one shot in the chest & they fall over right there-no exit-& if i dont hit bone its often hard to find entry wound immediately...

Those 32g Zmax's really are efficient little rippers...

How ever, i would say be wary of head shots with them--the proj's dont have the momentum to carry past the first bit of bone before completely disintergrating so if you hit snout front on it will do pretty horrific damage (ultimately mortal but not nice for the fox) but not penetrate the head...but you would know that from the 17's i guess--so i dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs...!! :thumbsup:

Im not sure how the 32's go energy wise at the ranges you shoot at though...
But still worth a crack mate... :thumbsup:

Im nearly through a box so i gotta buy another one soon...
Now ive discovered the trail boss loads i use it for 200yd plinking up the farm--can shoot constantly & barely get warm...so churn through the pills now...

The trailboss loads are also good for letting young newbie's have a crack...can let them have a decent few shots without pulling them up after just 3 or 4 & telling them to came back in 20 mins.

Gotta fire up the bbq now...a wood one so will prob piss the neighbours off...!!!
:drinks:

Dont get me wrong mate....i like velocity...no worries there....its just the 17 fireball didnt, it looked like i had shot the target with a shotgun shooting BBs....bloody frustrating to say the least....and this was happening consistantly...untill i slowed her up a bit and it improved outstandingly...The best group i shot with it...and thats when i knew i was on a winner (finally) was a four shot group at 150m inside a one cent coin....tackholed....and was the beginning of the downfall of a heck of a lot of foxes i can tell you....

https://i.imgur.com/bxnuXV1.jpg

Im heading into Ballarat in the next day or so to pick up my Polaris RZR shooting buggy i have had getting a lot of work done to it before the fox shooting onslaught starts in earnest, so i will pay a visit to the LGS and get some 32s and give them a go....combine them with the 8208 and start a new chapter....
I dont really target foxes out at distance as per the last vids...I was just to lazy (and unfit) to go chase the buggers...i think they just might have been a tad unlucky they got me on a good night....I tend to try to keep the range reasonable, generally up to a couple of hundred meters max as a rule....but every so often will have a crack at a distance shot....

How do you like your triggers?....i have mine very fine, hair in fact at 4-6 oz.....thats is only on my fox rifles....

Bar-b-que sounds great mate.... :drinks: best of luck with the neighbours....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 9:49 pm

A polaris eh...good one...!! (Im envious)...a farmer has one & id love to use it...especially as you say with the season approaching...!!..

If your mostly out to those shorter ranges you should have no problem with 32's...ive not hit a fox that hasnt fallen down immediately--well a 200 yarder couple of weeks ago took one step forward as it fell-i only picked it for 120 or so yards through the scope though--bad guess--..but thats the furthest ive hit so far. (Its still a young rifle in the field--its tally is only about 12 foxes i think).

I wont have time to sort a load for 40grnr's in the 204 before the fox fun starts...ive got another new 22-250 to get sorted load wise yet...& id like to have that resdy on the back seat for the just in case long shot.
Hopefully it likes 50gr Zmax or the 55 superroo/game kings as i have a new box of each of them...

As for the triggers, yes the tikka triggers are generally pretty good-nice & crisp when they let go, but a little heavy even though i have them wound all the way back..
I have 3 T3's all up & one of them has a little creep in its trigger, but its a walkabout hunter outfit so not as critical--the creep is only "just" there so i only feel the creep after half dozen shots off a bench--dont feel the creep at all when out bush bowling over goats.

It would be nice to get them nearly as light as the Sako--im not sure of pull weight of any of them, but the Sako is light enough wound all the way back.
I should try a cheap ebay light trigger spring...

The bbq was not bad...its a new cheap smoker & it did piss the neighbours off...!! I heard their window slam shut...lmao...but the guy is d1ck head so i dont care.
Tried smoking some chicken & threw half a bunny in there...
The thermostat s**t itself while cooking--i saw the temp drop off so i stoked the fire more & more, & then a bit more until i realised it was cactus- :shock: -whoops- :roll: -so it cooked a little quicker than anticipated, :unknown: but was not bad all the same. :drinks:

I was impressed with the bunny actually, smoked flavour was quite appealing & i thought worked well. something ill experiment more with... :thumbsup:

Anyway...got lotsa brass to prep this this week...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics